Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Cars being booted at ATCO

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
They were announcing over and over on the loud speaker they were enforcing the rules.
Then during a shutdown while cleaning up the track they were highly ticked in their next announcement. Someone was in the staging lanes in a car that did not get teched for that driver.

As the track was silent Everything was announced again and also explained about only the driver teched in with car will race the car. 1st time I ever heard it had to be announced, but it is in the MSHS rules. Again rule breakers just made a situation get worse.

I had 0 problems with any of the staff.

I wonder how many people are reading the rules before they decide to come.
Hemirace.com had all the info posted.

Safety

For those questioning the enforcement of safety rules, our goal is to have everyone meet safety standards.

That said, we do not enforce the safety rules. We are not qualified to do so.

This is left to the discretion of the track staff. We as a series are not banning anyone for any safety rules. It is solely up to the track to allow or disallow any car.

Below is a chart that shows some of the safety equipment needed based on your E.T. These requirements change yearly and for current information, please visit the NHRA website. At a bare minimum, regardless of how quick your car is, the track will require you to wear a certified helmet, closed toe shoes and long pants.

ET Quick Reference Chart
Yep, and they announced pretty early that if you ran faster than a 10.0 and didn't have the right equipment, you would be off the track. They made mention of the State Police being at the track or nearby on numerous occasions.

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Yep, and they announced pretty early that if you ran faster than a 10.0 and didn't have the right equipment, you would be off the track. They made mention of the State Police being at the track or nearby on numerous occasions.
Why would they mention the NJSP?

They enforcing NHRA laws now? ... lol

And we probably wouldn’t be having this discussion if atco came out BEFORE the event and said they would be enforcing 100% of the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

And we probably wouldn’t be having this discussion if atco came out BEFORE the event and said they would be enforcing 100% of the rules.

Not about the NHRA. It's about them being a business and you refusing to leave. That is NJSP business right there (or city cops if you're inside the limits; or sheriff if the troopers are busy).

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Not about the NHRA. It's about them being a business and you refusing to leave. That is NJSP business right there (or city cops if you're inside the limits; or sheriff if the troopers are busy).
That I understand complexity, if you refuse to leave. Some took it as them making it sound like the NJSP were on site so they had to adhere to the NHRA rules.

From what I heard from a few guys there, it just irked people that once they got your gate/event money, the argument of safety was raised.

If safety was truly the objective, they would enforce 100% of the rules on 100% of the cars 100% of the time. But we know an event like this wouldn’t happen if they did.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
It’s undoubtedly not just about the rules but also liability. The track’s insurance company probably dictates that they enforce all sanctioned safety requirements. It’s not a question of racing at your own risk. Logically, the track needs to make the rules clear to everyone and be consistent. Anybody going 9’s or better at 130+ mph and ignorant of the safety rules or knowingly skirting them is just wrong. Personally, I stopped racing seriously when the safety rules for my speed and ET meant major changes affecting the interior and body on my low mileage, classic big block Mopar. But that was my choice then and now. Today, I am satisfied to live vicariously through you guys reporting on how fast you are running with these awesome hotrods. Keep it coming!

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
The harness bar I was referring to is the one that was sold for the Demon. The Challenger bolt in thing from Speedlogic. I’ve never even seen one for a Charger. That bar is nicely made and is 100% bolt in and when removed leave no evidence of ever having been there.
I’ve read that the Speedlogix harness bar is not certifiable by any racing agency.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

Yeah...I was surprised when they mentioned the NJSP....I wondered that too. But hey...it is NJ...and for all I know, they could have some weird law in place regarding it.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
There were way more cars running slower and Fast cars running with proper safety equipment than the guys without Cages.

Think about this, an all mainly stock Hellcat shooting for the 8s with weight taken out and a big shot of NOS (which BTW this car had already been kicked off of 4 tracks including ATCO prior to the event.)

This was one of the problem cars. They came to the event just to run another 8. They didn't really care about the actual racing.
When It did make another 8 second pass and it was posted up on FB immediately.

I'm sure it caused another announcement and continued to make it harder for others. I think that is when they took the 9.50 class and made it a 10.0 class.

Linda :)

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Personal Bests are Awesome and Amazing to achieve, but come on we were there to race!
I heard several guys going for PB's were doing and so during Quals and didn't care if they got booted.

Linda
[burnout][burnout]

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Linda, I know what you are saying, and I agree that rules are there for a reason. They’re in place to basically protect the drivers ass when running on that edge. And I personally 100% support those rules.

What I don’t agree with is having guys spend a few thousand bucks to drive half away across the country to have the rug pulled out from under them unexpectedly, because we all know, they let that rule slide a lot.

I just believe there should be a big bold statement at the bottom of every advertisement for these events that states 100% NHRA rule enforcement.

That would shut down all of this talk.

OP
Hpindy

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #71
Linda, I know what you are saying, and I agree that rules are there for a reason. They’re in place to basically protect the drivers ass when running on that edge. And I personally 100% support those rules.

What I don’t agree with is having guys spend a few thousand bucks to drive half away across the country to have the rug pulled out from under them unexpectedly, because we all know, they let that rule slide a lot.

I just believe there should be a big bold statement at the bottom of every advertisement for these events that states 100% NHRA rule enforcement.

That would shut down all of this talk.

