Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Seriously considering getting a Tesla Model S P 100 D to replace the Charger

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I don't particularly care that its electric, that performance is just absolutely nuts.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Yeah, what do you think you would have to pay for one - aren't they like $130k+ new? Would you purchase and install their special battery charger too?

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Thread Starter #3
I would likely buy low mile used and go with the base charger not the wall unit. When I was looking I found a fair number of 25 to 35 thousand mile cars for less than a new HC. But nothing is set in stone yet.

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
They are rockets, no doubt. I just can't get past the absence of the V-8 visceral experiences.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I've heard from people they've enjoyed renting them. That they were awesome cars. Which I don't doubt.
A few things to keep in mind with batteries:
Tesla cars actually charge up to 90% by default to help protect the battery
We don't want our battery to drain down too low (below 20%) for an extended period of time.
Every 10-15 charges or so, we advise you to charge the vehicle up to 90% and then allow the charge to get down to about 20%
For me since I'm in Michigan the cold weather also affects longevity and range of the battery.
I believe I saw something that in certain temperatures you can't turn the car off so it keeps the batteries warm. I think it was around -15 or -20. I'll have to research that again.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I've heard from people they've enjoyed renting them. That they were awesome cars. Which I don't doubt.
A few things to keep in mind with batteries:
Tesla cars actually charge up to 90% by default to help protect the battery
We don't want our battery to drain down too low (below 20%) for an extended period of time.
Every 10-15 charges or so, we advise you to charge the vehicle up to 90% and then allow the charge to get down to about 20%
For me since I'm in Michigan the cold weather also affects longevity and range of the battery.
I believe I saw something that in certain temperatures you can't turn the car off so it keeps the batteries warm. I think it was around -15 or -20. I'll have to research that again.
Yep. We know people here in MN who have them. It is a struggle at below zero temps, it is more than a struggle at less than -15 F. But (I hate speaking positive on battery power), those temps don’t happen often and are temporary. @Magnified won’t see serious cold in W. Texas like that.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
The Electric Revolution is definitely on our door step which I would pass on the Tesla just for the simple reason the likes of Ford and the big name manufactures are coming to the market with a lot of options. And the Tesla network of dealers is like not much which there are stories of Tesla owners not having their car for weeks and or even months at a time. And Tesla is so proprietary they do not like to negotiate with issues and are rude plus I ain't the Musk fan even though yeh he's made tons of money but Tesla is BROKE beyond BROKE once you take away the Carbon Foot Print monies they receive from all the other Manufactures. Its truly insane the other Auto companies have to pay Tesla to avoid Government EPA fines. Talk about the SCAM to the MAX Government favoritism to Tesla at the expense to you and I the consumer what a total fucking JOKE. No thanks Tesla can Kiss my pretty ASS.

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
IMO, Electric cars are the absolute future and gas cars will be obsolete. I believe this because you can never get the power/torque out of Petro as you can out of electric.

landoawd

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hillsborough
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I would pass on the Tesla just for the simple reason the likes of Ford and the big name manufactures are coming to the market with a lot of options.
I'd pass on these until they get the kinks worked out. Tesla is what, 7 years in, and still has QC issues. ICE Fords still only occasionally run, and that's 100+ years of work. (kidding...mostly)

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Just be careful about that auto-pilot. Seems like every week some poor sap trusts one of these cars to do the driving and they end up in the morgue

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
you can never get the power/torque out of Petro as you can out of electric.
I don't know if I agree with you there, the new turbo engines with those new variable vane turbos or what ever they are can make peak torque now well below 2000 rpms, so that's almost peak torque off idle like electric, and gas engines make more horsepower up top for sure, and if every car was all wheel drive like the fastest Teslas are, you would not find much of advantage for them at all anymore. Factor in their high cost in and... Plus now they are putting two electric motors in now, will probably go to 3 - or 2 larger motors, IMO there isn't that much magic going on there when you think about it.

