Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Thermostat delete

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Your fans need to be reset.
Well I don’t think I’m harming anything by not adjusting the fans, it’s just not optimized like it could be. When I’m in track mode at the strip and the chiller is running and I have the cooling fans turned on it does run right at 185 ;)

I think it’s pretty cool that these cars can do that stock. I remember pulling a fuse and bridging the connection with a hot wire to force the fans on with my 300 SRT8 back in 2007 to cool it down between runs. Also had to ice pack the aluminum intake runners.

This redeye you just put it in track mode and it kicks ass. One time I made 7 passes in a row, in like 15-20 minutes. Every temperature on the car held steady and was still in the optimal operating range. My friend in his Z06 only got 4 or 5 passes before it got too hot.

Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Just a couple thoughts, I do run a 180-185 or whatever without a tune, it does keep the car cooler at almost all times, but will still spike to 220 water temps in traffic idling and such and can take a bit to drop back down to around 200 until you are moving and get some air flow.

Also all 180s do not behave the same. This spring I ran a Mishimoto, and that one did open in the upper 170s and then settled to around 179-180. The Jet 10183 which is believe is also the same as the Motorad 4128 will not open until 185-188, then will hope about 185 until you are in traffic and such. The Mishimoto gave me a code right away. I do not get a code with the Jet/Motorad on the stock tune. That abut extra 10 degrees before initial open seems to make enough of a difference.

One last thought, I usually swap the stock 203 back in for the winter season, and my car runs at almost the same coolant temps in the winter with the 203 as it does in the summer with the 185
Oh!!! Now my old mind remembers! That is why I remember changing the old car (daily driver) many times! There is winter. I was damn quick last night with the Hellcat, it is very easy to wrench on compared with a 6.1L in the thermostat area anyway. That sucker will never need to see winter.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Perhaps now would be a good time to discuss favorite oils??

I'm kidding, I'm kidding...:unsure:

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
Any thoughts about removing the 220 degree thermostat all together? My thoughts are that here in Florida we never get cold enough temperatures that warrants it.
This is how I felt after reading this...

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
The GTO had a tech setting for the cluster that fed you the actual readings, not the idiot light range stuff. After tune, SC, etc... she ran 180 to 185 all the time. Only w rare excursions from there range.

Last edited:

Adrenaline Rush

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Windham
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
22 Charger Hellcat Redeye
Interesting debate.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Maybe, since the humidity tends to be quite high in Florida, both the thermostat and coolant can be eliminated.

After all, the ambient temperature there isn't all that much lower than what the engine was designed to run at.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I have never seen 200 with mine. My 180 runs at 185 and when it gets to 195 it opens and goes back down
Mind acts this same way, maybe it’s the tuner not the Tstat??🤔

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Mind acts this same way, maybe it’s the tuner not the Tstat??🤔
This thermostat did the same thing on my Daytona, different tuner

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
This thermostat did the same thing on my Daytona, different tuner
I was kidding lol

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Youz critters that live, ride, drive in youz cars above Nashville. Just take you'll T- stat and chillers throw them in the bank account you gave your cash to. But, in Florida we wood like to spend our extra cash on the gals that sport around in white muscle shirts with no bra zill ian strappers on. A little augmintation may be advised fer valentinos day. Do your self and car a flavor and look into a 134A factory cooled aluminized raditeator with properly sized HX, fittings, hoses, resivoir, and tune kit. This will increase HP, cooling abilities, on and off switch for track or street. Just ask the Chu Mon fer sizing. Too large could mean damage as like nun at all. Being a chiller mechanic for 30 years didn't hurt. As far as that is concerned,,, look at a VFD roatery driven screwed compressors. Very low maintenance and run time.