Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

4.5L Whipple 'Murder Cat'

OP
MurderCat

MurderCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whipple Hellcat (Sold) 22 GMC 2500HD Denali
Thread Starter #61
That is a clean ice tank setup.

Here's a cool video of the FI chiller in action out of car. Went with Killer Chiller, will be interesting to see how they compare. From other posts KC looks to be working just as well.
Insulation is a must to prevent dripping on the track.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Dripping at the track?
I'll never forget the yelling and screaming when Cole emptied his ice box in the pits when everyone was working under Sumit's car to get a driveshaft swapped out and ended up taking a bath in ice water.
hahaha
What a great time. We all got a little dirty and a little wet. Worth it.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
9.50 is very fast. Our definitions are very different for sure. Time slips are not the only estimation of how fast a car is. Actually a time slip is a very one sided definition of speed. It has no bearing in real world scenarios. 1/4 mile is fun, but the launch is what makes the 1/4 mile special.

on the street, you would be gapped. Plain and simple. Your Stock blower car would need a nice nitrous shot to keep up on the street.

I don’t drag race very much, I street drive and run half miles.

I can assure you that a stock blower car will never mile an hour like a whipple car, that’s a fact. I never followed your build when I did my setup. But that’s not because it was bad or anything. Just didn’t read on it to much.

if I wanted to chase a 1/4 mile time I would still be at it every weekend trying to go faster. But that’s not what I care about. A stock blower car just runs out of steam on the top end. And they are a heat magnet on small pulleys. The whipple builds heat as well, no question. Chillers And ice tanks are needed to help.

for street setups, the whipple is an awesome setup. Just needs to be tuned correctly. And definitely worth adding a chiller to the car.

I can literally leave my street tune on my car, change to drag wheels and go run a 9.50 at the track and change wheels and go home. Stock blower car cannot do that without running swapping different pulleys, nitrous, tunes etc.

difference of opinions man. Your definition is different than others. You can’t claim facts one way or the other. The whipple is a tough blower to tune, the throttle body is brutal, because when it opens it just goes and usually blows the tires off. Making launching extremely difficult. but to say that you go back to stock is because the whipple is bad is not accurate. There’s other things not being done right that are not making you go faster.
I know of a street car that drives to the track and only swaps the wheels and tires and is capable of 9.5's on pump gas no other changes and is running the IHI ....

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
Dripping at the track?
I'll never forget the yelling and screaming when Cole emptied his ice box in the pits when everyone was working under Sumit's car to get a driveshaft swapped out and ended up taking a bath in ice water.
hahaha
What a great time. We all got a little dirty and a little wet. Worth it.
LOL, yep, gotta watch it when the tank is dumped.

I think it would be real beneficial if the racers here using the Killer Chiller system with provide the IAT's in there data logs. My IATs on the stock system would hit over 150 F on hot days at the track and the PCM would start to pull timing. Installed an ice tank now IAT's are usually in the 80's unless I forget to turn the pump on (which has happened).

Overspinning the blower produces a lot of heat, I can melt a 10 pound bag of ice after 1 pass, no joke.

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I know of a street car that drives to the track and only swaps the wheels and tires and is capable of 9.5's on pump gas no other changes and is running the IHI ....

Your like that special exception lmao!

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
LOL, yep, gotta watch it when the tank is dumped.

I think it would be real beneficial if the racers here using the Killer Chiller system with provide the IAT's in there data logs. My IATs on the stock system would hit over 150 F on hot days at the track and the PCM would start to pull timing. Installed an ice tank now IAT's are usually in the 80's unless I forget to turn the pump on (which has happened).

Overspinning the blower produces a lot of heat, I can melt a 10 pound bag of ice after 1 pass, no joke.
IATs are low. Hitting the burnout box with a ic coolant temp in the 30’s to 40’s

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Your like that special exception lmao!
I have to kinda agree with all sides and disagree too . This is my personal opinion so take it for what it's worth .

The whipple is a great supercharger but I feel it's too big for a 6.2 on the street . ( the 4.5L)That is a hell of a lot of air volume on that size engine unless you spin it to the moon . In my opinion that's why they make so much heat .... All that air with no where to go . In my opinion it makes a great supercharger for a big inch race motor.

The IHI is a great supercharger if used with in its efficiency range . Once you spin the bejesus out of it it just makes heat and very little extra air volume .

I think a 3.0L supercharger ( of any brand) is a great supercharger for a 6.2L engine . A happy medium if you will .

I have very little issues with crazy heat in my car that has no chiller or ice box . But then again my car is a street car and wouldn't take advantage of those things most of the times .

I'm not taking away from any of you guys with different supercharger . I just wanted to share my opinion.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
IATs are low. Hitting the burnout box with a ic coolant temp in the 30’s to 40’s
what about at the end of the run? How high do they go?

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
110 on my ported IHI.

