Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

New Stock Power Demon Record.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Demon's are impressive in the ease of going that quick right off the showroom.

Ron has aftermarket wheels/tires and a lightweight battery.....runs in the 9.5s. I'd say those upgrades are super basic and fall on the "so easy a caveman can do it" section for modifications.

There aren't that many cars you can say that about.

EDIT - Forgot to mention the warranty :)
Sure, great whatever. That isn't the conversation we're having here (and yes, I know I initiated it), if you want to take that tangent go start a new thread and stop polluting this thread. We are talking about what makes the stock record the stock record.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
I am not setting or suggesting any restrictions here, I am simply asking what the formal rules are. I mean we do exist in a rules-based society and without rules we'd tumble in chaos, right? So this is about fairness and disclosure in what makes stock "stock". What is the definition?

Moving weight around or using a pro driver or going on a diet (person or car) or choosing a different intake or a spoiler delete or choosing a different tire or wheel set are very subjective concepts - but how much of that becomes a deviation from the spirit of stock and what is agreeable remains an outstanding issue. Factory stock, Pure stock, Stock appearing, Stock power, etc are all open to interpretation unless there are written and governed rules for each or any class.

Case in point - Turbo Buicks race in 6 very specific classes with defined restrictions and rules:
https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/2019-turbo-street-outlaw-rules.406048/
https://turbobuick.com/threads/2019-tsm-rules.462516/
and here are the other classes: https://turbobuick.com/#racing-rules-and-discussions.89

Nothing is left open to interpretation, and if you get called out for an infraction you submit to an inspection.

So what is the desire (if any) to have a clear, even, fair, full disclosure, and level playing field as it relates to the go-no-go rules for the Demon stock record? Without establishing this early on the possibility to refute or fact check/scrutinize an established record contrary to the rules becomes exponentially more difficult.

The problem is this event was a free for all as far as stock rules and claims. In part because the owner is a big Man and he lightened to be competitive at times and the others went for it and took it to a new level. They want it so bad they did their own thing. In my opinion it is kind of shallow and does not mean as much to me now. They are not liars. They will tell you right to your face what they are doing. But they think it is ok I guess. Someone at the event told me "where does this end?" Next they will be pulling fenders, glass, doors, tail light panels, quarter panels etc...... What we really need are rules and standards so the car is still respected and valued etc...

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1011-hot-rod-hack-ups/

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-0401-1970-cadillac-coupe-de-ville-drag-weight/

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
The problem is this event was a free for all as far as stock rules and claims. In part because the owner is a big Man and he lightened to be competitive at times and the others went for it and took it to a new level. They want it so bad they did their own thing. In my opinion it is kind of shallow and does not mean as much to me now. They are not liars. They will tell you right to your face what they are doing. But they think it is ok I guess. Someone at the event told me "where does this end?" Next they will be pulling fenders, glass, doors, tail light panels, quarter panels etc...... What we really need are rules and standards so the car is still respected and valued etc...

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1011-hot-rod-hack-ups/

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-0401-1970-cadillac-coupe-de-ville-drag-weight/
So then it is agreed that a structured rule set needs to be developed and followed.

Otherwise the current and all future stock record claims are utterly meaningless unless verified - other than the fun of running your car (yay go Demon secret society). My point about being a liar is the misdirection or unwillingness to specify publicly what was done to get that coveted ET. That is very disingenuous.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I don't need to review anything I don't reckon. You know what they say about arguing on the internet. I enjoy a technical debate but going back and forth over stock record Demon times I can't bother.

I've seen some of the cars from Drag Week. If Joe FastGuy wants to ride around for a week in a car with ear protection, wrapped in plastic so the rain doesn't get on him, and smell exhaust fumes for hundreds of miles at a time, more power to them. That isn't my idea of a street car. Not saying there might not be a couple nice ones, but they're not the norm. Ever see all the work they do on those cars between tracks? Kind of a silly comparison to us real street car guys.

$100K can typically buy you an OEM 10 second car. The Demon is an exception as it runs 9s.

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Lets add another perspective to what you stated. The 69 Camaro you talked about was about a $20K build. And I'm being very generous. The Demon $100K 1 second difference between them, and 30 years of technology!
It's not just the 1 second though, that's the point. The Camaro was barely streetable. Road trip? Pffffft, no way. A/C? Comfortable? Would your wife ride in it to dinner? I guess it depends on the wife...

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
So its 4280lbs, eh? Meaning that as long as the car weighs 4280lbs it meets the "stock" criteria? So, what you are saying is that the car qualifies as stock even in you put the PS front seat, rear seat, door panels and glove box in the trunk? Or you can gut the front 3/4 of the car and put some bags of concrete in the trunk to make weight? I dunno... seems very arbitrary to me.
Stock to me is stock drive train

I know in the import world i came from years ago, people would gut their cars and put them on slicks and claim "stock record"

I'd wager you could pull a few hundred lbs out of these cars and 99% of the people wouldn't notice.

4200lbs, the thing is a pig. The Drag Pak is 3500lbs! Put them on diets and let them eat. Who cares if it has a Kirkey seat in it or not. Anyone arguing stock over that is a loon.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
I don't need to review anything I don't reckon. You know what they say about arguing on the internet. I enjoy a technical debate but going back and forth over stock record Demon times I can't bother.

