Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dangerous incident today - tires

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
So, took the HC today. Gassed it up, added Octanium to the tank of 93. Headed to client's house where work is underway. On way back from there, ran over what looked like some flattened and coiled shipping baling strip, threw it up in the air behind the car (no way to miss it). Did not touch the body; did not look particularly sharp. About 3 miles later, get on the Interstate on ramp and swing out passed a guy in a truck (and a semi ahead of him) and an Acura SUV coming up behind like a bat out of hell, got on it while signalling. Looked down and we're in triple digits, get off the accelerator and as the speedo hits the 88-90 area loud thumping / smacking starts up front on the right. Sounded like the tire had picked something up. Get over to far right lane, sound goes away. Then reappears for a few seconds. Have to go nearly a mile to next exit, but the refinery. Cross over the bridge and into the IUOE parking lot. Get out, with the wheel cut. Initially looks great (the fronts are still the OEM all-seasons) but when I examine the inside of the tire, there is a 1.5" strip torn away down the belts. Will post photos later.

Get to my tire shop and my buddy there reports his Vettes have had the same hard core accelerated tire wear because of the large amount of camber the manufacturers design into the system for enhanced handling. He eventually had to go with non-standard specs to get his tires to last a reasonable amount of time. Deciding whether to buy more OEM AS's because they've always been good in the wet (swap them on the rears for trips, putting 20x11 DR away). Looks to me like those are the best bang for the buck (and I need to maximize tire life and wet performance on the front). Any thoughts?

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #2
Supplemental - picked up the other OEM wheels and tires from the garage and swapped one on to the front for now. All show what is in my opinion excessive wear on the insides. Chunks of tread seemingly torn out.

On a sideline, noticed that one set of the OEM have some minor curb rash (very minor) but it still disappoints me. I suspect it was handling at the tire shop, but they treat me so well there (and there is no proof) that its not worth bringing up.

Last edited:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Did you look at the tire...and with the proper inflection say......I am gravely disappointed......

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Those shipping straps all have some sort of metal clasp/fastener to hold them together. Could be it cut the tire & as the tire heated up + high speed passing caused a bit to chunk off.
Just seems an odd coincidence it would fail 'out of the blue' right after the strap encounter.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Did you look at the tire...and with the proper inflection say......I am gravely disappointed......
I sent it to its room without supper. Does that count?

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
20200506_125646.jpg

20200506_125637.jpg

20200506_125626.jpg

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
I may post up some of the other OEM tires so folks can see what I am referring to with the chunks missing, if that would be useful.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Damn !! Looks like someone mounted it on a lathe & took a bit to it !

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I sent it to its room without supper. Does that count?
Only if you made it stand in the corner for 30 minutes and listened with pleasure to it cry beforehand :p

lh2.gif

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Deciding whether to buy more OEM AS's because they've always been good in the wet (swap them on the rears for trips, putting 20x11 DR away). Looks to me like those are the best bang for the buck
Wet performance was the #1 reason I got rid of the OEM AS. They are terrible. If you need a good AS with reasonable tread wear, check out Conti DWS06s.

BTW- Very glad there was no catastrophic failure at speed during this incident and no injuries.

Last edited:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Supplemental - picked up the other OEM wheels and tires from the garage and swapped one on to the front for now. All show what is in my opinion excessive wear on the insides. Chunks of tread seemingly torn out.

On a sideline, noticed that one set of the OEM have some minor curb rash (very minor) but it still disappoints me. I suspect it was handling at the tire shop, but they treat me so well there (and there is no proof) that its not worth bringing up.
Just curious...had you avoided the road debris...would there still have been this type of tire failure..or would it be a case of unusual wear:unsure:

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
I see no mention of a brand name...

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
First post quote "Initially looks great (the fronts are still the OEM all-seasons) but when I examine the inside of the tire, there is a 1.5" strip torn away down the belts. Will post photos later"

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Pirelli would be the brand name.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Next time stretch for new tires instead of retreads. [histerical]

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Next time stretch for new tires instead of retreads. [histerical]
Funny thing..be it a motorcycle..car or truck...I never run marginal rubber..replace em even when service shops say they have life left...

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
That inside shoulder wear only indicates that you don't take curves and corners anywhere near fast enough.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
Just curious...had you avoided the road debris...would there still have been this type of tire failure..or would it be a case of unusual wear:unsure:
That's the key question. And there is no obvious answer, or way to ascertain. And I neglected to say in the original posting that the coiled strap went down the right side of the car. Narrow two lane country road with head to head traffic and 6 to 8 inch drop off on the side. You pays your money and yous takes your chances.