Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Jon's Hellcat

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #1,361
Wish I would of known about him already ordered a new motor and didn’t have a core to build
Chuck
What did you go with? I considered a stock swap out one. They are pretty cheap

Chuck

Founding Member
Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye Super Stock
Ordered it through Curt stroked 426 I think it’s a Demon Performance build

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
@jonx96 do you have any logs from when the pump died? I'm trying to find correlation here. When pumps go bad as I have found out with my BAP the car goes into limp mode as the fuel pressure drops to a dangerous level. OST was tuning my car at that time and Mike was pointing out that BAPs just dont' work and well thank god then the car didn't yeet.

I'm starting to think more about your 25PSI of boost and stock rods just don't mix and you've been a fast car for a long time.

Chuck

Founding Member
Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye Super Stock
I believe the boost in my case was the issue as I have 5 S shaped rods

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Ordered it through Curt stroked 426 I think it’s a Demon Performance build
How quickly did they get you your replacement?

Chuck

Founding Member
Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye Super Stock
How quickly did they get you your replacement?
Still Waiting told about 4 weeks

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I would say it most likely wasn't the RPM but the Boost levels that created the bent and broken rods. I've seen many guys run these stock engines up to 7200 without issues. not saying I recommend it, but the boost is more than likely the issue. The redeye engines should have held more than the older hellcat engines. Supposed to be built with stronger parts.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I'm not sure if Jon has checked other rods yet, but if it was horse power related I'd expect more bent ones. Going lean generates a lot of heat and the piston can seize, break ring lands, etc and with one piston / rod destroyed that's what it looks like at least on the surface. Jon says he had pumps failing likely a result of the BAP use over time. Seen that more than once and it's kind of a bad deal because the pump doesn't just fail, it just gets weak which is a worse case scenario.

I think I saw it was cylinder 2 and another forum member had the same failure. The front cylinders are farthest from the fuel line, so could be a variable. As fuel pressure starts to not keep up those could be the first to go lean. The logs/sensors are aggregate across all 4 cylinders on each bank so some cylinders could be more lean than others.

@vortecd you getting rid of the BAP?

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I'm not sure if Jon has checked other rods yet, but if it was horse power related I'd expect more bent ones. Going lean generates a lot of heat and the piston can seize, break ring lands, etc and with one piston / rod destroyed that's what it looks like at least on the surface. Jon says he had pumps failing likely a result of the BAP use over time. Seen that more than once and it's kind of a bad deal because the pump doesn't just fail, it just gets weak which is a worse case scenario.

I think I saw it was cylinder 2 and another forum member had the same failure. The front cylinders are farthest from the fuel line, so could be a variable. As fuel pressure starts to not keep up those could be the first to go lean. The logs/sensors are aggregate across all 4 cylinders on each bank so some cylinders could be more lean than others.

@vortecd you getting rid of the BAP?
As of right now, no. I have mine at about 30%. Still don't know if it is a good idea to run 3 pumps all the time without a return

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
As of right now, no. I have mine at about 30%. Still don't know if it is a good idea to run 3 pumps all the time without a return
I'm still running my triples return less, also just added a dedicated -10 feed line and am feeding both rails. through PWM I think the pumps run less than when they are in a return style system being ran at full tilt and just using the regulator to bleed off pressure. or only using one or two then having the others on a hobbs switch.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I'd keep a close eye. We've chatted on yours a bit and something still doesn't add up, to me at least.

I'm still running my triples return less, also just added a dedicated -10 feed line and am feeding both rails. through PWM I think the pumps run less than when they are in a return style system being ran at full tilt and just using the regulator to bleed off pressure. or only using one or two then having the others on a hobbs switch.
I'm of the same thinking here. Pump one is PWM and pump 2 and 3 just mimic so mine don't go full tilt until WOT. Only down side I can see is a bit more heat from the 3rd pump, but since I'm running the FORE hat that's open in the tank it's unlikely to make much difference. I'm curious what fuel setup the Demon 170 has. It has to be feeding a good bit of fuel pressure (returnless) and uses ID1300x injectors if memory serves.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
So is this pile of bolts running yet or what?

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
@jonx96 do you have any logs from when the pump died? I'm trying to find correlation here. When pumps go bad as I have found out with my BAP the car goes into limp mode as the fuel pressure drops to a dangerous level. OST was tuning my car at that time and Mike was pointing out that BAPs just dont' work and well thank god then the car didn't yeet.

I'm starting to think more about your 25PSI of boost and stock rods just don't mix and you've been a fast car for a long time.
Redeye rods are known to be weaker than regular hellcat rods. They’re meant to make the power more efficiently, that’s it. You had demons a few years ago with the same mods as regular hellcats before the red eyes windows the blocks (I’ve seen a few in person)

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I'd keep a close eye. We've chatted on yours a bit and something still doesn't add up, to me at least.

I'm of the same thinking here. Pump one is PWM and pump 2 and 3 just mimic so mine don't go full tilt until WOT. Only down side I can see is a bit more heat from the 3rd pump, but since I'm running the FORE hat that's open in the tank it's unlikely to make much difference. I'm curious what full setup the Demon 170 has. It has to be feeding a good bit of fuel pressure (returnless) and uses ID1300x injectors if memory serves.
From what Jon has seen and that power level, not sure how the d170 is getting away with 1300

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #1,376
From what Jon has seen and that power level, not sure how the d170 is getting away with 1300
But look at how many of the factory cars are maxing out their injectors in good air so i am really not surprised. I am more curious about the pump setup

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
That is a good point, I often wonder if that COT is what maxes the injector.

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

I'm of the same thinking here. Pump one is PWM and pump 2 and 3 just mimic so mine don't go full tilt until WOT. Only down side I can see is a bit more heat from the 3rd pump, but since I'm running the FORE hat that's open in the tank it's unlikely to make much difference. I'm curious what fuel setup the Demon 170 has. It has to be feeding a good bit of fuel pressure (returnless) and uses ID1300x injectors if memory serves.
Exactly my thoughts. I never go below a half tank so I don't see heat ever becoming an issue in my setup.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Exactly my thoughts. I never go below a half tank so I don't see heat ever becoming an issue in my setup.
Being i drive mine everyday it gets to a 1/4 or lower sometimes. I plan some fill ups closer to work being it is normally cheaper. I took 17 gallons not long ago

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Being i drive mine everyday is gets to a 1/4 or lower sometimes. I plan some fill ups closer to work being it is normally cheaper. I took 17 gallons not long ago
you still will have less heat in the pumps via PWM controlling all 3 as opposed to the return system running the pumps wide open and using the regulator to bleed pressure or even using 1 pump on a hobbs switch with the others seeing higher loads.