Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

V86 Emissions Recall

Member ID
Reactions
City
O Fallon
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
LETS DO THIS!

So I have three files we are going to discuss. The pcm read prior to the flash, the pcm read that would not work, and the pcm read using the beta software. For reference here are the checksums of the files:

Name: STOCK_DO_NOT_MODIFY_COPY_ONLY_DUMBSHIT.hpt
Size: 1317366 bytes (1286 KiB)
SHA1: 087C36E84CC7671CB560D4DBE4F5AD70C4DB992F

Name: STOCK_DO_NOT_MODIFY_COPY_ONLY_DUMBSHIT_AFTERPCMFLASH.hpt
Size: 1418950 bytes (1385 KiB)
SHA1: AFEFFC5128F5DAD33BBD44A3E01E532BEF9429BD

Name: STOCK_DO_NOT_MODIFY_COPY_ONLY_DUMBSHIT_AFTERPCMFLASH_USINGBETA.hpt
Size: 1419246 bytes (1385 KiB)
SHA1: B52B20688C5B9A91996431DCF703D017DAA5E1A4

As you can see after using the beta software the SHA1 hash of the file is different so we will not use the non-operable file read. We will only compare the latest read and the pcm read prior to the flash. At the surface level there are 99KiB to account for in the new pcm read that are not in the prior read, some of these bits may be new logic or some of these may be new values or potentially new tables.

Engine -> General
Nothing Significant To Report (NSTR)

Engine -> Idle
NSTR

Engine -> Airflow
Electronic Throttle -> Min Desired Throttle: New Value 0.10, Old Value 0.03.
[ECM] 3520 - Minimum Demanded Throttle Voltage: The minimum allowed throttle setpoint voltage.

It was discussed before that the throttle body is an issue in the PCM update, if someone more knowledgeable than me could chime in on this parameter that would be appreciated. I believe there have been multiple comments by @Trucker Bob and @Blow By about the throttle body. This definitely was changed in the update. .07 is a sizeable increase. Changing a value by seven percent can do a lot of things, e.g. fuel trims...

Edit: just a moment of clarity. This is the startup value of the throttle body, what does a throttle body do when you turn the car off, returns to the default minimum point. No wonder it sounds like my fucking car is farting, it's a half assed whistle...

Engine -> Exhaust
NSTR

Engine -> Fuel
Cutoff, DFCO -> Misc Cutoff -> Torque Reduction
View attachment 19176
This one has me scratching my head...

Now to discuss Transmission, this is where things get weird for me, in my pcm read prior to the flash the only thing that shows up in the Transmission section is General, Manual and Torque Management. I don't know if there is a bug in 4.4 but in the beta 4.7 new tables have popped up for me, these are: Shift General, Shift Scheduling, Shift Pressures, Shift Timing, Torque Converter. This may be a unique thing to me or a bug. This is beta software so I cannot tell at this point.

Transmission -> General
New to me: [TCM] 5722 - TCM Limp RPM Limit: If the engine RPM exceeds this TCM RPM Limit, Limp mode will activate and a DTC may set.
View attachment 19177

New is on the left, old is on the right, one option is missing, and a new one has appeared...

Transmission -> Manual
NSTR

Transmission -> Shift General
Transmission -> Shift Scheduling
Transmission -> Shift Pressures
Transmission -> Shift Timing
Transmission -> Torque Converter
All new in the comparison, may be a bug. If you would like these values if they are indeed new, please let me know and I can post them.

Transmission -> Torque Management
View attachment 19178

Fuel System
NSTR

System
NSTR

Speedo
NSTR

So there were quite a few changes in the new update, mostly around throttle body and torque management. I have nothing to say about the Transmission tables that are new to me because that might be a bug with the 4.4 software when I did a stock read of the PCM. Who knows what is really going on. Figured I would bring this out into the open for others to comment on, please let me know your thoughts or if there is any other data you would like to see. In other news my VCM Scanner is working as expected and I can see all my Channels again in the Beta.
So interestly enough.
I noticed that my startup rpm' is about 300 rpm higher...and falls off within a couple of seconds. The old tune held the startup rpm a couple of minutes. Gives some credibility to the .07% noticed on the new pcm map
Anyone else notice the startup rpm change with this update?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
@fumanchu182 good on you for getting in to the tune and taking a look. The torque reduction thing is likely not emission related but something else they decided to throw in there for whatever reason. The Y axis is RPM error in RPM and the X axis is torque reduction percent. So they've increased the range of RPM error from 250 to 400 and increased torque reduction from 25% to 50%.

The throttle setting change went from .03V to .10V (volts), so they're keeping the throttle open more likely to get more airflow to reduce emissions if I had to guess. From memory I think emissions tests are all at lower RPM and idle ranges.

As for the major differences in the transmission settings. Those values were always there in both reads. Your TCM didn't change. You likely had old HPT software, or didn't do a complete TCM read on the first go. I've seen that before.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
@fumanchu182 good on you for getting in to the tune and taking a look. The torque reduction thing is likely not emission related but something else they decided to throw in there for whatever reason. The Y axis is RPM error in RPM and the X axis is torque reduction percent. So they've increased the range of RPM error from 250 to 400 and increased torque reduction from 25% to 50%.

