Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Shape of your paint when you received your new Hellcat?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Youngstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
3 pitch black cats-all brand new delivered under my spec. All need full paint correction. Each some of the worst paint I’ve seen. Don’t by a challenger for the quality of paint.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Mine was is okay shape at the time of delivery, couple of BS things (specs, a little fall out, etc). I think there is one decent scratch on the roof, or I put it there when I washed/waxed it in my brother's shitty driveway before taking it home. Otherwise I did nothing other than putting some Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Coating on it just after the snow fell and I covered it for the Winter.

That being said, I have a case open with FCA for a horribly scratched driver's side mirror glass - it looks like it was washed with a rock - which I didn't notice until the morning after I took delivery. Obviously, I didn't do it.

My four year-old left a nice scratch in the piano black on the tail panel when she drew in the dust... oh well, such is life.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
My four year-old left a nice scratch in the piano black on the tail panel when she drew in the dust... oh well, such is life.
That has got to be the softest plastic in the world back there...

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Charger, 2021 Hellcat Durango
Hi guys!
As some of you know, I’m waiting for my 2020 HC WB challenger to arrive and be delivered.
Like many of you, I’d like to ceramic coat it while new so I don’t have to go through the cost of Paint corrections, polishes etc.
Obviously, many detailers tell me “you wouldn’t imagine the shape some paints are in even on new cars”, I guess they wanna sell, but I’m pretty sure not all new paints are delivered in pristine shape...
I asked the dealer not to touch the car, not to wash it or remove anything.
How did you guys managed this part? Did your new car needed Paint correction?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Yes. It seems most Hellcats travel by rail, and the dust from the wheels on the train etc makes its way all over the car. I still dont have my doorjambs completely clean. It will need a thorough detail before ceramic coat or PPF. It was a disaster, and honestly made me a little upset. But in the end, it's just a factory Dodge Charger, not a show car.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Yes. It seems most Hellcats travel by rail, and the dust from the wheels on the train etc makes its way all over the car. I still dont have my doorjambs completely clean. It will need a thorough detail before ceramic coat or PPF. It was a disaster, and honestly made me a little upset. But in the end, it's just a factory Dodge Charger, not a show car.
Iron X worked for mine...had a few stubborn ones...but got them all out.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Iron X worked for mine...had a few stubborn ones...but got them all out.
Most of the detailing clays will pull that rail dust right off.

Designflaw

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sadieville
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 WB M6 Cat
I will tell you I thought my paint was OK other than a couple scratches I didn't like and Orange peel.

My detailer talked me in to paint correction before ceramic and it is a completely different car.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Paint? You guys got paint on your Challengers?!?

OP
PIERRE M.

PIERRE M.

Member ID
Reactions
City
CIUDAD JUAREZ
State
Non-US
Country
Mexico
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat.
Thread Starter #29
Paint? You guys got paint on your Challengers?!?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
I got my 15 TorRed HC used and even though the previous owner took great care of it and had a lot of PPF, it still took abuse from the dealership lot boys. Paint correction and ceramic made a night and day diff even on the ppf.

I had my 18 Billet T/A and my current 19 DG 1320 paint corrected and ceramic'd. I just love the ease of cleaning it and how the car just always looks clean even after driving through a week of rain. Both cars looked good when I bought them but the DG was noticeably better afterward. The billet about the same. Each time I was there the shop had one or 2 black WB challengers in the shop being done. One was a demon, a Redeye and a NB HC. The paint was HORRIBLE on the Demon and the 19 Redeye was the absolute worst paint Ive ever seen. Overspray, orange peel, dull areas you could see AT NIGHT. swirrels and scratches. Saw the cars a week later after he was done and they looked like mirrors. Shop owner said almost all the darker colors, especially black are trashed when he gets them. The lighter colors dont show it as much but IMO still benefit.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Youngstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
You wouldn’t believe the amount of rock chips and touch ups I needed to do on all 3 of my black hellcats. From damage caused during assembly process to rock chips from transport. Had I never been willing to accept the fact their paint jobs suck, I would have never signed for any of the cars. After the third delivery, I had to tell myself “either u take it for what it is and live with it or don’t get a hellcat”.

GdBye

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Midland
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
Mine is white so it hides some of the imperfections but I still had areas that were chipped and the inside trunk seams were horrible. Looked like a blind person applied the sealant. Had the dealer do most of the repair. I have owned many black cars over the years and although I admire the high impact colors, I would not own a black Hellcat only because of the additional effort necessary to keep it looking swirl free. I had heard that there was a new paint process planned for the Brampton facility a couple of years ago but after reading some comments above...

Lilschmied

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nowhereville
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Had a load of rock chips down the passenger side and junk under the clear on the decklid. Was able to take care of most myself but I made the dealer replace the decklid.
20190805_131656.jpg
20190805_155027.jpg

Yes the spliiter guards came off right after this.

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
as a general observation, my 18 billet and 19 DG challenger came through with very nice paint. I never found dirt or anything under the paint or clear on the 18 and it seemed to be pretty tough. Even after 52000+ miles in 1.5 yrs and driving through an entire winter in PA, I only had maybe 5 rock chips that were noticeable enough to have to paint and 2 of those were on the hood. The 19 DG seems to be about as nice. Ive yet to find anything to frown about. Granted both cars were color corrected and ceramic'd so Im sure that removed a lot of surface imperfections but nothing under the clear or color on either car.

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
As far as I could see it was perfect, you find most of your scratches and dings when you wax your car.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
I read these kinds of questions in many different threads an am always Thankful I have not had any of these bad experiences.

My husband always had me look over our cars not that he didn't have a good eye, it was I was the better complainer and he was good at getting the fixed results done right!

Linda :)

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
You should have seen my 19 Challenger HCWB when it was delivered in March last year. It was so bad I almost didn't accept it. It had rail dust embedded as well as dirt so thick you couldn't see the paint in places. Also had some rock chips and some places that were missing black paint.
It took professional cleaning, some touch up and then paint correction to make it shine.
That is Pitch Black under the filth. Hellcat 007.JPG

71SixPack

Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Elizabeth
State
CO
Country
United States
Our 2019 Indigo Redeye had obviously sat outside in the elements for several months before we purchased it. It had some rock chips the dealership took care of as part of purchase. Not as obvious were the many scratches on hood and deck lid. Looked like brush marks caused when lot monkeys removed snow.
I spent a few weeks performing paint correction myself. Learned a new skill. Paint now looks awesome. Photo just after completing blue tape still on deck lid spoiler

IMG_0030.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
The local shop that did ceramic on all my cars said he has had more than a few black WB HC and Demons where the paint was horrendous and took days to fix. Other colors were not as bad. Paint from the factory was hit or miss based on all the ones he has done. Some didnt take that much work, others took more than he thought. I saw one WB redeye he did before and after. Before I would never have accepted the car looking like that. Overspray, orange peel, scratches, the works. Looked like someone washed it with a brillo pad at night blindfolded. Afterward it looked like a $10k paint job. Dealers just dont give a shit. They wash them with dirty water, leave them in the sun to spot and then spray that shiny magic bullshit all over it to hide the damage before you pick it up.