Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Redeye Challenger Throttle Response

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I'm bummed for you. Wish I was closer and I'd let you give mine a try. My throttle does not feel quite as responsive at my Scat Pack did(bought new and trained it to run since day one), but there's a lot of power to drop in with this redeye and I'm getting more used to it. Let me be clear though, I definitely would not call my pedal unresponsive, and I feel like my redeye does perform how it is supposed to, it's a beast for sure.

I've been in these modern Mopar muscle cars since they came out about 15 years ago and stories like yours have come up from time to time over the years. These cars are slaves to their adaptives on the stock tunes. I would recommend trying to put some miles on it, get her warmed up and lay into it some - even though I get the sense that you have a few cars and the big ones like this may only see weekly trips, but that could be the main thing holding your car back. I've read that these cars learn and build their adaptive tables all the way up to 7500 miles, from the gas pedal, to the trans computer to the engine computer that sets the fuel tables...etc. Not only does it seem like they like to be driven with some authority, they seem to get stronger with miles as they run in. Vipers are especially famous for that.

Good luck - just to cover the basics, you are using good gas, haven't disassembled anything and put it back together wrong, all lines are hooked up and connected along the intake...etc?

Could always tune it, I know other people who thought they bought dogs for Hellcats, but once tuned they all seem to run about the same fwiw...
Now that I think about it I think you may be right about the cars learning. When I drove nice and slow over 400 miles to the track the car felt a little sluggish and was putting up low mph times. The car then felt like it was getting faster and more responsive with every pass. The mph went up and up significantly. The throttle may work the same way.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Now that I think about it I think you may be right about the cars learning. When I drove nice and slow over 400 miles to the track the car felt a little sluggish and was putting up low mph times. The car then felt like it was getting faster and more responsive with every pass. The mph went up and up significantly. The throttle may work the same way.
GM transmissions have adaptive learning to adjust to individual driving styles. Disconnect the battery and see if it helps. As well some cars have relearn procedures for everything from TPS, to IAC, to crank sensors. If enough things are out of spec you'll find that it under-performs based upon the accumulation of contributing factors.

B5Cat16

Member ID
Reactions
City
S
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
When I bought my 16 HC 6M in August of 2018 it only had 878 miles on it. Once it hit 1500 miles I started to open it up. I thought "OMG, this thing has NO balls on the bottom end". No torque at all. I put a pedal commander in it. Holy Sh*t, woke up the throttle response BIGTIME!!!!! Now it feels the way it should feel. Not saying that's your problem but it's something to keep in the back of your mind. And you're only talking $250.00.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I knew there was a reason I take it to BIR every once in a while to run the living shit out of it. @Paladin06 have you tried to change the modes? Seems sometimes when I switch on the street it feels more responsive, now that @EricG speaks of the adaptation.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I knew there was a reason I take it to BIR every once in a while to run the living shit out of it. @Paladin06 have you tried to change the modes? Seems sometimes when I switch on the street it feels more responsive, now that @EricG speaks of the adaptation.
Yup first pass I trapped 126mph by the end of the day the RE was trapping 129mph. Now the car is trapping 133mph and getting faster.

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
Why not try disconnecting the negative battery cable and wait a few minutes.Start the car and run it a little aggressive to see if it learns a new way of life.These cars do learn and if it was driven around town with not much throttle input it might learn that is the way to be . Sometimes takes two starts to get everything like Air conditioned and radio to act normal.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Yup first pass I trapped 126mph by the end of the day the RE was trapping 129mph. Now the car is trapping 133mph and getting faster.
That is impressive and substantial. Often the ‘15 came back louder and meaner I always thought. As you all know I have no complaints on mine. Looking forward to running it around more tracks next year with a few mods to help my fat pig get around.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Well the car is not a daily drive. I get into it occasionally but within reason. I’ve never dismantled anything on this one. I did replace the air filter with a Demon crate filter.
As for good gas, I get the best available in my area but friggin 91 is shit everywhere.

