Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellraiser pulley install...FAIL?!!!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Interesting

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
So you are staying with the stock pulley? And you may have said this before but I missed it, but was this a HC HR pulley or a RE-specific HR pulley they had put together?

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
My $02
I disagree the 2.4 is a better supercharger. You might be able to spin it faster with double pulleys but you are generating more heat and making it less efficient. That can be said about all the superchargers . I believe the 2.7 is a better supercharger if both are kept with in their efficiency range because it will provide more air volume with less heat . That being said I would love to get my hands on the 3.0 L . You need to pick the proper size for the intended usage to keep it efficient and reliable. After a certain point spinning the brains out of any supercharger is just creating heat and shortening the life of the unit .
As for the OP's conundrum I'm not sure what it is with out seeing it in person or testing it myself .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #64
So you are staying with the stock pulley? And you may have said this before but I missed it, but was this a HC HR pulley or a RE-specific HR pulley they had put together?
Yes, I'm staying with the stock for now. I believe the 3.17" size Hellraiser (which is what this is) was made for either. It adds 1 1/2 to 2 lbs of boost which the factory computer supposedly compensates for that variation in pressure without a tune adding @45RWHP to a RE and @25RWHP to a HC.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Sounds like a spring loaded coupler as a GM would have...if I had to guess...

I love marbles.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
No. This is my thinking.
When I took the stock pulley off and compared it to the Hellraiser both had the freewheeling decoupler feature, but the stock pulley would immediately lock up in the direction of load (absolutely no play). The hellraiser is soft on lockup, with a boingy, springy feel with some give (I estimate 1/8" or more...dk didn't measure it) then lockup. I'm thinking with the 2.7 blower there's more resistance/pressure at idle on the shaft with the longer rotors than a 2.4 and there triggering the springy lockup mechanism causing the chatter. If I had a manual idle adjustment like a carburetor I could've changed idle speed and saw what happened at different rpm's.
When you mention change idle speed So if you changed rpm’s, like increased the idle speed just a hair with the accelerator pedal the noise went away? I’m starting to get some noise in my snout area and cant tell if it’s bearings in the snout or front of the blower, both already that old so I’ve been perplexed where it’s coming from but I never suspected the pulley. You have a sound clip by chance of that noise?

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Shaft was $175. Bushings alone were $115.
Breakdown:
Race rebuild 600
Shaft 175
Bushings 115
Shipping 35
Total : 925
So after the snout rebuild, $900 later the noise was just the same? You really have me wondering now if it’s my pulley making noise because my snout bearings a basically new, not even 1500 miles on them and blower bearings probably 4000 but pulleys got 7500 on it and off once not too long ago when I did the snout bearings.

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #68
When you mention change idle speed So if you changed rpm’s, like increased the idle speed just a hair with the accelerator pedal the noise went away? I’m starting to get some noise in my snout area and cant tell if it’s bearings in the snout or front of the blower, both already that old so I’ve been perplexed where it’s coming from but I never suspected the pulley. You have a sound clip by chance of that noise?
Mike I have a clip of it but I never did the YouTube thing. If you want PM me your phone # and I'll send it. You got a Hellraiser on yours? or the stock one?

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #69
So after the snout rebuild, $900 later the noise was just the same? You really have me wondering now if it’s my pulley making noise because my snout bearings a basically new, not even 1500 miles on them and blower bearings probably 4000 but pulleys got 7500 on it and off once not too long ago when I did the snout bearings.
Basically yea. But now I have the ceramic bearings and the quick change shaft no matter what pulley's on the car.

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #70
Yes, when you changed it just a hair or were at substantially higher rpm (2500/3000), it went away.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Mike I have a clip of it but I never did the YouTube thing. If you want PM me your phone # and I'll send it. You got a Hellraiser on yours? or the stock one?
2.85 Hellraiser, an early one, I’ve heard they changed internal design since mine was made. I’ll pm you my number. TY

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I wonder if the bearing in the pulley os gone bad ?? I'm sure it can be rebuilt .....

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #73
I wonder if the bearing in the pulley os gone bad ?? I'm sure it can be rebuilt .....

That's a great shot. I wonder if the guts are the same as that alternator setup (Sure looks it). But I don't see a "ratchet" type mechanism. Just the spring. I wonder if it locks up all force on the spring when under load.

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #74
2.85 Hellraiser, an early one, I’ve heard they changed internal design since mine was made. I’ll pm you my number. TY
It's funny you said that. There's a number on my pulley ( C45 ). The part number on the pulley is 920668. It is a 3.17 Hellraiser for sure. But that C45 number is the lowest "C" number I've seen while looking at pictures, articles, and advertisements. I've never seen an as low or lower "C" number in all the photos I've looked at. I wonder if this was an early NOS pulley I bought.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
That's a great shot. I wonder if the guts are the same as that alternator setup (Sure looks it). But I don't see a "ratchet" type mechanism. Just the spring. I wonder if it locks up all force on the spring when under load.
I'm going to take apart a stock unit . I will let you know . I suspect it's that Bering that's making the noise . Hopefully if all goes well it can just be rebuilt.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Well Crap. The stock pulley does not have the snap ring in the rear like the hellraiser does . So I may have to press it apart . Also the stock one I have says " made in Germany "

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
What James are you playing hooky from work today?

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
What James are you playing hooky from work today?
No . I got up early to take a look at it and found that out . So I left it on my bench till I get home . I will try and press it apart tonight

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Mind if i ask why you needed the rebuild? On the stock blower, right?
Sorry, just catching up on things. Original blower, yes, squeaks and rattles from it. I might have a video somewhere but with the belt off and turning the pulley there was a squeak squeak coming from the snout, the rear of the blower sounded like marbles in a garbage disposer.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Georges
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 HellCat 2018 Demon
You may want to check the bolt at the rear of the snout shaft and/or bearing plate bolt, check the bushings as well 1 or more may have broken there is nothing in the pulley that would create a sound like marbles