Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

NSFW: my colorful language when I found my drive shaft was just flopping in the breeze.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
That is what I did with GM and the vettes. Got tired of argueing with em and went to Dodge. I did find having a great relationship with this dealer and not the dealer I bought the car from but should have. Just talked the rep into it. I have brought them other cars and paying work so the dealer was on my side all the way. Good luck to ya.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
At the end of the day parts break. I get it, Just so much prep went into getting wheels and tires ready, taking leave, getting it approved, etc... Thats why I was angry. I have good faith the dealership will take care of me and if not I’ll take my money and business else where.
I hope everything works out for ya. Keep us posted

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #23
I hope everything works out for ya. Keep us posted
No warranty on vehicle, going to have to eat the cost of this potentially. Service manager mentioned a recall on catalytic converters but when I look up my VIN I don't see anything on there. The best outcome would be a new center support bearing as that would be the cheapest but I didn't see an option to order just that part in any of the catalogs. I don't have access to those systems so maybe someone else could illuminate that for me.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I thought the drivetrain warranty was 5 years up until 2017 or something? Well, that blows.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #25
Out of warranty, quoted 1150 for a stock replacement. Dealer won't order me a Redeye or Demon upgraded one. Called HHP and nothing is in stock (they have lead times) and I understand. Getting the recall work done, which btw is a hot off the press June 2020 recall so keep an eye out for that, then driving her home very carefully and then putting her up on stands and doing an exhaust/ds removal so that when the new one comes in, I'll be good to go. Doing some major shopping this evening. If anyone has any recommendations please throw a message in this thread. Would love to hear what you guys are running. I will not be changing the exhaust so I've heard RUMINT that the exhaust needs to be modified.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Out of warranty, quoted 1150 for a stock replacement. Dealer won't order me a Redeye or Demon upgraded one. Called HHP and nothing is in stock (they have lead times) and I understand. Getting the recall work done, which btw is a hot off the press June 2020 recall so keep an eye out for that, then driving her home very carefully and then putting her up on stands and doing an exhaust/ds removal so that when the new one comes in, I'll be good to go. Doing some major shopping this evening. If anyone has any recommendations please throw a message in this thread. Would love to hear what you guys are running. I will not be changing the exhaust so I've heard RUMINT that the exhaust needs to be modified.
Call Perry Hall Power Equipment. If he can't do it...which I would be very surprised about....he can probably tell you who can. They do a lot of 4x4 axles, etc there. I've had work done there in the past. They are pricey, but they are good.
They are over in the Middle River area on Rt.40 just past Middle River Rd.

Address: 9621 Pulaski Hwy, Middle River, MD 21220
Phone: (410) 391-2300
hours :0730-1700

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Glen Burnie Transmissions in beautiful Glen Burnie 855-728-1841

A-1 Drive Shaft Co. in Baltimore 410-752-3000

Wells Automotive in Glen Burnie 410-766-9266

Last edited:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
if you don't mind driving to Frederick, you could try Maryland Performance Center 301-371-8883

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
So the hanger bearing took a dump?
That is the reason I hate the 2pc driveshaft.
My car vibrates at times. Is it the drive shaft or the tires trying to do a complete rotation on the wheel.🤷‍♂️
For the amount of time my car sees a drag strip I don't have a ton of faith in the OE hanger.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #30
So I called HHP and CSP racing. No matter what there is a lead time. 6-8 weeks due to pandemic and material shortages. I’m just grateful to be in a position where I can afford to have it fixed. Tech who is a good friend of mine said that I should get the DSS ordered and in the meantime use the stock one till it goes or until the DSS comes in. Im okay with this. Part will be ordered tomorrow and will arrive Monday, it is what it is. Always hopeful, never expecting. No drag racing this weekend but I’m okay with that as well because that means I can spend more time with this knuckle head.

63443A1E-1268-49C2-BA37-D95E8AB9663B.jpeg
2F35B262-7CFC-4859-A8F9-918187452924.jpeg

He was never properly socialized as a rescue, now he is and made a lady friend. He also likes water, a lot. Theres always next month for test n tune. 😁

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #31
Went to the shop today, recall work was done. Brand new cats, O2 sensors and a PCM flash. Wonder what it will entail. Will compart logs after I get her back. Spoke with service manager and we talked about the drive shafts being a weak link. He explained he agrees 100%, he said there have been seven revisions since they were produced. He printed out the interchange sheets and showed me AA through AJ. Thats crazy!

Drive shaft wont come in till Monday. Delays are temporary, improvements are permanent (or until it breaks again lol).

4A5663D3-64E2-46D0-BE54-93298D9A0DA4.jpeg

A73C4410-5B14-4B00-A366-CC176BC0E4DA.jpeg

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Went to the shop today, recall work was done. Brand new cats, O2 sensors and a PCM flash. Wonder what it will entail. Will compart logs after I get her back. Spoke with service manager and we talked about the drive shafts being a weak link. He explained he agrees 100%, he said there have been seven revisions since they were produced. He printed out the interchange sheets and showed me AA through AJ. Thats crazy!

Drive shaft wont come in till Monday. Delays are temporary, improvements are permanent (or until it breaks again lol).

View attachment 18567

View attachment 18569
So they flash the computer after changing the cats?
Not sure I care for that.
What if my car slows down?
I have to make an appointment for that.

Or do I.
Definitely looking forward to hearing about your logs and how they compare.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
You know, small shops who don't have a huge R&D budget are able to put together some pretty good drive shafts (some of them) and it is a sign to me of the weakness of corporations that on the Dodge / FCA flagship car, essentially, they can't get it right enough after 7 tries with literally millions of dollars and some of the best CAD and testing set ups on the planet. Kind of sad. but then, that electric truck company, Nikola, that has not delivered a single commercial or personal truck yet, has a bigger market value than FCA. (Admittedly, they have 10 billion dollars in pre-orders, but still). Maybe the majors are dinosaurs?

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #34
So they flash the computer after changing the cats?
Not sure I care for that.
What if my car slows down?
I have to make an appointment for that.

Or do I.
Definitely looking forward to hearing about your logs and how they compare.
Me too, the cats from the fix appear to be bigger, we’ll see. Also going to hit up a dyno as well. Was around 640 at the wheels prior to this change. Maybe even lost power from the driveshaft (debateable tho)

You know, small shops who don't have a huge R&D budget are able to put together some pretty good drive shafts (some of them) and it is a sign to me of the weakness of corporations that on the Dodge / FCA flagship car, essentially, they can't get it right enough after 7 tries with literally millions of dollars and some of the best CAD and testing set ups on the planet. Kind of sad. but then, that electric truck company, Nikola, that has not delivered a single commercial or personal truck yet, has a bigger market value than FCA. (Admittedly, they have 10 billion dollars in pre-orders, but still). Maybe the majors are dinosaurs?
I agree. Manager and Tech though decided to nip it in the bud here tho, they ordered me the Demon drive shaft. :)

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
The cats do look a little bigger in the pics or its a allusion from the pic ?
Prob. from the Dodge trucks :oops:

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I can't do it if they are reflashing pcm.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Did you get your driveshaft fixed yet?

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
My car is a 2015, with what I am assuming is a 2015 drive shaft.
I had 3 upgraded driveshafts On my 2015 before I went to a one piece.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Just looked up my VIN and it says that recall has been pending on my car since Oct. Never got any sort of notification & dealer did not mention it in Feb when I went in for an oil change !

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
I had 3 upgraded driveshafts On my 2015 before I went to a one piece.
Any breakage ?