Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Oil consumption

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Charger, 2021 Hellcat Durango
My Charger now has 3300 miles on it, mostly from driving from NC to MD and back every week. Mostly highway miles. I followed the break-in guide but on Sunday my wife was behind me and when I got on it she said it smoked. I checked the oil and it’s a quart low. Is this normal? I understand a little consumption is normal but to see it actively smoke was a little unsettling and of course my wife is losing her mind. Thanks for your input,
V/R
SpecOps

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
A quart in 3300 miles is nothing to worry about. Mine used more than that in it's first 3000 miles
Now with 6000 miles on it my car is down to a 1/2 quart in 3000 miles and I'm driving it harder now too
Lol.

rdlsrt

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pearland
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I have started my up before and seen smoke, never had anyone behind me to check though.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Mine used 1qt during first 2,200 miles, which was first oil change. From 2,200 miles to 11,000 miles it hasn't really used anything, maybe added an ounce or so in between those oil change intervals to keep level a top (because I am OCD). Occasional puff of smoke is normal.

Usmc341

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Normal. I get some brownish carbon smoke when I get on it. Nothing to worry about unless the smoke is blue.

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
I'm sure I will probably be in the minority here, but my opinion is there is nothing normal about an engine having oil burnoff...Currently sitting at over 20k on my Cat and other than the first oil change I'm never 1 drop below full. My oil changes have ranged from high 3k to 7k mileage. Typically at the one year mark.

I'm the 2nd owner, and purchased her with 700 miles on the od. 1st oil change at 2k she was 1qt low. However I did not check the level when I bought her. My mistake.

Also note I did change to the 7qt dipstick versus the stock 6qt dipstick. So I have run 7qts since the first change.

I will also note I do not use Pennzoil.

Anyway, that it my opinion. FWIW.

WildCat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kakastan
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
very normal - for hellcats at least. all of mine have done it. latest one used a solid quart in the 1st 2500 -3000 miles, but has used considerably less since that time relative to mileage.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
My Charger now has 3300 miles on it, mostly from driving from NC to MD and back every week. Mostly highway miles. I followed the break-in guide but on Sunday my wife was behind me and when I got on it she said it smoked. I checked the oil and it’s a quart low. Is this normal? I understand a little consumption is normal but to see it actively smoke was a little unsettling and of course my wife is losing her mind. Thanks for your input,
V/R
SpecOps
Never burned a drop in my 2015 for 4 years. Will monitor my 2019 Redeye closely.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
From all reports it seems some burn oil and some don't. Mine didn't. I do have a catch can on it to keep anything out of the Supercharger. It catches about a half once in between oil changes. Op yours sounds a little excessive to me. I would track it and document the mileage and oil usage for awhile to make sure, and then inform the dealer if it is still using.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
In our previous life, a member, StellasHC, found that on one of his heads, all 8 of his valve seals were floating on the valve stems, and not seated down on the bosses like they should be.

Once he repaired them, his oil consumption was fixed.

Ref: "Oil consumption and my findings..."

WildCat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kakastan
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
Since it seems some have been triggered by my response I guess I need to further clarify, as DODGE say this is NORMAL.
OP, go ahead and do a google search for "hellcat oil consumption". Its a topic that has been heavily discussed since 2015 across many, many other forums and reported by owners too numerous to count.
Driving behavior seems to play a factor.

NOW:
FCA official bulletin states the following:
Engine Oil Consumption Guideline FCA US
NUMBER: 09-007-18
GROUP: Engine
SUBJECT: Consumption Guideline
**MODELS: This bulletin applies to all FCA US LLC vehicles 2012-2019 equipped with gasoline engines.**
Oil Consumption
**The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles listed above is 1 quart (0.946 liter) in 2,000 miles (3,200 km) for the 1st 50,000 miles (80,467 km). For vehicles with more then 50,000 miles (80,467 km) the acceptable oil consumption for engines is 1 quart (0.946 liter) in 750 miles (1,207 km).**

CAUTION: This above rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule.
CAUTION: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). See ‘Causes for Oil Consumption’ below. Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be higher and may include Fleet and Commercial customers.

Aggressive Driving
Aggressive driving and/or continuous driving at high speeds with high RPM's will increase oil consumption. Because this may not always be an everyday occurrence, it is hard to determine exactly how much the oil economy will be affected. A higher rate of oil consumption is normal for vehicles equipped with manual transmissions that are driven aggressively. Aggressive means; operation at high RPM (3,000 RPM to redline), with frequent use of engine braking (using the engine to slow the vehicle). Vehicles that are driven aggressively may consume engine oil at a rate of up to 0.946 L (1 quart) every 805 km (500 mi). This is normal for a vehicle that is driven aggressively. No repair is necessary. This driving habit will require the owner to check the engine oil level at frequent intervals, to verify the oil level remains within the recommended operating range. Oil level should be checked every time you get fuel.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Since it seems some have been triggered by my response I guess I need to further clarify, as DODGE say this is NORMAL.
OP, go ahead and do a google search for "hellcat oil consumption". Its a topic that has been heavily discussed since 2015 across many, many other forums and reported by owners too numerous to count.
Driving behavior seems to play a factor.

