Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dangerous incident today - tires

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #21
I see no mention of a brand name...
OEM is always Pirelli.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I was at the paint shop today when El Ri co la textme concerning about ob taining 17 inch wheels for the track. The dealer where he does all his work was 1/2 mile from the body shop now has turned into a wheel shop. He text me while I was there seeing my car not finished,, again. 3 months. Looking for a deal. OEMs from the dealer not to be had. Dealers. He mentioned Forgestar not out yet but cheaper for Red Eye Wide Body. I happened to be at a wheel shop and they had a lot of after market wheels to match his Battle Ship Gray Wide Body Red Eye. I looked at sum that looked great. My car and his house and at this moment are 10 minutes from this place In Pinellas County. He lives in Indian Rocks Beach, Fl and I live in Seminole, Fl 10 minutes away. These wheels looked great on his car. On the computer. Dealer OEMs were $1,320 a piece his were 1/2 the price. I aske El Rico la if he had touched base with you guys and he said yes. He is off work do to the snot virous and maybe meet me up there and look at these products. Se whats up with these wheels and tires on the 17 inch style. Mine is a Hell Cat and has a6 monthsry oty and prices to match. Not like Dealer shits pricing. Seeze what'ts we can finz tomorrow. maybeez after 3 monts my car may beeze ready and getz El ri co la a break on hiz tires. 4 th paint jobz ers,,, will be 2nd ceramic coating. Some one in the county has been spotted with the same engine paint job as mine. Won Jan monthly of the month with the paint. Lookit up. Cost $10,000 powder coated black and red. Emblems red and black. After 3 car shows new it was going to happen cooner or later. Hopefully later. 2nd poweder coating and 4 th pait jod on 1 side. Damn fish eyes so called from a member. 1/1/2 year old and 7,000 miles and been in the shop, dealer and private shop for 6 months. Warranty war over $30,000 and private more than that. Awful. My 6 year old town home under re conctruction is worse than that. Being sued me under the management company and the renters that destroreed it under the managementsts compantys watch at 10 percents watch per month. Under bankrumpcy after 6 years Management compancys watch, 3 months a go bought a $600,000 house on a golf course me and fiancée #6 lived on 5 months ago. Not good. Good luck for Rico.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Any issues on the inside of the tire?
Funny mine did this on the inside edge as well, WAAAAYYY worse though as the damage was hidden from view inside the tire. Only knew something was up from an occasional shake in the front end and in changing the oil with car jacked up spun the tires only to hear something inside one, I thought it was the TPMS sensor broke loose, boy was I wrong, lucky to not have a blow out in a 180 mph run just a few nights prior

142EC371-A554-4881-8722-B7D97F32F356.jpeg A16B3C33-AE92-4687-88D0-AE0D8E8C3A26.jpeg 134AF249-39F5-47A2-8619-A4E54F9A7BA6.jpeg EF162465-54E0-46CF-A2A8-BD628C43DACE.jpeg DE76B943-3708-4652-BA5A-161FC64F09B7.jpeg

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Funny mine did this on the inside edge as well, WAAAAYYY worse though as the damage was hidden from view inside the tire. Only knew something was up from an occasional shake in the front end and in changing the oil with car jacked up spun the tires only to hear something inside one, I thought it was the TPMS sensor broke loose, boy was I wrong, lucky to not have a blow out in a 180 mph run just a few nights prior

View attachment 17107 View attachment 17108 View attachment 17109 View attachment 17110 View attachment 17111
I saw this in the original post. Still scares the living sh^& out of me. I may follow @DGatzby 's advice and go with Michelins or the DWS06 Conti's @Piening2150 suggests even though the Pirelli's have less than a 1000mi. I know those were some no-name brand that came on the car, but when your talking front tires on cars that weigh like these and have monstrous power and speed, you need top notch goods on front rollers. The Michelin's and Conti's seem to have nothing but good things said about them from people who use them.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Wow. I'm amazed that the tire held air with the liner that severely damaged.

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
Holy shit I dont believe what Im seeing on these tires. Makes me a LOT more worried about the OEM A/S I picked up from Amazon for $99 a tire 6 months ago. They only go on in winter but jeez thats more than a bit scary. bad run of tires?

