Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

NSFW: my colorful language when I found my drive shaft was just flopping in the breeze.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Back story, since Monday night I've been hearing a clunk under the car, was only happening when I braked. Today it got unbearable, so I went underneath the car. Jacked up the entire rear, checked suspension, brakes, lines, etc. Everything checked out, went for another test drive, still hearing the clunk. Jacked up the passenger side front side of the car. Checked exhaust, nothing was loose or banging, looked for metal scraping on metal. Removed the heat shield from behind the exhaust in front of the drive shaft and found the following, excuse my langage, was quite pissed at the time.

I am not putting a factory one back in the car, even if it is covered under warranty. What warranty needs to do is order me a one piece and put that in and then warranty that, but they wont. Why did the engineers decided on this as something that is good engineering? @DodgeCares wanna chime in on this?

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #2
Forgot to mention, need a huge favor and would be indebted if anyone could help out. Is there a one piece shop in the Pasadena, MD area that I could pick one up or have in the next 48 hours? Trying to make it to MDIR this weekend as I have extensive travel coming up soon (thanks Uncle Sam).

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
lots of info on this ,the reason for 2 piece is because of length an angles, most one piece shafts vibrate.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
lots of info on this ,the reason for 2 piece is because of length an angles, most one piece shafts vibrate.
Would dealing with vibration outweight the cons of the two piece system? One piece drive shafts have been in use since god knows when... I don't want to pay 1600 (for the part alone) for this to break again.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Tell them to order you the Redeye two piece it is the same one as the Demon. I cant remember the part number off the top of my head but they are the same numbers for redeyes and demons. You won't break one of those.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Would dealing with vibration outweight the cons of the two piece system? One piece drive shafts have been in use since god knows when... I don't want to pay 1600 (for the part alone) for this to break again.
l have a demon shaft on order an my one piece is coming out. also have like brand new MY16 driveshaft too.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Back story, since Monday night I've been hearing a clunk under the car, was only happening when I braked. Today it got unbearable, so I went underneath the car. Jacked up the entire rear, checked suspension, brakes, lines, etc. Everything checked out, went for another test drive, still hearing the clunk. Jacked up the passenger side front side of the car. Checked exhaust, nothing was loose or banging, looked for metal scraping on metal. Removed the heat shield from behind the exhaust in front of the drive shaft and found the following, excuse my langage, was quite pissed at the time.

I am not putting a factory one back in the car, even if it is covered under warranty. What warranty needs to do is order me a one piece and put that in and then warranty that, but they wont. Why did the engineers decided on this as something that is good engineering? @DodgeCares wanna chime in on this?
That's awesome man. Sorry for your bad luck, but love hearing the cursing. Will the warranty folks not give you credit towards the cost of the stock shaft to use as you like? (generally no) Have them install it, pull it and sell it?

lol, if you're a fan of funny cursing, check this "super cut" of the famous Boston Sunfish. These Boston fishermen run into a sunfish and one of them hasn't seen one before. The full clip is like 5 minutes long. This guy distilled all the cussing down.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
Tell them to order you the Redeye two piece it is the same one as the Demon. I cant remember the part number off the top of my head but they are the same numbers for redeyes and demons. You won't break one of those.
Yeah but who knows how long it will take, this weekend might be my last weekend for a very long time to do anything with the car. Kinda just sad at this point, 2020 can fuck off.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
That's awesome man. Sorry for your bad luck, but love hearing the cursing. Will the warranty folks not give you credit towards the cost of the stock shaft to use as you like? (generally no) Have them install it, pull it and sell it?

lol, if you're a fan of funny cursing, check this "super cut" of the famous Boston Sunfish. These Boston fishermen run into a sunfish and one of them hasn't seen one before. The full clip is like 5 minutes long. This guy distilled all the cussing down.

That made me feel a little better. :) "Oh shit shit shit shit shit shit shit oh my look at that fucking thing." actually had me in tears.

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
What year was that driveshaft?

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
What year was that driveshaft?
My car is a 2015, with what I am assuming is a 2015 drive shaft.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I got my 15 DS changed under warranty with a new part number. I was under the impression they’ve been upgraded several times since 15. No problems out of my new one

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
My car is a 2015, with what I am assuming is a 2015 drive shaft.

MY16 had an upgraded DS, which I believe is all that is available anymore, REs even more so.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I have a 2015 upgrade with 10 miles on it sitting in the shade.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I guess that is why they call it a 2 piece cause it will end up that way. Back in the day,, way back with the 1 piece. Broke,, welder up and make it to the line.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
That sucks OP. I'd like to pick up a late model OEM M6 ds for my '15 to buy time until someone makes a 1 piece that isn't problematic, or a 2 piece that isn't 3k+.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
I have a 2015 upgrade with 10 miles on it sitting in the shade.
I’m going to the dodge dealership manana, 0800 to get then to fix it with the upgrade. Checked warranty and it should be covered.

C872FF72-60DD-4954-95CE-0991156F5394.jpeg

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Sounds like a plan. If it lasts, it lasts. If not, you at least got more time out of out of the car without having to take money out of your own pocket. (for me, that's always a good thing, since I ain't made of money)

Glad that vid made you chuckle, man. This too shall pass, no matter how bad it might suck at the time. Hang in there, will be back at the track before you know it.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
It's a god damn fish with out a tail,, what the hell it's a dodge with a broken 2 piece d/s. I would be cusing also. I did get alot of work for free out of FCA and I meen alot of work. Had rep down here for 3 trips and we talked with the dealer and a few grouper sandwiches at the beach and all free. Be nice to the dealer and then get pissed. Call or email FCA and they might work with ya. The rep has been on this sight a few times with positive attitudes.

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
It's a god damn fish with out a tail,, what the hell it's a dodge with a broken 2 piece d/s. I would be cusing also. I did get alot of work for free out of FCA and I meen alot of work. Had rep down here for 3 trips and we talked with the dealer and a few grouper sandwiches at the beach and all free. Be nice to the dealer and then get pissed. Call or email FCA and they might work with ya. The rep has been on this sight a few times with positive attitudes.
At the end of the day parts break. I get it, Just so much prep went into getting wheels and tires ready, taking leave, getting it approved, etc... Thats why I was angry. I have good faith the dealership will take care of me and if not I’ll take my money and business else where.