Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

UConnect GPS Location Way Off (and Clock)

Member ID
Reactions
City
Austin
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Hellcat
Hello,

As I was trying to assess why my UConnect clock was off, I discovered that the Nav/GPS location was messed up in my car. Here is what I have found:
- The car thinks I am roughly 27 miles from my real location. Mostly north, and slightly east of my actual location.
- I used the "Current Position" page (inside the navigation screen) to tell me the GPS coordinates that the car think's I am at. I then looked up the GPS coordinates of my current location using Google Maps. The difference was about +.319 degrees latitude and +.096 degrees longitude from reality.
- I confirmed that the map location that the car was showing me was equivalent to it's faulty GPS coordinates. So it does know how to link those still.
- I confirmed that as I drove down my street, the Current Position data was updating/changing. It was not frozen.

I took a picture of the Current Position screen (attached). I do not know what it should look like on a fully working UConnect system. But it appears the only data it could show me were the bad coordinates.

current_position.jpg

Are the 12 vertical bars supposed to be a "strength of signal" indicator?
What is supposed to be showing in the compass area?
What is "Available: 0"?
Reliability is NONE - Yeah, I got that :p

And back to the clock - it was 8-9 minutes fast, and was set to 'Auto Set' via the GPS feature. I can workaround this just by going with manual settings for now, which I did.

Is there a way to reset/reboot the system?

Thanks!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
The good news: Uconnect, and more importantly, the authorities, won't know exactly where you are.
Also, you'll be early for your appointments.

The bad news: I don't have a clue how you would fix that. I wouldn't want to.

OP
JamesU
Member ID
Reactions
City
Austin
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
I have searched online, and I see things like this happening in a lot of FCA vehicles, but no one seems to have posted a solid fix, other than "take it to the dealer" and "dealer replaced/updated the UConnect system." I have verified I am running the latest UConnect software, at least with respect to the UConnect website's info (the one where you put your VIN in to check).

I'll keep looking around in the mean time. Maybe a forum member who has a functional/accurate Nav system can take a similar picture of their "Current Position" screen so I can see how much of mine is not working.

Thanks

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Yeah, I've seen threads about that issue on Ram and Jeep sites, too. But since I wasn't paying attention, I couldn't tell you what the outcomes were.

To me, your excellent access doors are far more valuable than the factory navigation system.
Frankly, I don't know if the one in my 'Cat even works. Never did try it.

Lilschmied

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nowhereville
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Looks like you have a bad gps antenna or connection. You have 0 available satellites, for a decent 3d gps lock you want 4+.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Hello,

As I was trying to assess why my UConnect clock was off, I discovered that the Nav/GPS location was messed up in my car. Here is what I have found:
- The car thinks I am roughly 27 miles from my real location. Mostly north, and slightly east of my actual location.
- I used the "Current Position" page (inside the navigation screen) to tell me the GPS coordinates that the car think's I am at. I then looked up the GPS coordinates of my current location using Google Maps. The difference was about +.319 degrees latitude and +.096 degrees longitude from reality.
- I confirmed that the map location that the car was showing me was equivalent to it's faulty GPS coordinates. So it does know how to link those still.
- I confirmed that as I drove down my street, the Current Position data was updating/changing. It was not frozen.

I took a picture of the Current Position screen (attached). I do not know what it should look like on a fully working UConnect system. But it appears the only data it could show me were the bad coordinates.

View attachment 19353

And back to the clock - it was 8-9 minutes fast, and was set to 'Auto Set' via the GPS feature. I can workaround this just by going with manual settings for now, which I did.

Thanks!

I noticed the clock was off the other day and didn't mess with it, nor check into the position.

I'm not sure I have that same screen or not, now I'm going to go look, just to see what/if, etc. I'll post up what I find if it's worthwhile.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
My clock has Christine'd itself and the GPS is working normally (I don't know that it was ever out of whack in the first place, other than the clock issue that is (was) similar to yours)

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Hello,

View attachment 19353

Thanks!
I might be able to answer a few of these:

Yes......the verticle bars are an indicator. They indicate how many satellites you are receiving a signal from. In your case there looks to be 0. This is confirmed by where it says "available: 0"

The compass should be showing you which direction you are facing. There used to be, and there still might be, a way to do a manual compass calibration. It used to involve going to a big parking lot and driving in a circle for a specified amount of time or turns (sorry, I don't remember all the details). The directions used to be in the owners manual or you can probably find them online. Based on what I found for a 2017 Charger, the compass settings procedure begins on page 245.