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Damn your tires are dirty magnified hah. Where you living man the dustbowl heh? I guess your in the desert in west Texas huh. Man you must get sick of cleaning your baby.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #28
I would say you're pretty lucky that you didn't wind up with other damage to the car, or to have a blowout. Glad you're ok and didn't wind up in the ditch.
Agreed. I have not examined the fender and rockers with a fine toothed comb yet. I spent most of the night in the ER with kidney stone (which is what I thought it was, but damn, does it hurt). And one of the contractors that works for me fell from the second story of building we were working on in a nearby town and broke his leg and hip, badly. Guy already has lung cancer. So the replacement tires and such are taking a third or fourth row backseat.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #29
Damn your tires are dirty magnified hah. Where you living man the dustbowl heh? I guess your in the desert in west Texas huh. Man you must get sick of cleaning your baby.
Yes, tired of cleaning. One reason tire looks so dirty is to get from the paved parking lot at the shop to the service bays its dirt / caliche, so just driving to the bay entrances covers everything with fine dust. As far as the car itself, it lives in port cochere. Years ago the folks who had the house got tired of the garage flooding (evidently) when we have torrential down pours here. The way the neighborhood is set up, most of it drains into the street in front of my house and then down the drive way (which has a slope) and then into the port cochere and from there into the garage. Anyway at some point they disabled the garage doors and made man doors of out them and put a brick coping along the bottom (which at least kept the water out). After the first big storm here where I saw 6 inches of water in that port cochere area I had my masons come in and trench in front of the port cochere and along the side the garage and out to the empty land behind the house. Covered them with steel gratings and when I designed it I did the math for at least 60 gallons per second capacity. Since then, never any water backing up there - but have not had the time or the money to break up the brick coping or replace the nonfunctional garage doors. Garage is filled with stuff anyway since we lost over 1000 SF over the previous house when we moved out here and had to store things in the garage. Planning on erecting a huge monstrosity out back eventually.

For now, call it a destruction testing of the ceramica paint protection.

Last edited:

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Wow. I'm amazed that the tire held air with the liner that severely damaged.
Never needed air EVER, Was at 32 psi cold and 34-35 hot always, even with digital gauge.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Agreed. I have not examined the fender and rockers with a fine toothed comb yet. I spent most of the night in the ER with kidney stone (which is what I thought it was, but damn, does it hurt). And one of the contractors that works for me fell from the second story of building we were working on in a nearby town and broke his leg and hip, badly. Guy already has lung cancer. So the replacement tires and such are taking a third or fourth row backseat.
Kidney stones are no fun...been there...done that...several times. Glad you're ok on that front too.
Sorry to hear about your worker, he's dealing with quite a full bag now himself.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Glad @Magnified and @16GoManGoHC2 are ok. Thanks for posting about what tires are crapping out. Could have been way worse

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
That's the key question. And there is no obvious answer, or way to ascertain. And I neglected to say in the original posting that the coiled strap went down the right side of the car. Narrow two lane country road with head to head traffic and 6 to 8 inch drop off on the side. You pays your money and yous takes your chances.
Tire failure is always a concern of mine..on all my vehicles...a rear tire failure with a new tire on a road course with a motorcycle into triple digits...left me acutely aware of the ramifications of the perils of tire failure..(I was very much younger)..the healing process was arduous....:cautious::cautious::cautious:

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #35
Shot of one of the OEMs with the inside wear / chunks missing.

Attachments

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
That's just bizarre, you sure the alignment is at spec ?

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #37
Perfectly on, the dot. Checked multiple times over the last three years at multiple locations. I've never seen anything like it, but as I noted above, my tire guy has seen that on his personal Corvettes.

EDIT, those are late model corvettes, not the C8 though.

Plasticman

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Opelika
State
AL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger HC
Holy shit I dont believe what Im seeing on these tires. Makes me a LOT more worried about the OEM A/S I picked up from Amazon for $99 a tire 6 months ago. They only go on in winter but jeez thats more than a bit scary. bad run of tires?
I paid about the same for my OEM A/S from Tire Rack. Already had to replace one at the first rotation, couldn't get it to balance. These were from the same lot as the originals on my 2016. So be careful out there shopping for tire deals. Now I need to have some front end work done, shook the front end pretty hard on a road trip.

Rob

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
These were from the same lot as the originals on my 2016.
Rob
Are you saying that you paid good money for tires that were already four to five years old?

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #40
I noticed the same thing (lots of OEM A/S out there on the market at rock bottom prices) and I suspect you need to check those age codes. Not buying 3 year old tires.