Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

DRAGRCR ONESEAT DEMON WHAT ARE THE ODDS?

Mike Jesse

Member ID
Reactions
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 SRT Super Stock 2022 Ram 1500 TRX
Ron, I've had good luck with RC Engineering for injector cleaning. They can also flow fuel pumps.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #522
Ron, I've had good luck with RC Engineering for injector cleaning. They can also flow fuel pumps.
Thank you.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
My Hellcat bone stock didn't like much below 1/2 tank and I'd see the bypass open in logs. Maybe the 2 pumps in the Demon are holding a little more fuel in the bucket avoiding that issue.

On your starting problem, it sounds to me like the lines aren't holding fuel after shut down. If it fires right up after priming it, that would be a clue. Maybe someone with the TI295 pumps can chime in since those don't have check valves and describe their startup characteristics. @16GoManGoHC2 runs the 295s.

Alternatively the fuel trims could be off due to the methanol mixed fuel, but I'd expect a code if it were bad enough to cause a starting issue.
I have the 295 pumps and it starts just like it did stock
Ditto above, mine starts the same now with 295 pumps as when I had dual 285 pumps that have check valves. If you do suck up air depending on the amount will change how the fuel system acts. My suggestion at the time it was occurring would have been get above 1/2 tank of fuel and see how it acted with just that simple change. If it went away you had your answer. If not be looking else where but without logs to help get on a path that’s a poke snd hope seldom successful path.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Slow to start (almost like a weak battery but not) seems to be a common issue with these newer dodges. I'm following several threads on it right now and no one seems to have a definitive answer. It's happening on challengers chargers, redeyes etc and my wife's DSRT does it from time to time. We took it to the dealer and of course could not replicate it. Seems to be worse in warmer air. One thing I noticed, is it does not seem to happen to the folks with aftermarket fuel pumps/hats. Not sure if your having same issue, but thought I'd chime in.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Slow to crank (almost like a weak battery but not) seems to be a common issue with these newer dodges. I'm following several threads on it right now and no one seems to have a definitive answer. It's happening on challengers chargers, redeyes etc and my wife's DSRT does it from time to time. We took it to the dealer and of course could not replicate it. Seems to be worse in warmer air. One thing I noticed, is it does not seem to happen to the folks with aftermarket fuel pumps/hats. Not sure if your having same issue, but thought I'd chime in.
1st thing I noticed with my lipo battery it cranks faster. Ron just put one in his car so unless he got a bad one im not sure that is the issue. I would lean more to the fuel he is running

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #526
1st thing I noticed with my lipo battery it cranks faster. Ron just put one in his car so unless he got a bad one im not sure that is the issue. I would lean more to the fuel he is running
DCR Battery it cranks like a MoFo. Like really fast...............So, not a cranking issue whatsoever.

Mike Jesse

Member ID
Reactions
City
Bremerton
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 SRT Super Stock 2022 Ram 1500 TRX
Ron, since you have added Methanol to the mix you may need to close the plug gap down to help light it off easier.
Worth a try.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
Yeah I put a new agm in my wifes.. not the battery, but ruling out possibilities, that's the first thing I tried. The symptom for what we have is like a weak battery. Like it takes several seconds too long to start. Not always, just sometimes. There are several threads at the other place about it. My hunch is it has something to do with the stock fuel pumps.

Edit: Sorry I meant slow to start (not slow to crank in my earlier post)

Last edited:
OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #529
Ron, since you have added Methanol to the mix you may need to close the plug gap down to help light it off easier.
Worth a try.
You guys are misunderstanding this. It has long crank times. Once it gets gas it starts right up. It's not spitting and farting like an E-85 car on a cold morning. I am running 25% methanol. It's still 75% gasoline and I doubt that would ever cause a starting issue.

PS: I ain't touching those plugs. Some say it is not that bad, but I find it to be extremely difficult. I know there are some tricks to doing this but I have not learned them yet.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
You guys are misunderstanding this. It has long crank times. Once it gets gas it starts right up. It's not spitting and farting like an E-85 car on a cold morning. I am running 25% methanol. It's still 75% gasoline and I doubt that would ever cause a starting issue.