And make it all or nothing ! It's everybody or nobody .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I’ve read that the Speedlogix harness bar is not certifiable by any racing agency.
No they’re not. That wasn’t the point about that part of the conversation. The point was safety and the fact that a five point harness is safer than a pull across OEM type belt in a rollover crash like what commonly happens on a drag strip. You have to have a bar in there to attach the harness shoulder straps. I said that’s the only point of having one. People do not want to go to the expense of full NHRA certification. I have $10,000 in mine. They don’t want to deal with all of the downsides of having a cage in the car. There are several. My point was that there are a lot of 9 second street cars now. They are racing on the streets and it’s only going to get more common. One of the NHRA’s stated goals is to provide tracks with rules to prevent that. They need to address the problem with some rule changes to allow 9 second cars in the track without a full S/G certification.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
So it would seem that while there were some number of cars that were just outside the rules, there was one? car or team that was at the heart of the matter.

Who was this?

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
So it would seem that while there were some number of cars that were just outside the rules, there was one? car or team that was at the heart of the matter.

Who was this?
From what I've read, and heard while at the event, the issue is in three parts:
(1) The rules weren't enforced in past events
(2) The rules weren't enforced evenly against each and every car at the event in question
(3) One individual decided to use the actions of the track as an excuse to further a beef with another.

As to #'s 1 & 2, again from what I've heard and witnessed, there's some validity to the angst; if a rule is to be enforced, it should be consistently enforced from event to event, and from car to car. HOWEVER, this is NOT on the event organizer; it is on the track. And in fairness to the track, given the number of cars there on Saturday, it's not outside the realm of possibility that a car or two slipped notice...but that's on the track, NOT the event organizer. You play at someone's house, you follow house rules; you let someone play at your house, you're responsible for enforcing the rules.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
NO The FACT is there was not a WHISTLE BLOWER making a phone call!
Last year ATCO was a little more forgiving, the year before last they were strict.
The Track Rental set the tone! So blame it on the ones going for the 8s then bragging and posting up illegal runs on FB and YouTube!
This is the real reason of what happened. Some even will post making it funny what they are getting away with. No roll cage or wearing proper safety equipment.
The competitiveness of the day got more and more so they shut those people down and others had to follow.

I can tell you ask FireBall John Lewis how many times in the years past he got booted from ATCO (with different owners) for running high 9's and no cage. Very often the State Police are at the track.

I am there for racing and seeing my Family of Hemi Racing Friends. Sometimes there is a track that seems to be forgiving and I'll try for a New PB.
My Hellcat can go into the 9's. but I am there to RACE so 10.0s "is what it is"
I raced the Bracket Class and the Hellcat Shoot out!
BTW I won the Hellcat shoot out race yesterday [wiggle][cool]

I had an AWESOME Fun Fassst Time this past weekend!

Linda
[burnout][burnout]
Congrats on your win Linda! :cool:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
This is why I stay away from 1/4m tracks.

(Apologies to the Sportsmen and Women out there)

FYI, None of this crap ever happens at Standing Mile events.

People bend over backwards to help you, not beat you.

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
I'm sure it caused another announcement and continued to make it harder for others. I think that is when they took the 9.50 class and made it a 10.0 class.

Linda :)
Point of Order: The 9.50 Class was announced as having to run 10.00 in the Driver's meeting the morning of the actual MSHS event, prior to any official event racing. There was even emphasis (for all classes) that "...if you sign up to run in the XX.xx class, you can run no faster than XX.xx..." (paraphrased).

It torqued me off when I learned #GFY Dan was catching crap from some drivers because of the above announced rule; their complaint in essence was "...we got away with it in the past, you should have warned us we wouldn't so we could've have avoided coming...".

It was Dan's event that he organized, but he doesn't control the track; never has, never will. As a "customer", there's only so much MSHS can do; at the end of the day, we have to play by each track's rules, and as the track sees fit to enforce them. If they don't enforce all the rules, then MSHS racers have to follow the ones they do, and don't have to follow the ones they don't. If the track doesn't enforce the rules evenly against every car, what is Dan supposed to do, narc out the cars not specified by the track?

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
This is why I stay away from 1/4m tracks.

(Apologies to the Sportsmen and Women out there)

FYI, None of this crap ever happens at Standing Mile events.

People bend over backwards to help you, not beat you.
Bull,

That is the problem, rules greatly vary between half and 1 mile events and 1/4 mile racing at NHRA/IHRA tracks. Many modern cars can go below 10 seconds with little or no work and very few are going to cage a expensive car to run a few times a year. Kick them out and just forces more street racing, which appears to be alive and well.

IMO, NHRA rules are dated, I agree with MarW, time for some new rules.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Congrats on your win Linda! :cool:
Thank You, I had a Great time!

I truly race for the Fun a win is a bonus for me!

I couldn't stop laughing waiting to be paired up for the King of the Hill race. I personally know who most of the racers that were waiting. They are the ones that have so many strategies to get there and win KOFTH.

Kate kept saying why are you laughing mom. I was giddy from being tired, no time for food all day, had only 2 cups of water and the serious faces just made me laugh!

Linda

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Bull,

That is the problem, rules greatly vary between half and 1 mile events and 1/4 mile racing at NHRA/IHRA tracks. Many modern cars can go below 10 seconds with little or no work and very few are going to cage a expensive car to run a few times a year. Kick them out and just forces more street racing, which appears to be alive and well.

IMO, NHRA rules are dated, I agree with MarW, time for some new rules.

There is that too, the rules are very clear before you show up, and there is only ONE layer of rules to abide by, set by the sanctioning body.

The only rule I've ever seen bent even a little bit is the "No drag radial" rule, and even that is dealt with before the race, before you show up. You get on the phone with the Race Director and ask for a waiver. He/She says yes/no, and you move on.

So everybody shows up, everybody passes Tech, everybody runs, and everybody runs against themselves. Awesome day.