I was recently reading that metals like cobalt and nickel will actually be harder to come by that Lithium is these batteries are ever truly mass-produced.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Give me one of those upcoming Corvettes in any configuration even close to the reports of the ZR1 Zora with electric assist and even just their good ICE variant without forced induction they are planning and any of you can drive a Tesla. Pick your drag race strip, 1/2 mile, mile or for absolute sure name any road track in the WORLD or just your favorite canyon run and your on with any battery machine. You don’t have the power in the electric system to charge them in the evenings anyway, let alone to plan your stops to recharge.

My guess is Stellantis is not going to sit on their hands either. It won’t be long. We will see something. Think about the possibility of a couple of little electric motors up front to get the big beasts out of the hole? Then our magic 800 hp kicks in. Remember 2015, and the revolutionary Hellcat?? They can do something big again. I agree with the above, I would hold on a Tesla for now.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
Just fill the trunk and backseat up with snacks, drinks, a blow up doll, mattress, and a tv, to keep yourself entertained at all the longgg stops to charge it up.
MIL is selling hers, she hates it, so its for sale. Most unreliable vehicle I've ever heard of. Make sure to always be in cell service so you can call the tow truck. Last week the door refused to close properly, or stay closed. Which triggered the safety switch, so it would not move. Not as bad as when it just shuts down for no reason, or the steering wheel locks up in a turn and she slides into the ditch, or is just sitting in the middle of an intersection for 30 minutes blocking traffic. I drove it, told me that my range to a dead battery was only 71 more miles, and it had 64% battery left. Damn I thought, aren't they supposed to have something around a 300 mile range, not 100 miles. If I drove it to the city, it would just get there, and be dead.

Whatknot

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
nearest is Portland, but live in the country
State
OR
Country
United States
A Lambo Huracan Evo awd is my dream car, or else a Porsche 911 turbo s would also do. That V10 sound of the Huracan makes me as excited as having sex, the acceleration is a rush, and omg it was so nice to drive. I couldn't stop smiling for hours after I got out of it.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
All other considerations aside, I'd truly miss the aural bliss of the induction & S/C howl + rumbling exhaust note to ever own one of these.
I'll keep my ICE vehicles for as long as I can get gas for them !

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
tenor.gif

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
Hey Magnified. If you are going to take the leap to electric I'd ask you to check out the Jaguar I Pace. I've driven one and it was solid and performed great. I was searching for a Randy Pobst vid where he tracked it and was quite impressed but couldn't find it.

Although many remember the days of Jaguar reliability issues I've owned 3 over the last 7 years and had no issues. All were supercharged V-8's so my hope is their engineers did the same solid work on their EV. Their Elitecare provides 5 year/60,000 mile coverage including roadside assitance and maintenance. My current daily is an F-Pace SVR and it is fantastic.

Just a thought I wanted to share before you pull the trigger on a Tesla. My doctor has one and is quite disappointed with the actual battery performance vs what was promised.

Good luck and hope you land a fun ride.

https://www.jaguarusa.com/about-jaguar/elitecare.html

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Give me one of those upcoming Corvettes in any configuration even close to the reports of the ZR1 Zora with electric assist and even just their good ICE variant without forced induction they are planning and any of you can drive a Tesla. Pick your drag race strip, 1/2 mile, mile or for absolute sure name any road track in the WORLD or just your favorite canyon run and your on with any battery machine. You don’t have the power in the electric system to charge them in the evenings anyway, let alone to plan your stops to recharge.

My guess is Stellantis is not going to sit on their hands either. It won’t be long. We will see something. Think about the possibility of a couple of little electric motors up front to get the big beasts out of the hole? Then our magic 800 hp kicks in. Remember 2015, and the revolutionary Hellcat?? They can do something big again. I agree with the above, I would hold on a Tesla for now.
Hey are trunks are huge. I’d give it up for a giant battery in the back and hellcat motor in the front. Put variable 2wd or 4wd. 1000hp