Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Seriously considering getting a Tesla Model S P 100 D to replace the Charger

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
think he meant ALL of them

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #62
I care...hate to see you turning in your mancard for that ugly car![bash][limp]
I'm not nine, so no need for any cards. And 10.5s out the box is pretty nice, especially being altitude independent. And that plaid version running the nurburgring in what, seven and some change? And Laguna Seca at 1.30.3? That is just "wow" times. You keep your man card, I'll keep the time slips. :)

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I said I cared but I don’t really care that much...and post the time slips on the Tesla forum if you ever run it. Sounds like BS anyways because you said you were selling the Charger because of the cost for fixing up your castle in the mountains?

Last edited:

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I'm not nine, so no need for any cards. And 10.5s out the box is pretty nice, especially being altitude independent. And that plaid version running the nurburgring in what, seven and some change? And Laguna Seca at 1.30.3? That is just "wow" times. You keep your man card, I'll keep the time slips. :)

They may or may not run 10.5s out of the box, which is what a stock redeye on a tire does pretty easily too(close to sea level anyway), but the Teslas I see are usually a step slower than claimed when they are actually at the strip. I'm sure people would say that about Hellcats too as it's so driver dependent once you start getting into a lot of power...

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
I'm pretty sure that to get those Tesla hero runs, you need to choose one of those modes that takes some time to either heat up the batteries or loads up some capacitors or something like that. It's not like you can circle right back into the staging lanes and bang off the same times over and over again. Some with more knowledge on these EV's can better explain or correct these details.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I hear the 1:30. How many consistent laps in a session can they run that well? Because toasting those batteries to run that in one lap is going to take bunches of power off the slave harvested lithium.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Hey @Magnified did you buy out the Lease on the Hellcat or refinance and what was the buyout for the Lease if you don't mind me asking.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #68
I said I cared but I don’t really care that much...and post the time slips on the Tesla forum if you ever run it. Sounds like BS anyways because you said you were selling the Charger because of the cost for fixing up your castle in the mountains?
lol, not a castle in the mountains (that's just a cheap cabin). I sold to take advantage of the ridiculous used market right now, and to fund the refurbishing of a "new to me" house (built in 1975 - even had a sunken conversation pit in the "great" room). The plan is, after completion, and move in, and repairs / updating to the current house, and it's sale, to buy something fast again. So it may be 6 months, or a year (and I'm still liking the Durango HC). Nothing is set in stone, but I don't see writing off an entire field of cars for no real reason. Technology progresses. I really want to see what one can do - lots of hype, let's put it to the test.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #69
I'm pretty sure that to get those Tesla hero runs, you need to choose one of those modes that takes some time to either heat up the batteries or loads up some capacitors or something like that. It's not like you can circle right back into the staging lanes and bang off the same times over and over again. Some with more knowledge on these EV's can better explain or correct these details.
I;ve heard the same (one of the reasons I'm interested in the details from the current owner who mentioned his problems above!). The "big deal" with the latest car is, supposedly, they "guarantee" you can do back to back balls to the wall consistent runs (still, that might mean only two) before having to do the full tip top recharge. And the price is pretty damn steep. But I can tell the wife "It's electric, I'm saving money on gas, and it won't chew up as many tires, and we're saving the environment."

fake smile.gif

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Just saw this picture of a Tesla accident.

1618499057036.jpg

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #71
Hey @Magnified did you buy out the Lease on the Hellcat or refinance and what was the buyout for the Lease if you don't mind me asking.
I bought out the 0% lease in 2020 for the residual (since in Texas you pay sales tax on the lease at the full value of the car, if you buyout the lease you pay no sales tax since it has already been paid). Then I sold to these guys, sendmethevin, or whatever, for a check of the sales price minus the payoff (which they will send to USAA directly) minus $1000 so I still have skin in the game (once they receive the title from USAA they send that last $1000). So far, I think everything is okay. We'll see in the long run.

In Texas, to get that tax credit for the up front payment, you have to have a pre-negotiated buy out. I think mine was like 43k if I remember correctly. Hope that answer your questions.