Latest run didn’t get over 100 on the Maggie.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I’ll play. 🤓. I have both and here’s why.... ice works great at the track. But there are some good reasons to have a chiller too. The chiller keeps a loaded ice tank cold for a lot longer. If I have to hot lap for some reason, I can get two full passes with a cold tank. If I get stuck in staging for a hour due to monkeys on the track (it happens) I will still have ice water in my tank because idling during the slow go in line will keep the ice from disappearing. And for street driven cars..... ice does nothing. The chillers keep the IC temps much lower than the hot water you will be using without one on the street. I expect to see IC temps at 42 degrees in staging with a fresh load of ice. Without ice the lowest I’ve seen the chiller take it is 53 degrees but that’s after a prolonged idle. Peak logged IAT during a 1/4 mile run is 109 degrees with IC temps in the mid to high 50’s on the return road afterwards. As I said in my previous post.., I chose to change to the side mount tank in the trunk because that shape allows me to run my coolant at 2 gallons on the street without uncovering the pump inlet like it will on the flat center mount tank. As far as that tank location goes..... when full, the thing weighs approx 50 lbs. I’d rather have that in the rear for ballast and plus it isn’t exposed to the under hood temps that the front mounts are. Now all this being said..... I’m running a big old 4.5 Whipple and how those heat up is going to be different compared to one of the cooler running Maggie’s.

Last edited:
OP
MurderCat

MurderCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #71
Without a doubt the 4.5L runs hotter than the OEM IHI or Magnuson, that's a major downfall but is what it is to trade for power. I'll include some data logs of IAT's once the Killer chiller race drag kit is installed.

Keeping an eye on Whipples new Gen V 3.8L. The 3.0 made 1,712 horsepower and 1,198 lb-ft of torque on the engine dyno with a 426/thitek heads etc. sounds like a damn pro-mod!

https://www.facebook.com/geoff.turk/videos/pcb.3913652315317197/3913651508650611/?type=3&theater
https://www.dragzine.com/news/geoff...QsFMJ1Qx5P_p4Yf7dRcYH3_nDx8K-ge7ypUNdDPERUCHE

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
0B059F56-DF2F-46DB-A1A9-F32BD6C60ED3.jpeg Just some fun facts on the ice vs chiller war. I hate ice! Think about this..... if that 7 gallon tank of ice weighs 50 lbs and you make ten runs.... that’s 500 lbs of ice 😳. You ever buy 500 lbs of ice? You ever carry around 500 lbs of ice? (See picture). Do you know how much that costs at the quick mart across from the track? I hate fkn ice 😡

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Without a doubt the 4.5L runs hotter than the OEM IHI or Magnuson, that's a major downfall but is what it is to trade for power. I'll include some data logs of IAT's once the Killer chiller race drag kit is installed.

Keeping an eye on Whipples new Gen V 3.8L. The 3.0 made 1,712 horsepower and 1,198 lb-ft of torque on the engine dyno with a 426/thitek heads etc. sounds like a damn pro-mod!

https://www.facebook.com/geoff.turk/videos/pcb.3913652315317197/3913651508650611/?type=3&theater
https://www.dragzine.com/news/geoff...QsFMJ1Qx5P_p4Yf7dRcYH3_nDx8K-ge7ypUNdDPERUCHE

Yeah, it made that spinning to 8,700 RPM, good for many rebuilds during the season. BTW most pro mods make well over 3,000 HP, Vixen makes over 5,000 HP

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
View attachment 25163 Just some fun facts on the ice vs chiller war. I hate ice! Think about this..... if that 7 gallon tank of ice weighs 50 lbs and you make ten runs.... that’s 500 lbs of ice 😳. You ever buy 500 lbs of ice? You ever carry around 500 lbs of ice? (See picture). Do you know how much that costs at the quick mart across from the track? I hate fkn ice 😡
Marc,

Hmm, I drain my tank to about 1/3 and add 20 pounds of ice when I get to the track, then add 10 pounds after every pass, this equates to 10 to 16 bags of ice, cost about $ 20 to $ 30, no big deal, IMO

OP
MurderCat

MurderCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #75
Yeah, it made that spinning to 8,700 RPM, good for many rebuilds during the season. BTW most pro mods make well over 3,000 HP, Vixen makes over 5,000 HP
It sounded like one that's all. Ripatuned/Curt @ Dusterhoff tuning just put together a new shop car with their heads/cam/drop-in rods piston package. Spinning to 7400 rpm with plans for 7800-8k. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=952556701920012&extid=EucMIjhLfbTK2JVV

Whatever makes the car reliable longterm will be what i choose when building the motor/heads. High revving engines are always sweet but the cost of reliability isn't worth it for the end goal. If you're racing for money every season that's another story.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Marc,

Hmm, I drain my tank to about 1/3 and add 20 pounds of ice when I get to the track, then add 10 pounds after every pass, this equates to 10 to 16 bags of ice, cost about $ 20 to $ 30, no big deal, IMO
Wow. Where were you buying your ice? We paid $5 per 20 lb bag. I thought that Indian guy at the 7-11 was screwing us 😂. We bought 28 of those over the two days so.... $140. I still hate ice.

Last edited:

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Wow. Where were you buying your ice? We paid $5 per 20 lb bag. I thought that Indian guy at the 7-11 was screwing us 😂. We bought 28 of those over the two days so.... $140. I still hate ice.
Walmart, $ 1.87, in addition, there is a ice house that sells 40 pound bags for $ 7.00. I have really good coolers, keep ice for a long time, I try not to buy ice at the track.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Walmart, $ 1.87, in addition, there is a ice house that sells 40 pound bags for $ 7.00. I have really good coolers, keep ice for a long time, I try not to buy ice at the track.
At those prices you can spot me a few cubes to keep my drink cold.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

Haha. That is one upside your having all that ice in the coolers. No shortage of cool beverages!

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle

Yep, I usually have 2 or 3 110/120 quart coolers at the track for drinks and ice.