Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Okay, I admit I'm pretty impressed by the 2020 Corvette

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I recently looked further into this, and while I stand by my statement that this is not a "Corvette" in the classic sense, I have to admit it is an impressive car. And no less because of the supposed starting price point - $60,000 for that car is pretty amazing. Will never work for me for a whole host of reasons, but I will give credit where it is due and it is due here. Even the base model at 60K is stunning. Good on you, Chevy. So, now back to your regularly scheduled programming....

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Yeah she’s nice but damn seems like GM is definitely changing it’s appeal. I grew up with Chevys and the interiors of their cars and ride just doesn’t do it for me anymore,

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Chevy builds nice trucks. I have one. Not much interested in anything else they sell. I always considered vettes cars for old guys with bad comb overs. I guess I’m becoming and old man but have been spared the comb over curse. They can keep them.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
I suspect, however, that the starting price point will rarely be seen at first and completely snowed by ADM...

Detroit Muscle

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Apple Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Growing up in Detroit and having family members that worked for all of the "big three" auto manufacturers, had a significant influence on my love for cars. Particularly American Muscle Cars.
I will always appreciate and enjoy the performance vehicles from Ford, GM & Chrysler (aka Dodge).
That being said, I feel the new Corvette is another example of why I think the U.S. makes some of the best performance cars, dollar for dollar!

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Interesting; looks like my stock Charger HC would get roasted off the line, but chase one of these things down. But then again, that's the base model (and I"m not talking on the track, on the street). I can't believe that price point - and I'd have to say if I was younger I'd probably go look at one of these. And speaking of younger, Jay Leno is looking old. Good guy, and age takes its toll on everyone. You young guys, stay that way. Getting old sucks. lol

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Despise GM and swear I’ll never buy another new one...hmm, does that go for a used C8? Pretty dang nice.

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
The new mid engine Corvette is going to change how a lot of people look at cars. I hate the term “Super Car” but let’s be honest, this may be a “Poor Man’s Super Car.” Look at what the current C8 is able to do. Imagine when they throw more HP at it. 700hp in this car could bend the freaking world.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I double dog dare ya to find one for that advertised $60K ! Even without ADM (which will be an issue at 1st) I'd bet most will be optioned north of $80K.
Still, it is an awesome car for the $$ - assuming that the build quality/reliability is as good as the car looks !

OLDBAYCRAB

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middle River
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WB Redeye Octane Red
Damn.... I thought the new Corvette was pretty sweet until I saw what you have to do to change the oil...

You gotta flip it on it's side and let it drain out of a poorly placed hole under the drivers seat. Look closely...

1574915481178.png [histerical]

[kidding] [kidding] [kidding] [kidding] [kidding]

How many of you looked closely at the pic?... [histerical] [histerical] [histerical]

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I suspect, however, that the starting price point will rarely be seen at first and completely snowed by ADM...
In WNY...Just about all the dealers are selling at MSRP..all day long..I had access to one a month ago...base model no Z51 package..it truly is an amazing car...strangely enough it lacks the exhaust note and tone of our hellcats..(or even the C7 for that matter)..my guess the configuration of the exhaust given the mid engine application has a lot to do with it...I was allowed to drive it responsibly (so I was told)..not a solo ride..but given my unfamiliarity with the car..that was fine by me...handles like a slot car..make no mistake..59,995.00 to 85.000.00...takes less time than the C8 does to go from 0 to 60....

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
They have the 500 mile break in period enforced by the computer, and I suspect that limitation (mainly a reduction in 15-20 percent of torque) would also effect the various exhaust settings. (like the mustang you can dial-a-zaust). I heard one sounding pretty tight myself. Have to see once they're common place.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
They have the 500 mile break in period enforced by the computer, and I suspect that limitation (mainly a reduction in 15-20 percent of torque) would also effect the various exhaust settings. (like the mustang you can dial-a-zaust). I heard one sounding pretty tight myself. Have to see once they're common place.
This one had roughly 4200 miles on it...driven from Boling Green to WNY on at least 3 occasions..the race setting sounded loud..but raspy...hellcats have it beat hands down for sound quality...too much car for me to resist...had to pull the trigger

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
You bought it? lol, you SOB. wish I was close enough to go for a ride with you!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
You bought it? lol, you SOB. wish I was close enough to go for a ride with you!
Well I couldn't buy that one..it was actually a pre production model (drivin by a kid from WNY that is an engineer on the C8 team)...talk about a great job...he gets to drive the car as his DD..putting as many miles on it as possible for evaluation...one strange thing bout the car...I had it on display at one of our sunday football parties...(pics in an earlier post)..it was dirty so I hand washed it..major pita...the sharp lines of the car especially in the back make it a pain to wash...first world issue I guess

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Well I couldn't buy that one..it was actually a pre production model (drivin by a kid from WNY that is an engineer on the C8 team)...talk about a great job...he gets to drive the car as his DD..putting as many miles on it as possible for evaluation...one strange thing bout the car...I had it on display at one of our sunday football parties...(pics in an earlier post)..it was dirty so I hand washed it..major pita...the sharp lines of the car especially in the back make it a pain to wash...first world issue I guess
I never asked the details of your order. What package, color, and your current status. Mine still has not been picked up so I won't see it til after summer I am sure. :(

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
This one had roughly 4200 miles on it...driven from Boling Green to WNY on at least 3 occasions..the race setting sounded loud..but raspy...hellcats have it beat hands down for sound quality...too much car for me to resist...had to pull the trigger
Is it wrong for me to think the exhaust note on a Hellcat is good but still pretty mediocre? I get that a stock cam, manifolds, cats, resonators, active valves, and mufflers are not a fair comparison to a custom cam, headers, and cambered mufflers.

But, if I want auditory overload I start my wagon.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Is it wrong for me to think the exhaust note on a Hellcat is good but still pretty mediocre? I get that a stock cam, manifolds, cats, resonators, active valves, and mufflers are not a fair comparison to a custom cam, headers, and cambered mufflers.

But, if I want auditory overload I start my wagon.
The answer to your question is yes.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
The answer to your question is yes.
Awwww... am I supposed to drink the infallible Hellcat Kool-Aid in this self-ingratiating Jonestown camp? Ain't happening. I've custom built too many cars, and too many custom exhaust systems, to know what really good sounds like - and a Hellcat is good (good enough?) sounding for stock but that is where it ends.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Awwww... am I supposed to drink the infallible Hellcat Kool-Aid in this self-ingratiating Jonestown camp? Ain't happening. I've custom built too many cars, and too many custom exhaust systems, to know what really good sounds like - and a Hellcat is good (good enough?) sounding for stock but that is where it ends.
You asked lol.
Tbh all of your vast experience has you tainted. Your perspective is completely different than us mere mortals because you're used to lumpy cams and custom trick exhausts. Hard to compare custom aftermarket to EPA emissions approved mass produced stock. Apples to apples there’s def no better stock exhaust sound yet imo.