I've seen some of the cars from Drag Week. If Joe FastGuy wants to ride around for a week in a car with ear protection, wrapped in plastic so the rain doesn't get on him, and smell exhaust fumes for hundreds of miles at a time, more power to them. That isn't my idea of a street car. Not saying there might not be a couple nice ones, but they're not the norm. Ever see all the work they do on those cars between tracks? Kind of a silly comparison to us real street car guys.

$100K can typically buy you an OEM 10 second car. The Demon is an exception as it runs 9s.

Agreed 100%.

And LOL @ wrapped in plastic.

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
Sure, great whatever. That isn't the conversation we're having here (and yes, I know I initiated it), if you want to take that tangent go start a new thread and stop polluting this thread. We are talking about what makes the stock record the stock record.
Who's polluting what thread again?

Anyway, my comment directly address your first sentence. We can agree to disagree if you'd like and that's fine with me.

Concerning your point about Stock vs Stock-ish, I happen to agree. A stock record should mean 100% as it was delivered. Factory Nittos and all. That's what I meant when I said "It's either stock or it's not". That said, I can understand the weight difference issue but until there's a way to limit specific weight difference reduction between the owner and Leah from the drivers seat area only....well, I can't see another apples-apples comparo. Track prep, DA, etc, and all that are good points, but stock is still stock.

Either way, I'm super impressed with the car and with these owners that are pushing them the way they were intended for. We can all be jackasses to each other over what basically amounts to circle-jerking (both sides of the equation), or we can get over ourselves and enjoy the cars.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer

Some of those cars are Pro Mods with license plates. Its over kill and gets entirely too much attention.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle

Cherry pick the conversations as it suits you - I honestly couldn't give a flying fuck. But, it speaks volumes about you when you avoid the subject after you inserted yourself.

Maybe you should actually get out and do Drag Week with that street car of yours if you are going to make claims like that. You are very delusional if you think there are a lack of amenities in all those sub-9 second cars.

The concept of laying down $100K and buying into a 9-10 second car and it being impressive is pathetic. There are a lot of very soft hands around here.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
You off your meds @motorhead ? You're not the only one that doesn't give a flying whatever LOL. Not sure why you're even in the conversation with an 11 second M6 (if you're lucky).

The rest of us 9 second guys will be over here toasting to others' success.

I did see one impressive "street" car at Street Car Takeover in Bowling Green back in August. Twin Turbo 1969 Nova I believe it was. Ran 8.50s or better and did it over and over and over in 95 degree heat. It was a very nice car indeed, but that was NOT the norm.

Now back to the topic at hand, what IS stock. I'll throw my opine out there. Tires, who cares. Dodge had a professional track prep company and paid Lord knows what to get the stock Nittos that had to be specially created for the Demon to meet all the regs, they'd not have needed that so stock tires is moot for me.

Weight....well I'd say set it up like the car that broke the record if you really wanna call it the record. I believe it was a one seat optioned car. Can't fault Leah for being dainty. If you wanna try to split hairs and remove weight because you weigh 250, well, I'd say go find a smaller stature driver to run your car for the record and if you decide to go it yourself, list exactly what was removed and how much it weighed.

My .02 cents no change for the 5.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Lets add another perspective to what you stated. The 69 Camaro you talked about was about a $20K build. And I'm being very generous. The Demon $100K 1 second difference between them, and 30 years of technology!
True, but you have to admit 20,000 then is close to 30,000 now.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I will say I like that pyramid response diagram. And I will also say, I try to include every level of response in every response. "You asshats."

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I have a really important opinion I want to share too, cause I’m also kind of a big deal on the internet...

I don’t think any of the Demons that have broken a record we’re $100k... the most competitive Demons would have been $85k. There has never been any street car available from any dealer that runs down the 1/4 as quick as the Demon. Not even close. So, regardless of who runs it, the fact remains that the car and the accomplishment have never been done before and will not happen again for less than $100k. It is what it is, impressive. I don’t give a shit how high and mighty someone is, what they build, what they buy, what they’ve seen, the Demon is literally in a league of its own.

Fuck the haters:cool:

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
You all are ridiculous. Good read!

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
I have a really important opinion I want to share too, cause I’m also kind of a big deal on the internet...

I don’t think any of the Demons that have broken a record we’re $100k... the most competitive Demons would have been $85k. There has never been any street car available from any dealer that runs down the 1/4 as quick as the Demon. Not even close. So, regardless of who runs it, the fact remains that the car and the accomplishment have never been done before and will not happen again for less than $100k. It is what it is, impressive. I don’t give a shit how high and mighty someone is, what they build, what they buy, what they’ve seen, the Demon is literally in a league of its own.

I don't like those damn Red Eyes either! LOL

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
I will say I like that pyramid response diagram. And I will also say, I try to include every level of response in every response. "You asshats."
It would be like me suggesting @Speedy! change the name of his YouTurd channel from Speedy's Garage to Speedy Safe Space. But, that would be beneath me; still accurate, but unfair. However, I do wonder how much time he spends on his hair before firing up the GoPro...

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle

Don't you mean hate the fuckers?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I don't like those damn Red Eyes either! LOL
Stop drinking so much, less red eyes.

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I did see one impressive "street" car at Street Car Takeover in Bowling Green back in August. Twin Turbo 1969 Nova I believe it was. Ran 8.50s or better and did it over and over and over in 95 degree heat. It was a very nice car indeed, but that was NOT the norm.

I have a similar T/T build going using a 70 GTO body on a full custom frame. Hi 7 second capable, but caged for 8.50's.

FE1.jpg