Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Oil consumption

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I guess I am lucky..M6 with zero consumption since new. I would never believe it to be acceptable for a car to burn 1 qt per 750 miles. I have driven cars with 300,000 miles on them that didn't burn oil at that rate.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
I guess I am lucky..M6 with zero consumption since new. I would never believe it to be acceptable for a car to burn 1 qt per 750 miles. I have driven cars with 300,000 miles on them that didn't burn oil at that rate.
my cat has burned a quart or two here and there since 2017, e55 amg, countless other M cars and s63 amg have burned oil here and there occasionally, pretty typical for v8 muscle type cars, yes the e55 is a muscle car with a 5.5 s/c and 550 hp(it's an 04 and spanks new scat packs lol) a german muscle car lol.

but my opinion has been that these high performance v8s need an extra quart here and there isn't bad at all. Now when you have exotic cars doing that without it being tracked then you got serious problems.

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I have other branded v8 muscle cars and trucks, not 707 HP, but none have burned 1 qt every 750 miles, few burn any oil between changes. I know FCA says its acceptable, and again, mine and many others burn zero so it is not consistent between the same engines..seems odd to me.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
I have other branded v8 muscle cars and trucks, not 707 HP, but none have burned 1 qt every 750 miles, few burn any oil between changes. I know FCA says its acceptable, and again, mine and many others burn zero so it is not consistent between the same engines..seems odd to me.
if it's consistent then it's likely something is wrong, I have had times where it needed a quart and then 4-5 weeks later needed another quart but then had no issues for months to a year after that.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Don't feel bad. GT350 owners are burning oil like 2 strokes. Ford says it's normal.
I read in Car & Driver they added something like 22 quarts over their 30k mile long term test, by far and away the most they're ever added to a car they have tested. Now that's a lot of oil!