Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

street drag radials

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Drove in a downpour with the MT Street ET R's once. Once was enough, I'll just pull over and sleep in the car next time.

TorRedHellgato

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
New York
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Dodge Charger Hellcat

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Lovely engine covers ;)
Yup! Got them from a local guy...They have served me well.

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I have been running the MT ET Street SS's for the last year. Granted, I don't drive in the rain, but I have been caught in a small shower. It drove decent. You just have to be careful. Last weekend I took it for a drive in the Mountains. It handled pretty well with them on. I didn't go as fast as I would have with regular summer tires on it, but I was hitting the wider curves in the 50mph range on the dragon's tail. I backed down a little on the tighter ones. I was surprised at how well they did.

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Redeye Widebody Jailbreak
Out of curiosity, does a street drag radial give you worse off handling for turning/cornering? Like worse off than an all season tire?
Drag radials have more pliable sidewalls so they can twist under torque for extra traction. In street cornering terms, they are a weak tire. Under most normal conditions, you don't really push a car to its lateral G limit on the street, so you might not notice the tire's inability to hold a proper corner until you reach whatever the tire's limit is. When you do, unlike a more rigid sidewalled handling tire, the DR will slip out without too much warning, and will do so more violently. With radials (or racing slicks... aka Goodyear Eagles), you get a much more predictable tire that generally won't instantly slip out without plenty of squealing beforehand.

Drag radials are designed to put torque to pavement. They aren't designed to handle lateral loads. They all vary per manufacturer, and some will have better turning capabilities than others, but none of them are designed for sustained daily driving in anything but relatively straight lines and dry surfaces (dry, smooth surfaces... on irregular paved surfaces, they can get pretty bad there as well).

droptopp

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Run an R888R if you want traction and ability to corner.

Drag radials also “float” or “track” on the street, conditions like tractor trailer grooves. That’s way more annoying than not being able to turn lol.

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Run an R888R if you want traction and ability to corner.

Drag radials also “float” or “track” on the street, conditions like tractor trailer grooves. That’s way more annoying than not being able to turn lol.
Yep, but pretty much anything north of 300mm wide is going to do the same thing, radial or otherwise. All seasons are a little more forgiving.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
The Nittos are a better handling drag radial than either of the Mickey Thompsons, you can feel their ability to handle a lateral load better and they float less, but the Mickeys hook so much better. I actually like how the ET Street R feels over the ET Street S/S, and that's a 305/45r18 over a 275/40r20 too. I like the ET Street R and think they feel really good. The Nitto 555R is pretty close to just a high-performance summer tire IMO in that they spin too easy but are good when they are heated up, I have not tried the 2nd gen Nitto 555R yet. When the Michelin P4s's wear off the stock rear 20" wheels I think that is what will go on those next.

Last edited:

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Out of curiosity, does a street drag radial give you worse off handling for turning/cornering? Like worse off than an all season tire?
Nope, not here.

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
If your drag radial corners well, it isn't a very good drag radial.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
If you have a 15" tire then it may. On a 20" you are not going to see much of any difference on the street being there isn't enough side wall. As a matter a fact, what you give up in the side wall not being as stiff you will gain in grip. I feel my car turns better with a drag radial then it does with a standard radial in the same size. Plus it will grip better in a straight line so win win

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
daily diving with the OEM Nexens and dont notice much of a difference in cornering with them in the rear. Theys sure do hook better though on launch.

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Think he was referring to the fact that he doesn't worry about driving in the rain (lives in Az).

swatdocsc

Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jefferson City
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
10,R/T12YJKT,15SPS,16 HC,19RE,22 S/S
I have tried the Nitto's 555r's MT's 2 flavors and settled on the toyo r888r for street use as it has a good compromise for street tire not perfect for a drag radial but much better than the tires that came with our cars, and they have the 186+ y rating so they drive pretty good.

