Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Testing Legmaker intake on stock and modified Hellcats

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
That is the only intake temp I have
If your talking about this gauge I believe it is post or after blower temp. 20210630_154755.jpg

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #122
That would make sense by what I'm seeing. Needs to be one before it goes in. Sounds like if you data log you can read it

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I need some instruction on how to set up what I want to see in my logs...

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I can help.

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thanks @Speedy!

Do you have it on your YouTube channel or would we just need to go through it? I posted a couple of my logs in the thread that @jonx96 posted about comparing tunes. If you have a chance look at them and let me know what else to look at and how to load it in. I'm just learning this side of things.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Those logs looked fine to me. I'd go in and add a couple PIDs like ambient air temp and Aircharge other than that just some personal preference type stuff. I like to see what gear the car is in, what mode (sport track etc).

I have a vid on it under the tuning play list. Check that out and if you still have questions lemme know. It's easy to setup. Best practice is to key the car on to run but don't start it, connect HPT, and then click the little "add" gear icon and go to town.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I haven’t been to a laptop to look yet. But just so you know air charge will not log in vcm scanner beta. I have a ticket open with up tuners on this.

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Those logs looked fine to me. I'd go in and add a couple PIDs like ambient air temp and Aircharge other than that just some personal preference type stuff. I like to see what gear the car is in, what mode (sport track etc).

I have a vid on it under the tuning play list. Check that out and if you still have questions lemme know. It's easy to setup. Best practice is to key the car on to run but don't start it, connect HPT, and then click the little "add" gear icon and go to town.
Thanks @Speedy! You da man!

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
That would make sense by what I'm seeing. Needs to be one before it goes in. Sounds like if you data log you can read it
Here is some good info.. 20210701_001641.jpg

YMMV

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Morris Co
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
18 Charger HC

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Thanks for the effort. It’s a CAI I was considering. I’ve checked clearances like that with a couple blobs of modeling clay or blue tack.
I don’t think it fits tight to the hood. I tried with a different tape and none grabbed onto the hood when down. It does look to be very close. I dont have any clay to try what you’re suggesting. If I see the Grandkids I’ll see if I can get some.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I'm thinking at most would see a tenth 1 mph. Wouldn't be surprised if I see nothing. Now Jon makes 17 # of boost so way more air needs so maybe he will see something. I said before Racer X and B Mason both run the stock air box so we will see
I also run the stock air box, with 2.85, on 93+, up to my level I think the stock air box w/ K&N drop in filter is the best for IAT's b4 a pass when idling. Even if a open filter is boxed off in some way it's still getting hot air wash with the hood closed & is taking in hotter air.
I do like the louder whine from open filter, I had the AFe one with engine bay block off panel but still had higher IAT's at the start of a pass.
With higher boost, the bigger tube & TB prob. makes a bigger difference.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
It looks like the AFE is a shield that's open at the bottom? The JLT is a complete box. No idea if it matters. I data log every single run at the track so I can provide good info on the JLT to compare.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
It looks like the AFE is a shield that's open at the bottom? The JLT is a complete box. No idea if it matters. I data log every single run at the track so I can provide good info on the JLT to compare.
Yes it's (AFe) open at the bottom like the stock box open at the bottom to the lower bottom panel area, but the AFe has a lot of areas around the shield to take in heat, when sitting still & idling. When moving it's not that bad on IAT's. I'm speaking in racing terms.
I had the JLT also & the one I had can let hot air in around the top area where the tube sits on the box, I think the new ones have a piece of foam that goes on it now so maybe better there but mine did not seal to the hood either like it's suppose to, a good 1" to 1.5" all the way around the top. So I went back to stock air box.
With a chiller & idling, then a burnout, then line up, I want the IAT's & ICT's to be as low as possible at the launch, then it gets better after that.
IMHO I think the stock air box to a certain point (hp level) is the best to do that.

Looking forward to your data logs to see results.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I don’t think it fits tight to the hood. I tried with a different tape and none grabbed onto the hood when down. It does look to be very close. I dont have any clay to try what you’re suggesting. If I see the Grandkids I’ll see if I can get some.
The way I check to see if a CAI fits to the hood & seals, take the hood vent off the hood, put a light inside the engine bay to see better in that area, close the hood, use your phone to video, stick your hand with phone in the vent hole to video 360*, you can also just stick your hand in the open vent hole to feel all the way around the top of the CAI box or shield of witch ever CAI that you have.
My AFe sealed better to the hood than the JLT (1 > 1.5" gap) but the AFe has more open areas around the shield than the JLT box.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Here's kinda that problem I thought we'd see. These data are all from the same day using the JLT. If there's this much deviation using the same intake would be difficult to compare different ones. This is temp data only, but as mentioned before looking at aircharge at WOT, say at the top of 4th (6200 rpm?) would tell us if more air was getting pulled in.

Beginning is just before launch and end is just before chopping the throttle at the 1/4 mile stripe. LTR is the SC coolant temp the rest should be obvious.

beginning amb 61 iat 84 mat 122 act 109 ltr 82 end amb 66 iat 68 mat 142 act 134 ltr 86

beginning amb 63 iat 84 mat 126 act 113 ltr 91 end amb 68 iat 70 mat 145 act 138 ltr 90

beginning amb 63 iat 77 mat 113 act 97 ltr 79 end amb 63 iat 68 mat 136 act 129 ltr 81

beginning amb 63 iat 73 mat 127 act 118 ltr 91 end amb 64 iat 70 mat 142 act 134 ltr 86

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #137
With higher boost, the bigger tube & TB prob. makes a bigger difference.
We only got the one pass with the stock air box but Jon was still faster with the stock airbox and he has a 2.85 pulley. I see 10# of boost he sees 17#. I was .08 faster he was .07 faster. Higher boost didn't make a difference

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
We only got the one pass with the stock air box but Jon was still faster with the stock airbox and he has a 2.85 pulley. I see 10# of boost he sees 17#. I was .08 faster he was .07 faster. Higher boost didn't make a difference
So your faster with the stock box, is what I would think or defiantly not any worse over others. I do like the loud whine from the open filters, it's addicting.
Was thinking with higher boost, at some point it would need more air. With Jon's car, that 17# is pretty high for a 2.85, but either way good news

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I don't think you can use ET as the metric to measure such a small difference. My last outing at the track I had over 1/10 difference in ET with no real changes to the car. MPH is probably a better metric, but even that won't tell much unless the difference is > 2MPH. Anything else becomes just an anomaly IMO.

My times were
Run 1 9.704 @ 140.77
Run 2 9.845 @ 140.24
Run 3 9.796 @ 140.63
Run 4 9.768 @ 140.27

I do know going from a 93 octane tune to a race fuel 109 tune in my car I pick up 3-4mph and the difference in the tunes is about 5-6 deg of timing which I guess would be 60 - 70hp ?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I don't think you can use ET as the metric to measure such a small difference. My last outing at the track I had over 1/10 difference in ET with no real changes to the car. MPH is probably a better metric, but even that won't tell much unless the difference is > 2MPH. Anything else becomes just an anomaly IMO.

My times were
Run 1 9.704 @ 140.77
Run 2 9.845 @ 140.24
Run 3 9.796 @ 140.63
Run 4 9.768 @ 140.27

I do know going from a 93 octane tune to a race fuel 109 tune in my car I pick up 3-4mph and the difference in the tunes is about 5-6 deg of timing which I guess would be 60 - 70hp ?
Yeah with small differences, things can get washed out with variances.