The car sat for several months in Ca. I found it and had it shipped to Az for purchase. I’ll never do that again.
You could very have well have Western States Refining there in AZ supplying all the stations just like we do. Its widely knows that Shell and Chevron are the best brands here, it’s what all the local tuners recommend too. I’d bet I’m getting most, if not all of the full timing advance on the stock tune with it. Run her low and then fill up with Shell 91! Weather will be perfect this weekend ;)

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #29
When I bought my 16 HC 6M in August of 2018 it only had 878 miles on it. Once it hit 1500 miles I started to open it up. I thought "OMG, this thing has NO balls on the bottom end". No torque at all. I put a pedal commander in it. Holy Sh*t, woke up the throttle response BIGTIME!!!!! Now it feels the way it should feel. Not saying that's your problem but it's something to keep in the back of your mind. And you're only talking $250.00.
I’ve considered that but I’m not sure they work on my 2019 Redeye Challenger. I have one on my 2015 and you are right, what a difference it makes.

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #30
You could very have well have Western States Refining there in AZ supplying all the stations just like we do. Its widely knows that Shell and Chevron are the best brands here, it’s what all the local tuners recommend too. I’d bet I’m getting most, if not all of the full timing advance on the stock tune with it. Run her low and then fill up with Shell 91! Weather will be perfect this weekend ;)
I only run Shell 91 and nothing else.

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #31
Why not try disconnecting the negative battery cable and wait a few minutes.Start the car and run it a little aggressive to see if it learns a new way of life.These cars do learn and if it was driven around town with not much throttle input it might learn that is the way to be . Sometimes takes two starts to get everything like Air conditioned and radio to act normal.
Yea, tried that as well.

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #32
FYI - Dodge Care’s was a bust. Moving on.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
I highlighted the throttle maps in one of the Pedal Commander threads. There is a difference.

In Track my HC spooks me; Street is pretty pedestrian by comparison.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
You must have something electronic or mechanical going on....the throttle response on my RE is identical to my '15 HC, except with a bit more power. I'd notice it right off the bat if it were different....and apparently yours must be a lot different to notice so much. If my car were that sluggish, it would drive me nuts too.
-I'd run it to the dealer and while it's being looked at, see if they'll let you just drive another '19...just around the lot....you wouldn't need to go fast or anything to see if the throttle was sluggish on another new car.

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #35
I highlighted the throttle maps in one of the Pedal Commander threads. There is a difference.

In Track my HC spooks me; Street is pretty pedestrian by comparison.
So the Pedal Commander does work in your 2019 Hellcat? Anyone got it in a Redeye? If so what model/version did you get?

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
So the Pedal Commander does work in your 2019 Hellcat? Anyone got it in a Redeye? If so what model/version did you get?
Nope. I am talking about the tables pulled from a factory Demon tune. I should look at the Trackhawk and crate tunes for comparison sake.

I will not spend money on any snake oil products, especially one from a company that couldn't tell me if their product failed open or failed closed.

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
Have you pulled a log on it. Just hook up your tuner from the cat and use it for a log. Maybe it’s pulling a bunch of timing which will show up by looking a lt knock.

Definitely a difference between my tuned hellcat and the redeye. I always ran +20% on my tuner for throttle response though.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
The throttle response is adjustable if the car is tuned (unlocked PCM).

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #39
The throttle response is adjustable if the car is tuned (unlocked PCM).
The car is OEM. I’m not unlocking it. I’ve removed all the after market products I purchased since August. We have covered it and will pursue a buyer next week.

OP
Paladin06

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #40
Have you pulled a log on it. Just hook up your tuner from the cat and use it for a log. Maybe it’s pulling a bunch of timing which will show up by looking a lt knock.

Definitely a difference between my tuned hellcat and the redeye. I always ran +20% on my tuner for throttle response though.
I understand with 2019 you need additional cables? Not sure I want to invest anymore money in this pig. After all lip stick on a pig is still a pig.