Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dangerous incident today - tires

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Date code on mine that failed, they where on the car when I bought it.
CD48EC9D-1783-4302-9F3C-D3A9BD922CBA.jpeg

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
You've got some meaningful gonads having driven on those.

I recently replaced a set of tires that came on a Jeep I bought. They looked near perfect, as they should with only some 15,000 miles on them.
So why replace them? Because they were original, on a 2008. And I really only drive that one on the property.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
You've got some meaningful gonads having driven on those.

I recently replaced a set of tires that came on a Jeep I bought. They looked near perfect, as they should with only some 15,000 miles on them.
So why replace them? Because they were original, on a 2008. And I really only drive that one on the property.
Yea, there’s NO doubt in my mind I have a Guardian Angel or two watching over me, NONE. I’m lucky to be able to live and learn on this one no doubt.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Your car came with run flats ??

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Your car came with run flats ??
That’s what was on it when I bought it, used, 7300 miles, rims had no signs of ever being touched.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
That’s what was on it when I bought it, used, 7300 miles, rims had no signs of ever being touched.
They were never offered by the factory, so someone swapped out the OE Pirelli's for them. A good 'no touch' tire mounting system & tech will leave no scrapes or gouges !

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
They were never offered by the factory, so someone swapped out the OE Pirelli's for them. A good 'no touch' tire mounting system & tech will leave no scrapes or gouges !
Are you saying that run flats were never offered? When I went shopping for my kat at Hunting Beach Dodge; they had at least 6 brand new cats with run flats on them. This was in June of '17.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Are you saying that run flats were never offered? When I went shopping for my kat at Hunting Beach Dodge; they had at least 6 brand new cats with run flats on them. This was in June of '17.
They were not offered in '15 or '16, also not in '19 & '20 - so I doubt they were avail. in '17/18 but there could have been some reason FCA did it then.
Could also be something to do with your location ?? Some state or local law requiring run-flats if there is no OE spare ?

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #49
Wow, I never knew they were offered at all. What speed rating and what manufacturer?

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #50
ALSO - just FYI, two of the four P Zero Nero all seasons that I picked up to replace the torn up ones arrived today. I checked the date code: both were made in Q3 2019. So these will go on the car. For $135 each that's a damn good deal in my neck of the woods (my tire guy could only get them at $275 and many of the fly by night wonder deals on line are for three and four year old stock - never been mounted, sure, but that's not a new tire at Y speed code speeds....

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I doubt they were avail. in '17/18 but there could have been some reason FCA did it then.
They were not an option when I looked around in mid '18.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
ALSO - just FYI, two of the four P Zero Nero all seasons that I picked up to replace the torn up ones arrived today. I checked the date code: both were made in Q3 2019. So these will go on the car. For $135 each that's a damn good deal in my neck of the woods (my tire guy could only get them at $275 and many of the fly by night wonder deals on line are for three and four year old stock - never been mounted, sure, but that's not a new tire at Y speed code speeds....
Makes you wonder how and why they have a 3/4 year inventory layin around....and over triple digits...my thoughts always turn to tires...

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Every now and then I buy from Tire Rack, and when I do I always ask how fresh or old their inventory is.
The place is too big for anyone to go check, but when they say "It's a popular tire/size" I know they won't be too old. So far it has worked out.

Smaller outlets are usually even easier to get fresh inventory from. Either way, to me there's a huge difference between "new" and "never mounted". There are places selling 12 year old military radials as
"new".

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Every now and then I buy from Tire Rack, and when I do I always ask how fresh or old their inventory is.
The place is too big for anyone to go check, but when they say "It's a popular tire/size" I know they won't be too old. So far it has worked out.

Smaller outlets are usually even easier to get fresh inventory from. Either way, to me there's a huge difference between "new" and "never mounted". There are places selling 12 year old military radials as
"new".
agreed....I have replaced motorcycle tires with less than 2500 miles on them..simply because there 6 yrs old...some of my friends think I'm crazy...I will never compromise on tires for any of my vehicles...

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB

"new".
I guess the question becomes what's the cut off for a tire to be considered "new" vs "never mounted". My guess is there's no standard and retailers will advertise whatever suits them.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I guess the question becomes what's the cut off for a tire to be considered "new" vs "never mounted". My guess is there's no standard and retailers will advertise whatever suits them.
Unfortunately, yes. But tires become NOS quicker than most other vehicles parts.
And it's not only tire sellers. Many people these days call something "new" as long as it still looks good and works.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I complained about the last set of Conti's I got from Tire Rack, 3 had date codes only a few months old but 1 was a year old.
They refused to send a replacement tire, but did give me a partial refund on the 'old' tire & stated as long as it was stored correctly, it would not be a problem.

Question I had for them was if they were storing them correctly, how did this one not get rotated out a long time ago? No one would answer that .................

Next time I order from them, I will state in writing that if the tire date codes are not close, I will refuse the shipment !

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #58
Exactly. No standards. Like the word "natural". That means nothing. Less than nothing actually. You can piss in the food and still call it "natural." Its the advertisers / manufacturer / grower / marketers game. I thank god everytime I'm in teh grocery store for those folks with the balls to pass at least half-ass food labeling in this country.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I complained about the last set of Conti's I got from Tire Rack, 3 had date codes only a few months old but 1 was a year old.
They refused to send a replacement tire, but did give me a partial refund on the 'old' tire & stated as long as it was stored correctly, it would not be a problem.

Question I had for them was if they were storing them correctly, how did this one not get rotated out a long time ago? No one would answer that .................

Next time I order from them, I will state in writing that if the tire date codes are not close, I will refuse the shipment !
Just 4 weeks ago or so I bought 2 275 NT05’s for the front of my car f tryI’m Jegs, they where almost 2 years old. I called them on it wanting to return them, they call the mfg (Nitto, but i really wonder if they called them) but told me mfg said tired don’t have a expectation date. I asked well why do they put the date on them then? Then I had to read her a statement from DOT site on tire life that said 6 years and it’s time to replace them. They sent call tags for the tires and made a 100% refund a few days later. I then bought the 555G2’s which where only a few weeks old and made in the USA, actually newer then the supposed just released May1 315NT555R2’s which have a date code of 0720 but made in Japan. 2 1/2 months on the boat? BIG sticker on them stating do not move them if exposed to temps under 18F

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #60
Any consensus yet on the run flats? Were they offered from the factory at any time?

Also, for those who are curious, for the P Zero Neros the Pirelli dating systems is a 4 digit code. First two digits are the week number, the last two the post 2000 series year. So, 4019 and 3919, the two codes on the tires that arrived today, mean these were made in the 39th and 40th week of 2019. There is a factory code on there too, but I didn't bother with that, though I might go back out of curiosity later.