It's weird that you're not even showing at least 1 or 2 satellites received (you need 3 minimum for the triangulation). It's typical to have 3 or 4 be really strong, and have a few more with weaker signals.

There may be info in some of the Charger forums on getting this to reset by pulling the right fuse and then putting it back forcing it into a reboot scenario.

There is a way to force a factory reset by manipulating some of the steering wheel buttons. I believe there are YouTube videos of those online.

Good luck

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Different screen configuration due to different MY ('16)

Attachments

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I was sitting in my garage, so that's why I wiped the GPS coordinates, I don't want any of you stalkers coming after me...

:eek:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Different screen configuration due to different MY ('16)
Good pic for the visual. That's what I would expect to see for a typical GPS signal display.

You're a good man Charlie Brown :LOL:

OP
JamesU
Member ID
Reactions
City
Austin
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #12
I considered doing that myself in my image, but I bravely left the coordinates showing because it was nowhere near my location! :D

It is still puzzling because I do believe it is seeing satelites - the coordinates change as I drive. It just seems like the software is really confused.

Tsubahog

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fl
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Yesterday around the time OP posted (I am on EST), I was driving my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the screen showed the Jeep logo and Then went black for about 40 seconds - no sound either. Then the Jeep logo appeared and all back to normal. Like it rebooted itself

UConnect maintenance? Sunspot? Russian lurkers?????

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I was sitting in my garage, so that's why I wiped the GPS coordinates, I don't want any of you stalkers coming after me...

:eek:
That's ok....we found a map!

goonies.jpg

Member ID
Reactions
City
Tampa
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
About a year ago, I had a similar problem with my 2015 Challenger. Like you, I verified I had the latest software and that I had the TSB update for 2015-2016 MYs loaded. Eventually got in contact with Uconnect customer service and they appeared to be aware of the issue(s) but weren't forthcoming with the cause. But what they did do was walk through the repair flow chart with me on the phone while they remotely reset/repaired/updated the Uconnect connection with my car. I sat in the car in my driveway while they talked me through the turn on/turn off/ throw chicken bones routine. After about 20 minutes, the clock resynced and the GPS accuracy was restored.

Never told me what the issue was but they fixed the problem. A call to Uconnect customer service might help.....

Good luck,
Earl

Last edited:

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
I had the same issue with my 2019 Ram Longhorn with 12" screen. The screen would also go black every 4th or 5th drive but the radio would still play. The truck was great but it kept updating the system, like monthly, and it never worked right. I traded it in as pickups are commanding strong $$ right now. Got a 2020 Rubicon Recon and the Nav is working fine. Never had an issue with the dozen other FCA vehicles I've owned.

My Redeye has the "Poverty Pack" so I use my I-Phone and Waze or Google Maps. It displays and speaks through the system, works great.

Hope it gets resolved for you as it is really a distraction. Sending positive juju your way!

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Uconnect update 18.45.01 specifically addresses clock and GPS error issues.

Visit the DriveUconnect website and enter your VIN. If it says your car is up to date, search this forum. IIRC, there is a download link available.

Be advised, this update is not without its bugs... There are threads in this, too.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Bob

OP
JamesU
Member ID
Reactions
City
Austin
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #18
Following up on this thread. I contacted UConnect Customer Service. They first confirmed my software was current. And this aligned with the UConnect website which also told me my software was current. After that, they sent me some interesting recalibration instructions. These DID NOT fix my issue, but I am putting them here anyway because maybe someday they can help someone else:

--- From UConnect Support ---
As discussed, if the vehicle is showing to be off course, going in the wrong direction or in the wrong town/city, a recalibration can be attempted.
· Set up a route on the Navigation system, and along that route pull in to a parking lot.
· Stop the vehicle, and drive the vehicle in 5 tight circles counter clockwise not exceeding 15 MPH.
· Park the vehicle and go shopping, whatever you might need to do. OR stop the vehicle, turn it off and open the driver’s door for a minimum of 2 minutes
· Check to see if the concern is resolved.
--- End ---

As I said, this did not fix my issue, but maybe it can fix other GPS-related issues for others. I'll be asking the dealership to look at this issue when I go in for the V86 recall, once that is confirmed good to go.

Thanks

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
What UConnect version are you running?

Bob

OP
JamesU
Member ID
Reactions
City
Austin
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #20
I realize this version is older than what some are saying, but UConnect says it is the latest one for my 2017 Charger Hellcat.

Thanks

20200709_164721.jpg 20200709_164733.jpg