NOW:
FCA official bulletin states the following:
Engine Oil Consumption Guideline FCA US
NUMBER: 09-007-18
GROUP: Engine
SUBJECT: Consumption Guideline
**MODELS: This bulletin applies to all FCA US LLC vehicles 2012-2019 equipped with gasoline engines.**
Oil Consumption
**The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles listed above is 1 quart (0.946 liter) in 2,000 miles (3,200 km) for the 1st 50,000 miles (80,467 km). For vehicles with more then 50,000 miles (80,467 km) the acceptable oil consumption for engines is 1 quart (0.946 liter) in 750 miles (1,207 km).**

CAUTION: This above rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule.
CAUTION: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). See ‘Causes for Oil Consumption’ below. Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be higher and may include Fleet and Commercial customers.

Aggressive Driving
Aggressive driving and/or continuous driving at high speeds with high RPM's will increase oil consumption. Because this may not always be an everyday occurrence, it is hard to determine exactly how much the oil economy will be affected. A higher rate of oil consumption is normal for vehicles equipped with manual transmissions that are driven aggressively. Aggressive means; operation at high RPM (3,000 RPM to redline), with frequent use of engine braking (using the engine to slow the vehicle). Vehicles that are driven aggressively may consume engine oil at a rate of up to 0.946 L (1 quart) every 805 km (500 mi). This is normal for a vehicle that is driven aggressively. No repair is necessary. This driving habit will require the owner to check the engine oil level at frequent intervals, to verify the oil level remains within the recommended operating range. Oil level should be checked every time you get fuel.

I've seen this document before.

1 quart in 2K miles, more for the Manual???

IMHO, this is excessive oil use, no matter how it's sliced...

My M6 uses no perceptual oil, including on race weekends.

WildCat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kakastan
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
Bull, I actually totally agree.
I was shocked when my 15 read very low after just a few hundred miles post break in. I pondered if it wasnt accidently left low at manufacture. But a few thousand later after correctly topping it off, it was low again...
I watched my new widebody from day 1, and it had similar results, but not as drastic.
Dodge seems to think its normal. Thats what I meant by "normal"...... :unsure:
I also think checking oil at every fill up (as noted in the FCAB), on a car that gets 10 MPG is also a bit excessive.:oops:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
...I also think checking oil at every fill up (as noted in the FCAB), on a car that gets 10 MPG is also a bit excessive.:oops:

You mean checking your oil every 120 miles isn't reasonable???

:p

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger

Usmc341

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Don't feel bad. GT350 owners are burning oil like 2 strokes. Ford says it's normal.

OP
SpecOps Veteran

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
Great input fellas, much appreciated. So I went ahead and changed my oil (3800 miles) and will continue to check it weekly. Bull, you mentioned valve seals floating. Do you happen to remember that members rate of consumption? Seems as long as I have everything documented if it continues to burn like it is I can take it to the dealership and have them check it all under warranty. Hopefully as everything settles in the rate of consumption I am experiencing will diminish. I suppose I will just update this post with my results over the next few months.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Great input fellas, much appreciated. So I went ahead and changed my oil (3800 miles) and will continue to check it weekly. Bull, you mentioned valve seals floating. Do you happen to remember that members rate of consumption? Seems as long as I have everything documented if it continues to burn like it is I can take it to the dealership and have them check it all under warranty. Hopefully as everything settles in the rate of consumption I am experiencing will diminish. I suppose I will just update this post with my results over the next few months.
Don't remember oil consumption in that scenario, but it was ridiculously obvious. My bet is your oil consumption stops now at first oil change as mine did when I changed oil at 2,200. I too was on high alert with oil consumption early on now at 11,000 and burning nothing. Keep us updated.

OP
SpecOps Veteran

SpecOps Veteran

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fayettevile
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
Follow up:
Four weeks ago I had my oil changed at 3800 miles. Two weeks later I checked it and it was 3/4 of a quart low. Two weeks later (Monday) I checked it again and it had burned maybe a 1/10th of a quart. I will check it again next week, but it seems that everything is settled in now.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Follow up:
Four weeks ago I had my oil changed at 3800 miles. Two weeks later I checked it and it was 3/4 of a quart low. Two weeks later (Monday) I checked it again and it had burned maybe a 1/10th of a quart. I will check it again next week, but it seems that everything is settled in now.
Great update. Thanks for sharing.