Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Street Car or Race Car?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Another angle (at least for me) as I age is, will the wife be comfortable on a long drive? Heat, A/C, reclining seats, no obnoxiously loud exhaust, no bars to climb over, etc. That's why I love the modern Hemi's and their split personalities that the tech provides....putz along at 85 at 1800 rpm with throttle barely cracked...and when you need it, it comes roaring to life. Perfect automotive engineering.
You stole my thunder...you nailed it..style... comfort...handling..tons of power...us old guys that remember the 70's...if we could see the future..these cars would be science fiction...

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
I enjoy the Duel set-up of my Hellcat. At this time I Daily Drive every single day to work.

I call this Street trim. Could I take it to the track like this absolutely and I have.

Race Trim, Pulley change, Race Gas and Bogarts on all 4 corners change of Tune and I'm racing 9's.

I soon will put my Hellcat in Race Trim, because I have to rely on help for that ( Cause RIP Top Cat ) once I start racing I leave it that way to make it easier for me. If I want to go to a T&T I can be ready pretty quick!

I have other vehicles I like to drive, so I'm good.

It's just a lot of Fun having some kind of "Title" Hey @Speedy! remember at one time I had the fastest "Pink Car" and it truly was. It was also the Hemi that pushed the platform before the Hellcat to the 8's. Sometime I will race my 8! Kate's Challenger is a 2nd one John bought me for Daily driving!
I wanted to get back to learning Drag racing and asked him to take it to HHP for the Procharger build.
Well, then the Hellcats came along! Dodge built us a Race car right off the assembly line and left a lot on table to modify and hit the 8's pretty Quick!

I think whatever it is that we enjoy doing with our Hellcats doesn't have to have a name, other Enjoying All The Fasssst Fun!

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
I vote for comfort over speed, I want to be able to go on 200mi trips with the wife without ear plugs. Racing is a hobby for me, but if I really wanted to go fast, I'd have a race car in the garage.

I am more a shooter than racer. My carry gun is unmodified, but my competition guns are pushed to the limit!

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
My thoughts are if you can’t drive it without overheating, your ears ringing, running out of gas in 100 miles, your back/legs aching from a two hour drive then it’s probably a race car.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
My thoughts are if you can’t drive it without overheating, your ears ringing, running out of gas in 100 miles, your back/legs aching from a two hour drive then it’s probably a race car.
Or a FORD

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Hellcat Charger Redeye Widebody
After the tune I loaded from Jon tonight, I’m not sure anymore. :ROFLMAO:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
We joke about street car vs race car quite a bit around here, but I'm curious where others think the line actually is? I watch some of those street outlaw flavor of the week shows and laugh at those guys claiming street car on something that couldn't make it around the block without a pit crew in the trunk and that you couldn't drive without hear plugs. I also watch some of those drag and drive events where the cars technically have a vin, and a tow hitch for supplies, and they drive them on the street between tracks, but no way I'd call most of those street cars. Entertaining but it's not something you're gonna hop in and cruise on the weekend.

I used to think the limit was 10.00 for a street car. Below that you needed a cage and a 10.00 car was pretty dang fast. Going below that would have some consequences for street driving. The Hellcat platform has changed that a bit as it only takes a few mods to make them very fast and still very streetable.

My new thinking is 9.00 or 149mph. Once you put a cage or a parachute on a car I don't think it's a street car anymore. Crazy to think a car that fast can easily be driven around on the street with about zero compromises. Mine will probably run a bit below 9.50 at 147 or 148 and I literally drive it around town every weekend.

What do you guys think the limit is?
My personal definition: If you can't daily it, it's not a street car. And I mean DAILY.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
exhibit A

While on the street, this is not a street car

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
exhibit A

While on the street, this is not a street car
The fact he could hit the Gas on that thing on wet roads it isn’t even fast 🤣

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
The difference is when the guy in the lane next to you beats you you claim it’s a race car and you have a street car.

I guess mine has a cage now so it’s a race car.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Race car is you can’t safely drive it on the street. Aluminum body, “brakes”… lol. A full cage on a non cut up body does not make it a race car. If you took a plasma cutter to the structural integrity of your car, replaced it with aluminum panels/rivets, took the glass out for lexan…. Race car. If you put a cage in a stock glass/full body panel car? Street car. ET doesn’t matter, I think it’s more about safety

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yeah, this just sounds like a cammed hellcat with no exhaust. Have you guys ever heard a long tube header hellcat with nothing but turndowns, e90 and a put er on the trailer tune? Deafening

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Know plenty of people with race cars that run the gamut. Dog boxes, blower surge, zoomies, car is just a shell, lightest weight brakes possible, lexan. If you trailer it because of safety or you physically can’t drive it on the street, it’s a race car.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Glad he's not my neighbor...:rolleyes:

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #35
I don't believe cages are legal for street driving?

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
I don't believe cages are legal for street driving?
No law in Wisconsin on that

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #37
You sure? Got references it's legal? When I looked in to it there was a lit of conflicting info and statements that you should never drive a caged car without a helmet and harness both of which are illegal for road use.

I also wonder how the insurance company feels about it.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Having attended a drag and drive event I have to say that they're street cars. Even the 5 second ones.
While most aren't super comfortable, they still have many of the creature comforts such as cool suits, cup holders, sound systems and radio communications.
They run on pump gas and they put 37" tires on the back to improve gas mileage.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
You sure? Got references it's legal? When I looked in to it there was a lit of conflicting info and statements that you should never drive a caged car without a helmet and harness both of which are illegal for road use.

Progressive:

What makes a car street legal?

A street-legal car must comply with all federal and state vehicle laws, whether it just rolled off the factory floor or modified in any way. The requirements for street legal vehicles include federal and state laws and regulations. Certain safety, structural, functional, and emissions-related features — and combinations thereof —make a car street legal.

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon

Than you have to say no to trucks that have one in a bed