Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Picking up a M6 Hellcat

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Replaced my M6 tranny fluid with Royal Purple. Barton shifter and cdv removed. No inconsistencies in shifting, no notchyness, no probs. R&R the fluid and work it in, report back.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #182
Replaced my M6 tranny fluid with Royal Purple. Barton shifter and cdv removed. No inconsistencies in shifting, no notchyness, no probs. R&R the fluid and work it in, report back.
Did you have any of those issue prior to doing that work?

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I only have 12,500 on mine and I still have the stock shifter (I’m so ashamed), but it’s always been buttery smooth and precise. Hence my hesitation to do the Barton.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #184
I only have 12,500 on mine and I still have the stock shifter (I’m so ashamed), but it’s always been buttery smooth and precise. Hence my hesitation to do the Barton.
I have the factory shifter but I’ve never driven a Hellcat with one. This one has a Hurst shifter installed when I bought it and I threw in the Barton.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
M6 fluid where?? Putting tranny fluid in the rad ee a tor?? Hell, I come from the Fred Flintstone era. I can shift with no clutch. Listen to the engine and cheat if you have to and look at the tack. If you don't have one of those switches, 1st to 4th then should be no problem. Listen to the whine and it will tell ya when to shift,,, with out a clutch. Prob lem get an automatic. Good lord.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Did you have any of those issue prior to doing that work?
Sorry but no. I did the swap as preventative maintenance and to get the break in factory fluid out. My car only had about 5k when I did it. Only at about 6.1k now.

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
I have 24K miles on my 2017 with about 2k with me behind the wheel. Never noticed anything inconsistent as far as engaging any gears. They’ve been crisp and consistent to me.

I don’t think my gear fluids have ever been changed; CarFax showed a pretty consistent service record from the dealer where it originally purchased to when I purchased it from the same dealer used.

I’ll probably change gear fluids this spring anyway

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #188
Sorry but no. I did the swap as preventative maintenance and to get the break in factory fluid out. My car only had about 5k when I did it. Only at about 6.1k now.
Good to know. I don’t mind tearing it apart if needed, I actually find that I like working on cars more than I like driving the car haha.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Wheels are on, brakes are on, and I’m happy to find zero vibration at any speed so far from the tires. I spent the better part of 6 months fighting vibrations on two different sets of wheels/tires on my last Hellcat.

One set was just never getting balanced properly while the other set (MPS4s) had a bad tire from the factory that we eventually replaced and the vibration went away. Needless to say, I was half expecting the 70-80 mph vibration that so many experience.

Going to wait for some warmer weather and then change all the fluids. Should be as good as new at that point.

It still has the recall open for the cats, what was the consensus on getting that done? I had it done on my last Hellcat and it made no difference at all but I know some people had very different opinions about it.
I did the recall right before parking mine for the winter. I wanted the new 02's and cats. From what I read from others, the flash didn't hurt the performance and being I was going to unlock my computer it didn't matter anyway

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
@AeroF16 you need to change the Thread Title😁

Picked up a Hellcat took her apart and put her back together🤪
Be easier to just change the title to humpty dumpty 2.0

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #191
I’m being overly critical of the issue, it’s definitely something that I can live with, just curious. I’ll likely swap the fluid and see how it goes.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
I’m being overly critical of the issue, it’s definitely something that I can live with, just curious. I’ll likely swap the fluid and see how it goes.
Drive some one else’s if possible and that should clear the thoughts. My Gold Rush has the manual and no issues putting in gear and shifting. And I get what your saying seems like something isn’t aligning all the time.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #193
Drive some one else’s if possible and that should clear the thoughts. My Gold Rush has the manual and no issues putting in gear and shifting. And I get what your saying seems like something isn’t aligning all the time.
My 392 Shaker was silky smooth too.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I think it’s normal. For me, 1-2 is the most notchy, but I grab it hard (like arm wrestling lol).Then 2-3 is softer and letting Barton spring up into position. 3-4 sometimes has a tad notch. 4-5 and 5-6 feel really smooth but I only cruise in. I only bang 1-4 and can get about 146-147 out of 4th(tuned).

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Smooth with the exception of getting into Reverse can sometimes require a pause before it will let me in (have to let it spool down if I shift too quickly from forward to reverse)

: (

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #196
I think it’s normal. For me, 1-2 is the most notchy, but I grab it hard (like arm wrestling lol).Then 2-3 is softer and letting Barton spring up into position. 3-4 sometimes has a tad notch. 4-5 and 5-6 feel really smooth but I only cruise in. I only bang 1-4 and can get about 146-147 out of 4th(tuned).
That is how I would describe what I’m feeling. 2nd is always a bit notchy unless I’m downshifting from 3-2, then usually seems smooth. Every once in a while the 3-4 is a little notchy.

I’ve been reading up, seems hit or miss with this transmission. Wouldn’t consider mine bad per se, but it could be better. I’d bet a change of fluid would make a world of difference.

It’s still under warranty though so I’m considering throwing the stock shifter on and taking it to a dealer to see what they’ll do.

Last edited:

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Going into the dealer will make it worse. They may tear up the catalytic converter. Shifting into reverse can be tricky till the harmonic converter gets used to handle it. That critter If it is not happy a lot of thangs aren't happy.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #198
Going into the dealer will make it worse. They may tear up the catalytic converter. Shifting into reverse can be tricky till the harmonic converter gets used to handle it. That critter If it is not happy a lot of thangs aren't happy.
Yeah that’s the thing about the dealer haha. This may be a case of “The Devil you know is better than the Devil you don’t “.

Haven’t had an issue with reverse yet.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
That is how I would describe what I’m feeling. 2nd is always a bit notchy unless I’m downshifting from 3-2, then usually seems smooth. Every once in a while the 3-4 is a little notchy.

I’ve been reading up, seems hit or miss with this transmission. Wouldn’t consider mine bad per se, but it could be better. I’d bet a change of fluid would make a world of difference.

It’s still under warranty though so I’m considering throwing the stock shifter on and taking it to a dealer to see what they’ll do.
You shouldn’t have to put the stock shifter back to send it to the dealer. If you get a better feel after a fluid change pls post. I have read a little notchy is common in these trans and vipers also 🤷‍♂️

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Reverse can and can not co- operate with or with out the clutch. Like I said before, depends on the harmonic balancer whom is in control. I have driven straight and down shifted. Knowing the engine. But when getting to reverse, whole different story. zjust grind away. I learned in an early age in some big ass trucks,