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Was just driving a Tesla today. I prioritize power (well torque actually) and the Tesla has buckets of it. I'm not getting one though as I don't have the garage space or the income for all the cars I think are interesting. As I can only have a few cars the Tesla isn't making my list. Its expensive, its reliability is questionable, service is a pain, they aren't special around here, it doesn't feel like a muscle car and my friends would all give me shit. Actually I'd do it because my friends would give me shit...for a short period of time...except I'm not spending all that cash for the kicks of screwing with my buddies. Maybe a Prius, just for a few weeks. Then become a YouTube star sending it off a cliff or something.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
This dog found some tesla drivers balls. 😂

Attachments

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
This dog found some tesla drivers balls. 😂
Thought we were saying that Tesla drivers don’t have any balls?[dunno]

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Just be careful about that auto-pilot. Seems like every week some poor sap trusts one of these cars to do the driving and they end up in the morgue
Kinda like lettin yer wife drive you around:oops::oops:

recurveman

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smithton
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Hellcat WB
Kinda like lettin yer wife drive you around:oops::oops:
I see you're from Orchard Park and you're about the right age. Any chance you knew Dick Kirby?

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States
Also, who was it that noted they'd had problems? Whatnot? Please provide make, model, mileage, year and any particulars regarding the manufacturers response. I would greatly appreciate it.
They all seem to, everyone i know has had MAJOR PROBLEMS , not little things where its a 30 minute repair, and was driven to the dealership. These were towed away, and gone weeks and weeks.
Heck just google consumer reports and read, they don't even recommend anyone buy them.
And no these weren't old cars, or high mileage. 6 months to 2 years old, and all under 10k miles.
I had to laugh when I last drove the MIL tesla and it went into limp mode, limiting me to 10% power. According to the cars screen, i had driven it to hard, forcing it to over heat the motors and batteries. Hell i drive my mustang twice as fast on the same roads, and it doesn't give a shit. My mustang would smoke its ass on a race longer than a mile, but hey, it might possibly get to 80 mph quicker, once. Tesla so over inflates its numbers, i would guess that if they say 0 - 60 in 4 seconds, that really means 7 seconds in true life conditions, just like their range estimates, which are triple the distance it actually goes between charges.
But hey good luck with it, you're going to need it.
Make sure that you have a good backup ride to use, because the tesla will spend 70% of its life at the shop. Maybe buy a nice Porsche 911 turbo s as the backup car, which will be getting the bulk of the miles put on it.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
State
OR
Country
United States

And you can make one pass, then its too hot and needs a rest. I've driven 8 teslas, still waiting for just 1 to impress me a teeny little bit. I raced a tesla, he said okay lets do it from 30 to 130 mph, i let him choose the race. My bike smoked that tesla, i asked for another run from stopped to 150 mph, but he said no way. My bike is bone stock, and I'm not a professional drag racer by any means. He knew that after his run from 30 to 130, if he tried to go 0 to 150 it would really suffer, because it would be over taxing the battery and motors. In his own words " It definitely doesn't have the performance of the Mustang I traded in on it".

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #79
Thanks for the information. What model is that?

I am a life member of consumer reports (their info is invaluable) and their ratings for most tesla models is very poor for the reliablity reasons you mention. They do recommend one model, though (and its not the S). The S was rated as highly reliable for years until it hit the last two model years and it went in the toilet. I think part of the allure of the Tesla is the lifestyle signalling people do with it (which is not what I'm interested in at all). Car says I'm wealthy, I'm cutting edge, I care about the planet and so they are willing to put up with all its faults. Even with all its faults (which I give credit to the owners for reporting honestly) the customer satisfaction is just about the highest they've ever recorded. (I think the HC has the same effect - there are downsides to the HC that many owners over look - including me - because so much of the rest of the car is so good.) I am still undecided. It'll depend on where the car market is when the whole house situation shakes out. If my businesses have a couple of good quarters, we'll see. If I was independently wealthy, I think I'd spring for it just to experiment, but with that kind of costing, I can't just toss money around for the fun of it.