PS: I ain't touching those plugs. Some say it is not that bad, but I find it to be extremely difficult. I know there are some tricks to doing this but I have not learned them yet.
25% shouldn't effect it much so may not be that.
We were getting long start times on e85 sometimes when it was cold, not idling rough, starting. Took adding in more fuel on start up then it was fine.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #531
So, lets talk about where this stock Demon record is going. I think there is likely a 9.44 or 9.45 in my car based on the 9.503 run incrementals. But the car had plenty of hiccups on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I kind of expected this based on what was happening at Irwindale when the DA was lower. So, take an extreme example with the stock calibrations in the PCM/TCM. What if you could get the car weight down to 800 pounds race ready. It would over rev severly every time with 840-900 HP. You know this and I know this. So I am pretty sure we are at a crosroads for the stock tune Demon Record. In fact I ended up resetting the PCM and TCM adaptives with the HpTuners Scanner program. It likely would not have made good passes in -1000 DA without doing this. I am not 100% sure because I reset them twice and the immediate result was not consistent. So I cannot say with certanty if it helped or not. Also on Sunday the DA was +600 to +1100 feet on all my runs. On that day there was not one hiccup. It did run 9.52 at +1100 feet. Also proud of that.

There is ONE more thing I want to try. So, I am hanging around for Brian Masons private track rental at HRP. He moved it up one day to this Friday because of the weather. And I think the conditions might be favorable. Maybe very similar to the conditions where my first Demon did it's PB of 9.550. So this ONE thing is to change the relationship between the Engine RPM and accleleration rate and the actual road speed of the car. A TALLER TIRE! The car will move faster and farther down the track and the motor will accelerate slower. So, maybe in some really good DA, I will be able to leave the adaptives alone and let the car run!

I have the lightest setup as far as a 29.5" tall tire. Hoosier 10.5" DBR 3/4 worn on a 17X10 Win Lite. I am going to get there early and swap them out. Maybe we will get the 60 foot comparisin @Speedy! I should be able to make lots of passes and I will give it my best........

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
I like this idea Ron, see you Friday.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Ron,
I think this is a good idea. It would seem that pretty much anything that'll slow the rate of increase in engine rpm would be a benefit.
As light as your car is would it be worth trying a 2nd gear launch? I don't know if it would pull it but it might be worth wasting one pass to find out.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #534
Ron,
I think this is a good idea. It would seem that pretty much anything that'll slow the rate of increase in engine rpm would be a benefit.
As light as your car is would it be worth trying a 2nd gear launch? I don't know if it would pull it but it might be worth wasting one pass to find out.
Stock Demons cannot start in Second Gear :( I don't think it would pull it, but you never know.

OP
D

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Thread Starter #535
OK, Brian Mason's event went off. Some sprinkles and then about 15 minutes of rain but it eventually stopped and they dried the track and we got going. The track personel are some really great Guys. They did a great Job.

I like these taller tires. I think they showed potential in possibly going a little quicker if the conditions were better. I ran a 9.48 and the conditions were not all that great. It was the second pass. They used me as the initial tester. No body wanted to run first because of the rain, so I sent it. No time slip of course. So, fully warmed up and I did not have to wait too long but I could not loop right around into the bleach box either. Would not have mattered much because the power chiller was not enabled. This car is stingy with the chiller and it's so frustrating. There is very likely .02 in the sixty and more than that in the final numbers. But 9.48 without it @ 142. Dang, I'll take that. Last weekend the 9.46, 47 and 48 ALL had the power chiller on. So I likely would have matched the PB in worse DA. But I had to abort a couple runs because of the Hoosier Death Wobble. This set is the worst. The first runs did not do it. It defies logic. This set even did it a lot at Irwindale and that is rare to do it in the 1/8th. Anyhow, ran 142 a few times today without the chiller. In fact it never got warm enough for it to come on. 9.48 MASON.png 9.51 MASON.png

Member ID
Reactions
City
Saint Paul
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Dodge SRT Demon
Did any rear diff housings let go this year at
Legion?