Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Street Car or Race Car?

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
I recently was at my local Police station. While there a young officer started to talking to me about my Car.
Kate said, he was so dumb about cars. No, he was playing dumb, because he wanted to know if I was street legal. I carry the Big HHP Racing Red Letters across the windshield, my racing number on the side windows. Sure you want to see under the hood, as he pretending not knowing what a Hemi was.
I am all Street legal on the streets! He said that's cool, have a nice day!
Again, I like my Dual set-up!

Linda :)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I don't believe cages are legal for street driving?
I know in NY they will inspect a car with a cage..a few of my friends have em...never heard of them being ticketed...but who knows...

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
I recently was at my local Police station. While there a young officer started to talking to me about my Car.
Kate said, he was so dumb about cars. No, he was playing dumb, because he wanted to know if I was street legal. I carry the Big HHP Racing Red Letters across the windshield, my racing number on the side windows. Sure you want to see under the hood, as he pretending not knowing what a Hemi was.

My daughter who is a Police officer drives my hellcat to work mines slow no duel set up here

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
My daughter who is a Police officer drives my hellcat to work mines slow no duel set up here
No such thing as a slow HC:giggle::giggle:;)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I don't believe cages are legal for street driving?
In the urban parts of Buffalo...4 wheelers...dirt bikes...go carts..bicycles with motors...everything imaginable roam the streets un registered..and no lights @ nite..its dangerous...cops just look the other way...V&T is not a priority...

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

Don't you hate it when they're trying to play you? I'm your buddy until I find something that I can bust you for.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Don't you hate it when they're trying to play you? I'm your buddy until I find something that I can bust you for.
Those kind of people are everywhere, but I agree and I taught Kate another Lesson in life.
If my Hellcat was Race Ready, I may have been street legal, other than the Skinny's I don't think he would know the difference.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Those kind of people are everywhere, but I agree and I taught Kate another Lesson in life.
If my Hellcat was Race Ready, I may have been street legal, other than the Skinny's I don't think he would know the difference.
Skinnies are DOT approved. At least my sportsmen are.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
She's a police officer :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Skinnies are DOT approved. At least my sportsmen are.
My et street skinnies are dot approved as well (not just for comp like Hoosiers dbr).

Last edited:
OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #51
Having attended a drag and drive event I have to say that they're street cars. Even the 5 second ones.
While most aren't super comfortable, they still have many of the creature comforts such as cool suits, cup holders, sound systems and radio communications.
They run on pump gas and they put 37" tires on the back to improve gas mileage.
I disagree that those cars are street cars. They're purpose built and the fast ones require valves to be lashed after every few passes, etc. I mean what street car comes with a cooling suit and head gear for comms?

Than you have to say no to trucks that have one in a bed
Those might be included, but I think there's a precedence for a roll bar being OK (some convertibles and Porche have them) but not a cage that comes around the driver. That's where the safety issue would arise and I think what makes them illegal for road use.

I couldn't get standard insurance on my old car and all it had was a built motor and a supercharger. Nothing different from a GT500 at the time, but no one would write insurance for the "highly modified" car. I had to end up getting specialty insurance. Some people roll the dice and just don't tell their insurance company but then you have an incident and the claim is denied and you got big problems.

A cage in a car changes it's crumple characteristics during an impact. Not only is that not safe for occupants, it's not safe for people in other vehicles you might have an incident with. I'd not risk that for a street car personally regardless of how it might skirt a local state law. Someone gets hurt and there's a cage in the car and I think you're opening yourself up for a lot of liability.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
What’s up with all these questions Speedy first cats now this idk man 😉

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
Driving a fully caged car especially with a Funny Car driver cage "on the street" with no helmet and proper harness is a very dangerous proposition in the event of a serious "street" crash - can be worse than not having it at all.

Last edited:

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Like Linda, my car has its Race trim and its street trim. The parachute is easily removable and not detectable when off. pop my factory 20's on it and go to the car shows. full AC, heat, ventilated and heated seats. factory subwoofers. drives down the road like it did when it was stock.

Doublewide

Member ID
Reactions
City
Little Rock
State
AR
Country
United States
Street car to me is going to have ac/heat, has 2 or more seats, factory glass and body panels, has a Vin and is tagged and insured.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Street car to me is going to have ac/heat, has 2 or more seats, factory glass and body panels, has a Vin and is tagged and insured.
Not all cars have ac or heat.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
My take in Texas on the cage issue.

It is not, per se, illegal to run a cage in your car. So you can be street legal with it. But, you have to make sure of certain things, such as it does not unduly limit vision and the ability to turn your head and otherwise control / see around the vehicle (on another issue, it may have to be heavily padded to avoid being a hazard - seen people killed wo helmet in wreck with cage bar / head impact). It also cannot interfere with the factory air bag systems. Some jurisdictions may require certification from the builder regarding materials and construction (Joe Bob can't just weld it together in his back yard). Check your state and local rules and regs.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat

It is not, per se, illegal to run a cage in your car. So you can be street legal with it. But, you have to make sure of certain things, such as it does not unduly limit vision and the ability to turn your head and otherwise control / see around the vehicle (on another issue, it may have to be heavily padded to avoid being a hazard - seen people killed wo helmet in wreck with cage bar / head impact). It also cannot interfere with the factory air bag systems. Some jurisdictions may require certification from the builder regarding materials and construction (Joe Bob can't just weld it together in his back yard). Check your state and local rules and regs.
Only in commiefornia and neb jersey.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

Like any other mods, the cage cannot interfere with the other safety or control systems. If it does, it will be deemed as preventing the vehicle from being registered / tagged as a street vehicle.

EDIT: also be aware, there have been issues with insurance companies trying to deny coverage after accidents because of cages and such. The grounds for such denial vary, but don't be surprised if some companies say being unaware of the mod limits their liability. Check your policy or if you use an agent, I might ask about it.

Last edited:

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Progressive:

What makes a car street legal?

A street-legal car must comply with all federal and state vehicle laws, whether it just rolled off the factory floor or modified in any way. The requirements for street legal vehicles include federal and state laws and regulations. Certain safety, structural, functional, and emissions-related features — and combinations thereof —make a car street legal.
Like any other mods, the cage cannot interfere with the other safety or control systems. If it does, it will be deemed as preventing the vehicle from being registered / tagged as a street vehicle.

EDIT: also be aware, there have been issues with insurance companies trying to deny coverage after accidents because of cages and such. The grounds for such denial vary, but don't be surprised if some companies say being unaware of the mod limits their liability. Check your policy or if you use an agent, I might ask about it.
Any changes that may affect safety, that is introducing changes from the factory configuration that is DOT approved and crash tested, is an invitation for an insurance co. or mfr to deny responsibility. If they do, it is up to the lawyers, and it may cost you.

I just bought a new truck, low level trim, not the high level with the 4-way adjustable headrests. I asked the parts dept how much for an 4-way headrest? He said, I may not be allowed to sell it to you unless it is appropriate for your VIN. Your trim was crash tested with the 2-way headrest. Thankfully the on-line parts places don't care!