The throttle setting change went from .03V to .10V (volts), so they're keeping the throttle open more likely to get more airflow to reduce emissions if I had to guess. From memory I think emissions tests are all at lower RPM and idle ranges.

As for the major differences in the transmission settings. Those values were always there in both reads. Your TCM didn't change. You likely had old HPT software, or didn't do a complete TCM read on the first go. I've seen that before.
For those of us in the cheap seats, just what exactly does that mean ?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I'm honestly not sure. The software describes it as:

"RPM Limit TqRed: RPM Limit fast torque (usually spark) reduction percent."

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6
For those of us in the cheap seats, just what exactly does that mean ?
I'm with you Buddy. I bet you can still, as well as I put in a set of points LOL That's why I buy them instead of build them now.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I'm honestly not sure. The software describes it as:

"RPM Limit TqRed: RPM Limit fast torque (usually spark) reduction percent."
what kind a shit is that.gif

Member ID
Reactions
City
O Fallon
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Hi folks
I think I found another issue with the latest flash of the hellcats pcm. Rolling the car out to 10 mph or so and punching it... the car falls flat....like turbo lag....it hits 2nd gear and then takes off. This doesnt happen if the car is punch from a standing start position. Was wondering if this is just my car or if anyone else is experiencing this after the recall
Thanks in advance
Bob

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Hi folks
I think I found another issue with the latest flash of the hellcats pcm. Rolling the car out to 10 mph or so and punching it... the car falls flat....like turbo lag....it hits 2nd gear and then takes off. This doesnt happen if the car is punch from a standing start position. Was wondering if this is just my car or if anyone else is experiencing this after the recall
Thanks in advance
Bob
So I have experienced this twice and I thought it was just a fluke. I’m going to hook up the data logger today and see what’s going on.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hooked up the data logger using the most recent beta version (only version that will communicate with the newest flash on GPEC2A PCM) and found some interesting tidbits. Something is borked in HP Tuners. As you can see my actual MAP sensor is correct but the PID they are monitoring is not correct. That or my flash is completely bunked. To fix this issue I created my own custom math parameter which takes the MAP hi-res pid and subtracts the BARO Pres hi-res pid. This gives me boost back. Since this is beta I don't think I should count these logs as legitimate but hey you got to piss with the cock you're given so lets give it a weeeeeeee!

the_map_is_too_damn_high.jpg

Either HP Tuners is borked or I have the Space Shuttle crammed into my engine bay. I filed a bug report with HP tuners and I think all will be fixed in the next beta update. In response to @Blow By and my own issues, I could not replicate it today. I drive in Track mode with the paddle shifters to test and that's how I drove in Marylexico today... I do remember that the last time I had that issue my drive shaft was at play, I'll jack up the car and make sure the bearing bushing is still good. I'm going to throw the god damn drive shaft at FCA CEO if this thing breaks again, dart style.

Member ID
Reactions
City
O Fallon
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thanks Fumanchu for checking this out...ill take it out in track mode later today for a spin. I bought my cat from a private party and the driveshaft was replaced about 8 months ago. Like I said a standing start...hold on
Bob

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
HPT beta versions are typically fine, it's the change in PCM code that causing the issue. HPT will have to remap some things it seems.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
HPT beta versions are typically fine, it's the change in PCM code that causing the issue. HPT will have to remap some things it seems.
Updated the beta today, all is well for now. Did some data logging today in Marylexico. Did a pull from 75 to a high number and she felt fine. Right as I hit 10 PSI the car was at 10.66:1 (13.85 x 0.77), boost peak at 11PSI the car was at 9.97:1. When I let off everything felt normal, of course when I brought the car home and shut it off it sound as if the intake was playing a butt trumpet. Still haven't been able to replicate the falling flat on its face, however I have noticed that the car is more tempermental about switching from track/sport/custom/default with those orange triangles.

Trucker Bob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Out of IL. Thank God
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger M6
I'm wondering if any car magazines are reporting on this yet? A buddy of mine has an old frat brother that works at R&T. I'm starting to think of throwing the chit at the fan if this crap isn't fixed soon. I'm sure FCA would love a few paragraphs in a national publication. Might bring down their JD power poll ratings.
https://www.jdpower.com/Cars/Dodge

Member ID
Reactions
City
O Fallon
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Well Uconnect tells me that I have another recall....but wont tell me what it is. Anyone else getting a recall alert on uconnect?

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
Nope. And if emissions is all this recall is about. I have no intention of going to the dealer so they can fuc! up the way my car runs. I like it the way it is.

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
O Fallon
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Just an update....had a call today from SRT Care and I was told that the new updated program was in final testing and should be ready next week. I was also told that the dealership would get in touch with anyone that had an issue with the recall to notify them that the upgrade was released to the dealers.

Hope this info helps
Bob

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I am absolutely certain the dealership will follow up with everyone.

giphy.gif

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
SRT Care literally told me to pound sand and left me to go to the dealer and sort it out.

Member ID
Reactions
City
O Fallon
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Really???
Talked with a lady named Emily there...very professional and called me back with the info as promised. We will see if the dealership does the same.
Bob

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just got a text from my friend who is my tech at the dealer ship, he got an alert from his manager that the fix for my PCM is in, he is running my VIN now and will be getting back to me if it is available.