Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Picking up a M6 Hellcat

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #221
Got the fluids today. 5 quarts of the Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF per @16GoManGoHC2 instruction to try in the trans.

Grabbed some Mobile 1 75w-90 Synthetic Gear Oil for the diff. Says it already has limited slip friction modifier in it, so I assume I don't need to add any. Any comments on this? Last time I think I put in either Lucas or Royal Purple and it didn't seem to be life changing vs the factory fluid that was in the diff (on my previous Hellcat), so I opted for the Mobile 1 since it was like 40% cheaper.

Probably work on it tomorrow or Saturday, we'll see. I'll be flying in Vegas all week next week, so I gotta get it done before then or the curiosity is going to kill me!

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #222
Other thing I noticed is the Barton almost feels like it's trying to force me from 1st to 4th. It's definitely not the skip shift happening, just feels spring loaded to lead me to 4th when I am trying to shift from 1st to 2nd. I have to add just a little left stick pressure and it shifts just fine into 2nd.

@BULL , is this a Barton thing or do I just have to adjust the position of the shifter? Maybe it is adjusted too far left and, when I think I am pulling straight back, I am actually pulling it toward 4th? If I adjust it to the right, maybe it'll align better with my pull?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Other thing I noticed is the Barton almost feels like it's trying to force me from 1st to 4th. It's definitely not the skip shift happening, just feels spring loaded to lead me to 4th when I am trying to shift from 1st to 2nd. I have to add just a little left stick pressure and it shifts just fine into 2nd.

@BULL , is this a Barton thing or do I just have to adjust the position of the shifter? Maybe it is adjusted too far left and, when I think I am pulling straight back, I am actually pulling it toward 4th? If I adjust it to the right, maybe it'll align better with my pull?
Funny..I have a Viper that occasionally that exhibits that 1st to 4th nuance ..usually during hard accceleration..drives me crazy...my 16 HC M6..has never had an issue..but it is a very low mileage cat

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

The primary feature of the Bartons is that they are spring-loaded to the center gates, hence the Wiki that I made...

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #225
The primary feature of the Bartons is that they are spring-loaded to the center gates, hence the Wiki that I made...
I thought the spring mod was just to reduce pressure going into 5th/6th?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I thought the spring mod was just to reduce pressure going into 5th/6th?

Nope, there are springs that center the shifter to the 3rd/4th gates from either side, the mod reduces that effort. (And can be done on either side or both if you wish).

Is the Barton you have new?

They may have reduced spring force???

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #227
Nope, there are springs that center the shifter to the 3rd/4th gates from either side, the mod reduces that effort. (And can be done on either side or both if you wish).

Is the Barton you have new?

They may have reduced spring force???
Yeah, it’s “new” as in it was never installed. It’s a V3. Getting into 2nd doesn’t require nearly the force getting into 5th or 6th does though.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Yeah, it’s “new” as in it was never installed. It’s a V3. Getting into 2nd doesn’t require nearly the force getting into 5th or 6th does though.

Bicep versus Tricep

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #229
Bicep versus Tricep
So should I drink more beer or do more pushups?

Guess that’s a dumb question, only one of those is possible.

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
main issues for me with the stock shifter was 3-4 and 4-5, had to be very precise with my shift especially 3-4, nothing like going from 3-2 at 70 mph. i thought the whole point of the Bartons was to tighten up the slop in the stock shifter. hope i didnt send you a defective shifter

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #231
main issues for me with the stock shifter was 3-4 and 4-5, had to be very precise with my shift especially 3-4, nothing like going from 3-2 at 70 mph. i thought the whole point of the Bartons was to tighten up the slop in the stock shifter. hope i didnt send you a defective shifter
I don’t think the shifter is defective at all, no worries.

I just don’t have any reference because I’ve never driven one with a factory shifter. There’s also a lot of adjustment in it, I think I have it adjusted too far to the drivers side. I’m going to reposition the lever towards the passenger side a bit and see if the 1-2 shift is more natural.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I was actually pretty content with it exactly centered in the adjustment.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #233
I was actually pretty content with it exactly centered in the adjustment.

I adjusted mine towards the driver and aft a bit for my initial hack at it.

Left the shifter boot off so I could drive it around and adjust until I get it right. I’ll adjust it either tomorrow or Saturday and see how it goes. Think I’m going to go full aft on it as well, while moving back towards center (towards passenger).

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
D65EBCF0-8BEA-4DDE-9E2E-8E7F47A60C12.gif
This is how you gotta grab the 1-2 shift with a Barton

Last edited:

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Beers and working in your car end results😁
F3BCDEC1-2F7F-475C-9447-4256C1E6B6AC.gif

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #236
Well I changed the trans fluid this morning. My initial impression is - it didn’t make much of a difference in shifting quality. I think it did quiet down the trans a bit though. Have to put some miles on it before making an actual determination though.

I did the clutch bleed procedure too, which just consist of pumping the pedal. Service manual says “up to 200 times”. Didn’t seem to make any difference either.

Definitely remove the crossmember, makes life so much easier and almost no mess. 6 bolts, 4 x 13mm and 2 x 15mm, torqued to 45 ft lbs. I supported where the it mates to the bell housing with a jack stand, worked fine.

And if you’re wondering what that other jack stand is for, well that’s just extra insurance for Mom and the kids if the Quickjack failed somehow.

EAEEFF71-7378-4D83-B63F-73BB1C3F628C.jpeg

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
While youre under there add the skip shift eliminator.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #238
While youre under there add the skip shift eliminator.
I probably will. Out of town next week but I’ll be back under there doing the oil and diff fluid the following week.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
When I was under mine for a bit like you are, one of the things I did was separate the exhaust, clean the mating faces with scotch brite and rejoin them.

When I did, I pushed them up a bit into the bottom of the floor so they didn't hang down as much.

The other thing that happened was (at least for awhile) the Cat Pee went away....

My motivation for doing this in the first place was to improve my Cd for the Standing Mile ;)

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #240
When I was under mine for a bit like you are, one of the things I did was separate the exhaust, clean the mating faces with scotch brite and rejoin them.

When I did, I pushed them up a bit into the bottom of the floor so they didn't hang down as much.

The other thing that happened was (at least for awhile) the Cat Pee went away....

My motivation for doing this in the first place was to improve my Cd for the Standing Mile ;)
I think I’m going to let a dealer do the cat recall, which should mean new piping on at least one side of the V-band.

I did look at the exhaust manifold today and it was really corroded at the flange. The tubing was fine but the flange that bolts to the head was very corroded. A little bit surprised by that because the car is pretty clean every else. Maybe an exhaust leak?