Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What Brand of Gas

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
One bit of info for you guys. I did some environmental work at a gasoline storage facility for Exxon/Mobil. I asked some engineers on site what the difference was between the fuels. They told me both were the same. Almost all the Exxon’s in Massachusetts are gone. I know of two anyway. Our gestapo attorney general in Mass said they had a monopoly so they got rid of the Exxon’s and made them Mobil’s?? Not sure how that changed things? You can’t justify stupidity and there is plenty of that going around.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 6.27.59 AM.png

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Here is the Top Tier list. Some surprises here. Walmart gas doesn’t make the cut. Who knew Chevron, Amoco and Sinclair we’re still in business. All have disappeared from New England. Texaco and Arco are also strangely gone. They used to be everywhere.
https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
I used to get Chevron, all but 1 of their stations closed here.
The 1 left is not real convenient, their price always seemed high + it got annoying that the attendants seemed too lazy to keep the receipt paper in the pumps full.

There were Amoco's and 1 Sinclair here, but they have all closed or become some other brand.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
One bit of info for you guys. I did some environmental work at a gasoline storage facility for Exxon/Mobil. I asked some engineers on site what the difference was between the fuels. They told me both were the same. Almost all the Exxon’s in Massachusetts are gone. I know of two anyway. Our gestapo attorney general in Mass said they had a monopoly so they got rid of the Exxon’s and made them Mobil’s?? Not sure how that changed things? You can’t justify stupidity and there is plenty of that going around.
My understanding is its all the same...Each have their own additive they add at the tanks...Chevron = Techron, Shell = NITRO, etc.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
My understanding is its all the same...Each have their own additive they add at the at the tanks...Chevron = Techron, Shell = NITRO, etc.
Is there a possibility that some additives are not good for the motors? I thought I heard something bad about Shell gas because of their additives?

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
My understanding is its all the same...Each have their own additive they add at the tanks...Chevron = Techron, Shell = NITRO, etc.
You are correct. Each company has their own additive package they add to the delivery truck tanks upon filling. The top tier companies go above and beyond and add more. The other guys use the EPA minimums. I don’t think Shell has anything negative? It’s on the top tier list. That is pretty well researched. I’m not saying other brands are no good but wouldn’t you prefer something with some research behind it? Short term results are different than long term. Most fuel additives used by the top tier companies will show their worth over time.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
AFAIK, PEA (polyetheramine) is the only meaningful additive that top tier companies utilize. They have to meet a minimum level of it to be top tier.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
We had those pumps at the local Sunoco when I was a kid and they were awesome.
When I first moved to California in '84, Union 76 had pumps that still had a higher than 93 that you could select. I don't remember what it was....maybe 96 or 97 octane.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Anyone remember early to mid 80’s mixing a little leaded regular with unleaded premium? The lead actually boosted the octane. It really helped my high compression muscle cars. Strange they got rid of lead in premium first? You would figure the other way around as most bought leaded regular.

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Here is the Top Tier list. Some surprises here. Walmart gas doesn’t make the cut. Who knew Chevron, Amoco and Sinclair we’re still in business. All have disappeared from New England. Texaco and Arco are also strangely gone. They used to be everywhere.
All those brands still exist...out west. Amoco has been under the BP brand for a bit. Texaco merged with Chevron.

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
Anybody remember the scuttlebutt with Exxon in the late 80's? (Not the Alaskan ship wreck).

They decided to get out of the shop business and required all thier service stations to swap the shop with snacks and become convenience stores with Exxon gas. Failure to comply allowed Exxon to withhold fuel, thus voiding your status as an Exxon dealer. I remember lots of longtime Exxon stations that relied on the shop aspect especially in smaller rural communities, so many bailed and switched to another brand or became an independent in order to keep the garage going.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
We used to have all the major brands right on the main drag through my part of town. The only major left now is the Exxon station, and yes...it became one with the mini-mart years ago.
There aren't many Exxons, Shell, Sunoco, Getty, Citgo left in the surrounding areas at all. When BP and Amoco merged, that reduced the number of their stations....and I used to really like Amoco gas.
Most of the convenience store chains in my area sell gas, so I think that has taken it's toll overall. Not sure where they get it, but they are putting up new stores all over the place and between them and Costco, it's hard to beat their prices.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Anybody remember the scuttlebutt with Exxon in the late 80's? (Not the Alaskan ship wreck).

They decided to get out of the shop business and required all thier service stations to swap the shop with snacks and become convenience stores with Exxon gas. Failure to comply allowed Exxon to withhold fuel, thus voiding your status as an Exxon dealer. I remember lots of longtime Exxon stations that relied on the shop aspect especially in smaller rural communities, so many bailed and switched to another brand or became an independent in order to keep the garage going.
Remember when all of those Arco stations in Calif put in the mini-mart and became AM/PM?

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
Remember when all of those Arco stations in Calif put in the mini-mart and became AM/PM?
Yep and still in business. One is right next door to my breakfast place, the Black Bear Diner in Sparks.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Old Buckeyes will remember SOHIO gas. Known as Boron in other states.
1595559389051.jpeg
Standard Oil of Ohio.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

Yes I remember that, around here it was Mobil that turned to mini marts. Strangely enough I have two friends that own Mobil now and they are repair shops still.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
All those brands still exist...out west. Amoco has been under the BP brand for a bit. Texaco merged with Chevron.
Good to know. I like old time stuff including names. With the new greenie agenda they all could soon be gone.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Quick Check around here, which doesn't appear on that “Top Tier’ list. Although Ive never had a prob Ill just go down the street to either Mobil or Exxon.

sad

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartlesville
State
OK
Country
United States
Chevron still in business? Certainly you're referring to having Chevron fuel stations... and not "in business" in general???