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
If you have a 15" tire then it may. On a 20" you are not going to see much of any difference on the street being there isn't enough side wall. As a matter a fact, what you give up in the side wall not being as stiff you will gain in grip. I feel my car turns better with a drag radial then it does with a standard radial in the same size. Plus it will grip better in a straight line so win win
Well, soft sidewalled drag radials "may" be able to hold in a turn. The problem with them is that there is a very fine line between in traction and doing a 180 in the middle of the turn. When drag radials slip out under lateral Gs, they tend to slip all the way out with little warning. A proper cornering tire will bite, which you can feel, then you can feel it getting progressively looser with added tire screech before it loses traction. Drag radials need that ultra squishy sidewall to wrinkle under traction to put torque to pavement. Their sidewalls aren't designed to flex side to side so well (one of the reasons folks use beadlocks on slicks). DRs aren't nearly as unforgiving as pure race slicks, but they are a hybrid of the two tire types.

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
fellers, how wide of a Nitto 555r can I run on OEM narrow body Hellcat wheels?

swatdocsc

Premium Account
U.S. Marine Veteran
Law Enforcement
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jefferson City
State
MO
Country
United States
Vehicle
10,R/T12YJKT,15SPS,16 HC,19RE,22 S/S
Well, soft sidewalled drag radials "may" be able to hold in a turn. The problem with them is that there is a very fine line between in traction and doing a 180 in the middle of the turn. When drag radials slip out under lateral Gs, they tend to slip all the way out with little warning. A proper cornering tire will bite, which you can feel, then you can feel it getting progressively looser with added tire screech before it loses traction. Drag radials need that ultra squishy sidewall to wrinkle under traction to put torque to pavement. Their sidewalls aren't designed to flex side to side so well (one of the reasons folks use beadlocks on slicks). DRs aren't nearly as unforgiving as pure race slicks, but they are a hybrid of the two tire types.
All true It's just what kind of compromise do you want to settle for? the one I chose has the softest compound available on the highest rated tire. so it's a flip.

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
fellers, how wide of a Nitto 555r can I run on OEM narrow body Hellcat wheels?
According to their website, you can go to a 285 or there is also a 305 option.
1618870407352.png

Alain

Member ID
Reactions
City
Haskell
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
According to their website, you can go to a 285 or there is also a 305 option.
View attachment 41930
Thank you for posting that chart. I was just headed to their website to see if they had something like this.

Does anyone know if someone has run something bigger than a 285 on the OEM narrow body wheel?
Any complaints ?

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thank you for posting that chart. I was just headed to their website to see if they had something like this.

Does anyone know if someone has run something bigger than a 285 on the OEM narrow body wheel?
Any complaints ?
I would say a large percentage of people run 305s on the stock wheel. They will also say they're great, no complaints.

But they're kind of math dumb, because the contact patch on the stock wheel maxes out between 275 and 285, so anything wider is 1) not going to ever touch the ground, and 2) cause the car to skate as the patch shifts under traction. So, while they may have no complaints, their butt dyno is lying to them. Most people post reviews on their tires in the first 1,000mi when the tires are still super sticky. Once the new tires break in, their performance should be slightly worse than the OEM tire size (again, skating and reduced down pressure coupled with just a tiny bit more added weight). Of course, you would get better performance with a Michelin PS4S 305 vs. a Pirrelli summer 275, but you'd also get quite a boost on a Michelin PS4S 275 over the Pirrelli. That's only because the part of the Michelin, Nitto, Conti, etc. is better than the Pirrelli. Still not using the whole 305 though, and you end up paying about $300 more for a set of 4 that you won't ever use fully.

To use a 305, you need an 11-11.5" wheel. An 11 is just slightly too small (295 usable traction patch). 11.5 is just right. And, for those who like to disagree, feel free to mount your 305s up, and send us a photo of a tape measure after you do a nice burn out and try and tell me that the contact patch is bigger than 275-285mm on a stock 10" wheel :)

Last edited: