Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Motor Authority says HellCat Durango is a go.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
@Purerock105 - yeah, the HC will fly by it, but it’s all in what you’re after.

You can only do so much to get a Hellcat to hook on the street, but a few basic mods to the DHC or TH and they can stay out in front of their kin

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Yes, on the street, all out as you approach 90mph or so, the Hellcat is coming hard for a Trackhawk or any similar powered/weight truck

Keep the stop light wars sub 100mph, the Hellcat isn’t going to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I think the bump in RE sales over the HC was due mostly to the hardware upgrade the RE saw, not just the HP. ( larger blower and upgrade block design)

Hence why I think we’ll see the TH and maybe the Durango go the same route. My only question is will they continue with the standard HC for another year.

Could you imagine what would happen to used HC values if the RE became the standard engine in all HC's, TH's, and HC Durango's because they didn't want to carry production and tooling for both engines?

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Could you imagine what would happen to used HC values if the RE became the standard engine in all HC's, TH's, and HC Durango's because they didn't want to carry production and tooling for both engines?
I don’t think it will be nearly as drastic when they went from the 6.1l to the 6.4l in the first year challengers, but there will probably be a hit to values down the road.

OP
Purerock105

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Thread Starter #45
Yes, on the street, all out as you approach 90mph or so, the Hellcat is coming hard for a Trackhawk or any similar powered/weight truck

Keep the stop light wars sub 100mph, the Hellcat isn’t going to win.

Yep. In technical terms for where I live. Street light to street light every 1/8th of a mile and 45mph max speed limit, the DSRT is perfect.
Get out in the country of South Central Florida like enroute to Sebring and the HC is the clear winner.

Best of both worlds. 🍻🇺🇸👍😂

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
There is always a used market and a new market... Heck, I shouldn't even be looking at new cars, so bring on the low resale!!!

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I would not exactly classify any hellcat powered vehicle as “selling well”... besides maybe the first year red eye.

Trackhawk still out sold the widebody HC and standard Hellcat in 2019. It’s definitely a niche vehicle, but facts are facts... if the TH is a turd sales wise, what’s the challenger HC?

2019 Production Figures:

Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk: 1,693

Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat: 2,285

Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody: 1,361

Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat: 1,134 cars w

Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody: 3,353

Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye: 604

Yea, but you broke out the Hellcat into multiple versions in order show the Trackhawk sold better. That's not the way it works. The Challenger Hellcat is ONE vehicle, widebody or Redeye, total sales: 6,452 sold . The Charger Hellcat is one vehicle, total sales: 2,285 sold. The Trackhawk didn't outsell either of those vehicles nor did I or FCA ever expect it to at its inflated price.

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Yea, but you broke out the Hellcat into multiple versions in order show the Trackhawk sold better. That's not the way it works. The Challenger Hellcat is ONE vehicle, widebody or Redeye, total sales: 6,452 sold . The Charger Hellcat is one vehicle, total sales: 2,285 sold. The Trackhawk didn't outsell either of those vehicles nor did I or FCA ever expect it to at its inflated price.
I copy and pasted it, I did not break them down.

We could break all this down several ways, but I’d agree the most sensible way would be 6.2/2.4 blower models comparison only.

The RE is a different story. It’s a different drivetrain from the HC.

CPRHDSRT

Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fork
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 HC Challenger
Not sure about the RE motor going into the DHC or TH. The AWD system was already tweaked to handle 707HP for the TH. Might require an R&D investment that FCA/PSA (or whatever the heck the company is called now) won't sign off on. HC motor in the Durango is same drivetrain / assembly line as TH.

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Yea, tough to say if center diff is really an issue or a bad batch of diffs, as some have had issues stock but most have not.

What they could do is torque manage the shit out of first gear and just not say anything.

Rest of drivetrain is relatively worry free

clv22p

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nashville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger 1320
From what I understand the Trackhawk is going away for the 2021 year. The Grand Cherokee is going to be redesigned and not likely to have a hellcat version the first year.

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
I don't understand why FCA doesn't upgrade the current AWD set up on the challenger and police chargers and give us an AWD option for the hellcats.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Gents I cannot express enough just how batshit crazy the idea of a 5300+lb 700hp SUV is. I know because I built one (https://ls1tech.com/forums/11-second-club/1846606-tbss-11s.html) and took it on Drag Week (bitch-ass Demon owners take note) and it scares the ever living shit out of me.

It is an outta control supercharged barn (with way more in it); and now it has an even more robust transmission and more converter.

So an 800hp version is an even worse idea... and FCA should do it. But, as mentioned it will come a serious cost and the scales of economy don't support it. So that shouldn't stop Dodge...

OP
Purerock105

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Thread Starter #54
So an 800hp version is an even worse idea... and FCA should do it. But, as mentioned it will come a serious cost and the scales of economy don't support it. So that shouldn't stop Dodge...

This. We should applaud the current FCA peeps that run SRT. It's the old adage..."wouldn't it be cool if they put that motor in..."Ford & Chevy aren't doing anything close to what the Dodge boys are doing.

Does it look to make fiscal sense? Probably not. Buy it why you can. Life is short. 🍻🇺🇸

Tannehill

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
New castle
State
DE
Country
United States
But they did expect to be able to sell 5,000 or so units a year. They haven't even come close. Well, technically they made and "sold" more than that the first year, but they rammed production down dealers throats and we all know how extremely luke warm the reception was and how long it took to sell the 2018 inventory. (I think there are still "new" 18s out there that now are listed as "used").

You won't find many leftover 2019 TH because they hardly made any more than what was ordered for sale.

Tannehill

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
New castle
State
DE
Country
United States
If the current JGC-SRT and DSRT share so much as to be virtually the same but different vehicle, I would imagine it would be the same with TrackHawk and HCD. $68k to $88k. The Durango HellCat has to be less than TrackHawk, just has to. $78k..? 10grand more than GC or D, but 10grand less than TH.

Of course our pricing is based on current msrp. We have no idea what the actual cost is to produce them. Those numbers are guarded like Col Sanders KFC recipe. 😂
I've stated this before on the other site, not sure if here :

I have it from an extremely reputable source that the Jeep SRT is the most profitable vehicle in the entire FCA family. With that being known, the DSRT has to be the same, and the Jeep TH and soon to be DTH gotta be just as profitable or more.

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Yes, pickup trucks are even more profitable then SUV’s, for all manufacturers
It’s no secret that the cayenne saved Porsche and as much as they bitch about it being a Porsche, 911 owners should thank cayenne drivers because that’s what pays for 911 development

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Yes, pickup trucks are even more profitable then SUV’s, for all manufacturers
It’s no secret that the cayenne saved Porsche and as much as they bitch about it being a Porsche, 911 owners should thank cayenne drivers because that’s what pays for 911 development

Be it FCA...Ford Chevy...or the imports...we should all be thankful that volume or profitability are not the only factors that dictate bringing models to market...if it were...a lot more of us would be golfing on weekends...my .02

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Be it FCA...Ford Chevy...or the imports...we should all be thankful that volume or profitability are not the only factors that dictate bringing models to market...if it were...a lot more of us would be golfing on weekends...my .02
Yep, it’s nice to know that every once in a while, an actual car guy decision is made at car companies these days, irregardless of what an accountant says.