Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Testing Legmaker intake on stock and modified Hellcats

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Did you get any passed where temps were the same? If so did you still lose time or was it no change?
Honestly I don't remember but I doubt it.
I wasn't logging yet with hptuners. I had given up on Diablo.
I did see higher temps every run at the line. The mph was close but a little less with the LMI.
It was warm out so the air coming in wasn't going to have any effect like it would in the fall maybe.
The interesting thing was the temps difference minutes after running with a thermometer. The plastic tubes appear to cool off quicker or just not get as hot.
Possibly from starting much cooler.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I like the challenge to try to go faster without just throwing a tune and pulley at it.
I am the same way. After the troubles I had last year after the cat recall I have no choice but to tune.
The car is no longer consistent and logs didn't show anything good going on. Running out of fuel pump , injectors past maxed out and bleeding boost at times.:poop::mad:
So now that I have to get a tune to fix the friggin tune they put in I am adding an ATI 10% lower and injectors for safety with a BAP.
Hopefully I will really be able to piss off the Redeye's now even more.:LOL:
Sadly now I will have a modded car that may not be as fast as others at the track.
Try to explain the lack of an upper pulley to others for the difference. LOL

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I am the same way. After the troubles I had last year after the cat recall I have no choice but to tune.
The car is no longer consistent and logs didn't show anything good going on. Running out of fuel pump , injectors past maxed out and bleeding boost at times.:poop::mad:
So now that I have to get a tune to fix the friggin tune they put in I am adding an ATI 10% lower and injectors for safety with a BAP.
Sadly now I will have a modded car that may not be as fast as others at the track.
Were you modded when they did the cat recall? I thought the latest flash was gtg for stock.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #104
So what you are saying the vaccine for the car didn't work? I don't have an issue getting the new cats but don't want the computer flash

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Were you modded when they did the cat recall? I thought the latest flash was gtg for stock.
Nope I am still stock power.
Over the winter I had my friend come by with the computer from work a couple of times to make sure there was no updates.
Sadly none to be found.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Nope I am still stock power.
Over the winter I had my friend come by with the computer from work a couple of times to make sure there was no updates.
Sadly none to be found.
That sucks. I was following that thread and members reported trouble with the initial flash but IIRC, it was corrected. I’ll have to revisit it.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
So what you are saying the vaccine for the car didn't work? I don't have an issue getting the new cats but don't want the computer flash
The worst thing is my Friend did the work and called to to ask if my car was modded because of the reflash.
I shouldn't have let him flash it. Unfortunatly I have had issues with the car that may require major warranty work so I didn't want any red flags in the system.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
That sucks. I was following that thread and members reported trouble with the initial flash but IIRC, it was corrected. I’ll have to revisit it.
FWIW my issues are not what others were reporting. I waited until those issues were cleared up.
What happened to me was my car was no longer consistent. In the heat I could feel the car lay over.
Once I got Hptuners I saw that my car was goig into cat overtemp earlier than before.
To the point that it maxed out my injectors and fuel pump.
The car was going into cat over temp before which is why I went for the recall figuring it would help. I was wrong.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Here's some data for you guys to chew on. Factory tunes too cold pulls power as does too hot. In terms of IAT it'll start pulling power progressively as IAT approaches 212° F. A standard Hellcat will pull a max of 6 deg and a RE 10, but remember it won't be max until 212° F and if your IATs are that high you got bigger problems. What I'd be curious about when looking at a CAI vs stock air box would be what the aircharge reading was in a log. That's a direct measurement of how much air is going in to the engine. If a CAI has higher aircharge then it's letting in more air. THEN you have to worry about temps and all the below I think. Factory tunes have all kind of nannies so it's going to be a bit harder to really test something like this. Cat over temp is probably the first nanny you hit on a stock car and it kills power on these things with a low 10 AFR.

From a 2019 RE:
1624923024071.png

It'll also pull a bit for engine coolant temp. The reference hot ECT temp is 244.
2019 RE ECT Hot Table:
1624923068006.png

Then you have torque management that'll kick in at various temperatures. Oil temp is one where if it's too cold it'll hold back power so running a car cold off the trailer you probably won't run as good as one with warm fluids.

From a 2019 RE:
1624923334645.png

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Also, I found an old log from my car bone stock (stock air box and filter). In 1500 DA (about 80° F air temp) I ran a 10.67 at 128. Aircharge in the log was 1350 mg at the top of 4th with an IAT of 138° F. IAT right before launch was 131° F. Compare that to a log with the LMI or JLT on a stock car in similar weather.

Keep in mind a faster MPH will cool the IAT. My buddy Sam ran the TX Mile in his Trackhawk and his ending IAT was actually lower than starting by quite a bit. 170 - 180mph cools things down pretty quick on the heat exchanger.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
mat.PNG
I've been trying to figure out the difference between IAT and MAT on these cars. I doubt it is much but that is what the stock file goes off of. It can be changed to IAT. My understanding is Coolant temp and IAT adjust to create the MAT temp. MAT will read slightly higher.

My first LMI pass and stock box only has about a 1mph difference. That small of a difference could have came from anything.

Hellcat stock IAT/MAT hot table
iat.PNG

@Speedy! I saw 0 difference in aircharge on the only 2 runs I had datalogged. I wish I had the first pass. I'm guessing I double clicked and didn't notice it. I'm sure I'll get back to the track soon if it ever stops raining. We really wanted to get 5 runs in.
I know 2 or 3 degrees doesn't seem like much but that could be the difference between a few mph.

I also wish I had a stock filter to compare with. I have a drop in filter.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #112
Order a filter Rockauto $23

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
My AFe does have heat insulation on the outside of their intake "box"/shield.

My trap speeds stayed around the same between the 2 intakes. LMI was last year and AFe was this year. Temps and DA were pretty similar but far from same day results.
@YMMV
Tell me more about that insulation on the outside of the afe intake box? Any pictures?

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I added MAT to my datalog today. Take a look at the difference here. MAT is matching IAT on my dash. mat.PNG

Last edited:

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
IAT = Intake Air Temp (pre blower)
MAT = Manifold air temp (post blower after the air is compressed)

I keep an eye on ACT (aircharge temp) in my logs which lines up with MAT.

You can find a pic online of where those sensors are located.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
IAT = Intake Air Temp (pre blower)
MAT = Manifold air temp (post blower after the air is compressed)

I keep an eye on ACT (aircharge temp) in my logs which lines up with MAT.

You can find a pic online of where those sensors are located.
Where is that IAT reading located on the performance pages?

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #117
Where is that IAT reading located on the performance pages?
I use the one on my dash

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
I use the one on my dash
That's pre blower or actual inlet ambient air temp? I didn't think that reading existed on our Cats without a scantool.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Dash matches ACT/MAT on mine.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #120
That's pre blower or actual inlet ambient air temp? I didn't think that reading existed on our Cats without a scantool.
That is the only intake temp I have