Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dangerous incident today - tires

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #81
Born on date on the ones I got was December 2017 so not terribly old. Def not past the expiration date
Three years from now at 180+ you aren't going to be thinking, wow, these tires are 6 years old?

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Three years from now at 180+ you aren't going to be thinking, wow, these tires are 6 years old?
Nope, not until a blow out reminds you you should have. DONT settle for old or cheap tires if you run your cat to it’s limits, you only die once.

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Should we discuss the differences in 106Y vs (106Y)?...what percentage of us are running 106Y?

I actually thought the OEM All Season were OK for what they were expected to do, but after changing to a more performance oriented tire...night and day difference.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Of course they age, they are just not stored in sunlight or around ozone generating equipment.
Okay, so if they indeed do age now, why on earth wouldn't I get the freshest tires possible?
I seriously doubt that I'll wear them out even on the 'Cat in six years, unless my driving style changes to lots of full throttle starts from a dead stop, or I start driving it a lot more.

Speed rating? I never have it at full load capacity, don't maintain high speeds for prolonged periods (I can't, if for no other reason, because I'd run out of fuel in 13 minutes), and don't drive in a hot climate.
Speed ratings don't bother me nearly as much as elderly tires do.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #85
UPDATE - ordered 4 tires from same source (but reading between the lines, will come from two different warehouses). Two came quickly (that were supposed to take the longest). Manufactured Q3 2019. Look great. Put them on the fronts. Runs smooth as glass.

Last two tires, which were supposed to come first came today. One is a 2017 and the other a Q1 2018. Returned them for full refund, however was told they cannot replace them because they are entirely out of stock. Which sucks.

eastwood this sucks.gif

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #86
Oh, BTW, the general legal standard appears to be a tire 6 years old or older is considered to be at the end of its lifespan. Interesting fact: that Carrera GT that Paul Walker died in - 9 or 10 year old tires (I can't remember which).

assbiter.jpg

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Indeed. Even if they don't come apart, they sure won't grip like they're supposed to when that old.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #88
Should we discuss the differences in 106Y vs (106Y)?...what percentage of us are running 106Y?

I actually thought the OEM All Season were OK for what they were expected to do, but after changing to a more performance oriented tire...night and day difference.
sorry, overlooked. Non paratheticals are up to 186 mph. In parantheticals, over that (sometimes by a huge amount). Y itself is for "exotic sports car tires" as opposed to Z, for example, "high-performance vehicles" defined as 149+ MPH. Personally, I've always felt the alphabetical tire speed listings got all F-ed up once you hit the V classification, after that, it's just BS. Check the stats for each specific tire, or surf at your own risk.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Nope, not until a blow out reminds you you should have. DONT settle for old or cheap tires if you run your cat to it’s limits, you only die once.
Hmmm...and once is enough..

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
sorry, overlooked. Non paratheticals are up to 186 mph. In parantheticals, over that (sometimes by a huge amount). Y itself is for "exotic sports car tires" as opposed to Z, for example, "high-performance vehicles" defined as 149+ MPH. Personally, I've always felt the alphabetical tire speed listings got all F-ed up once you hit the V classification, after that, it's just BS. Check the stats for each specific tire, or surf at your own risk.
It is interesting that testing standards cover Y, but (Y) are up to the manufacturer to develope and track. I never remember seeing (106Y) before the Hellcat, maybe Pirelli developed standard specifically for the Hellcat tires. Some may believe that they would never see over 180mph so why would you need tires for that speed.....I
I would bet that no reputable tire shop would mount any tire with a speed rating less than the door placard.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
It is interesting that testing standards cover Y, but (Y) are up to the manufacturer to develope and track. I never remember seeing (106Y) before the Hellcat, maybe Pirelli developed standard specifically for the Hellcat tires. Some may believe that they would never see over 180mph so why would you need tires for that speed.....I
I would bet that no reputable tire shop would mount any tire with a speed rating less than the door placard.
That could certainly be a liability in the event of a catastrophic failure...I know if I owned a shop...I wouldn't

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #92
Hmmmm. Not happy with a shake up front over 80. Going to go back down to shop and test the balance again. Alignment seems good from the pull to one side stand point. Not unhappy per second, just disappointed. Disappointed w one of my customers and one of my employees too. Such a downer to have this shit going on while trying to get some time in in the.mountains.

Next time will have to schedule the time so no big jobs are underway.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Such a downer to have this shit going on while trying to get some time in in the.mountains.
Alright, I'll make an exception to the no-4-doors-on-the-property rule, just for you.
Stop by along your way to the hills and we'll balance them correctly.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #94
If I was up that way jimmy I'd take you up on that. Thanks for the offer!

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Find a place that has a Hunter RoadForce balancer and a tech that knows how to use it - makes a world of difference when roadforce balanced correctly !
If you go to the Hunter website they have a dealer locator so you can find the shops in your area that have it, then you need to sniff out their local rep. for using it properly.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It helps a lot if also being able to make them disable the SmartWeight setting.
There's a big difference between good and good enough.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #97
Correct. My frien,d that runs the shop and I have never had a balancing issue. Thinking maybe the tires. Dont have the HC w me at this point so is all moot (took the 2 expo ELs and my dump trailer to haul gear out here). Part of the problem may be assistant mgr and others did the balance while I was not there, so maybe care was not taken. Will see later this week.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
My frien,d that runs the shop and I have never had a balancing issue. Thinking maybe the tires.
The Hunter machines will tell the operator exactly what's going on with the tires during a regular balancing.
And, if pushing a few buttons, can also check the rims for any discrepancies.

Actually, there's very little thinking required when using the Hunter...which is why even I can successfully achieve perfect results with one.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Macedon
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Find a place that has a Hunter RoadForce balancer and a tech that knows how to use it - makes a world of difference when roadforce balanced correctly !
If you go to the Hunter website they have a dealer locator so you can find the shops in your area that have it, then you need to sniff out their local rep. for using it properly.
100% correct on the good vs. good enough way of thinking. The dealership I have service done at has the top of the line Hunter machine and no one knows how to use the Roadforce feature. Only Smartweight. That’s why I have my tires done elsewhere.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
They may have changed things on the newer machines, but I doubt that theirs doesn't use the Road Force feature by default.
Unfortunately the SmartWeight is also a default setting, but it's just a matter of turning it off.