Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

New Hurricane 3.0 Inline 6 - 500+ HP

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Not anymore. It was a replacement for a Golf Sportwagen Alltrack. A great little car, but I never really became friends with it. So about a month ago I decided that a GT AWD Challenger would be a better winter/all-weather beater.

Its direct lineage is Ram 1500 (ultra boring), Trackhawk (not as ideal as I thought), the VW (just kinda boring), and now the V6 Challenger. And I'm very happy with the V6 so far. It does out-handle the 'Cat.

As an added bonus, the cops will think I'm suddenly driving slowly on purpose. In reality, I'm going as fast as the V6 allows. They'll get a reality check soon, now that the roads are drying up and the 'Cat can come out again.
My brother had two different V6 Challengers....a 2010 SE Challenger and then a 2014 SXT Challenger. He really liked both of them! He put over 80K miles on one and the other over 45K miles.

I'm not here to bash ya for getting one! -When you think about it, you gotta love the (slightly) cheaper insurance and regular unleaded gas! I've actually considered getting a GT AWD....then I could drive it year round here in the northern states. BUT - I can't give up the Redeye myself...

(plus I have a 4 banger Pontiac Vibe I drive that is decent on gas and can be the rust victim with all the salt/brine they throw around here)

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
And in some truck applications back in the day...turbos over 671 blowers...
That's because they were 2 stroke diesels.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I've had a few turbo cars and the only one that was worth a shit was a CC R- Line VW.

I had a turbo Z back in the day & it was a lot of fun, so was my Daytona Turbo. Not much HP by today's standards, but for the late 80's they were fast !

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
That's because they were 2 stroke diesels.
Yup...made power...but not very efficient...

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I had a turbo Z back in the day & it was a lot of fun, so was my Daytona Turbo. Not much HP by today's standards, but for the late 80's they were fast !
In 93...had a twin turbo mazda RX7 ...made decent power and was a fun little car...

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
I think we are all looking at this wrong. There once was a legendary inline six, the 2JZ. Yes it had it's NA applications but those were trash. The 2jz-gte with the twin turbo goodness. I'm actually excited because take off the crappy turbos from the factory, throw some good one on there and we are off to the races. If anyone in here thinks a twin turbo 2jz is trash... yeah might wanna read up on the accomplishments of those supras that will still wipe the floor with most hellcats. I think we should give it a chance, lets see what Dodge will do and hope they don't disappoint.

I'm excited to see where this goes, pair with an 8hp95 like in the trackhawks and man imagine those launches on a two step... i'm getting a chubby just thinking about it.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
I think we are all looking at this wrong. There once was a legendary inline six, the 2JZ. Yes it had it's NA applications but those were trash. The 2jz-gte with the twin turbo goodness. I'm actually excited because take off the crappy turbos from the factory, throw some good one on there and we are off to the races. If anyone in here thinks a twin turbo 2jz is trash... yeah might wanna read up on the accomplishments of those supras that will still wipe the floor with most hellcats. I think we should give it a chance, lets see what Dodge will do and hope they don't disappoint.

I'm excited to see where this goes, pair with an 8hp95 like in the trackhawks and man imagine those launches on a two step... i'm getting a chubby just thinking about it.
Great point.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Yup...made lots of noise...but not very efficient...
There, I fixed it for you.

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
I wonder is the 3.0 high output will fit in that Dart. That’d be my new daily 😆😄. 500hp Dart 3300 pounds I like that power to weight.. just do a wheel swap.. Dart SRT some little bulged out wheel flares maybe an All Black Edition type thing Black mesh grill etc.. and cost 45K so you get base c8 corvette straight line performance in a little sleeper pile of poop for half the cost. Maybe throw laguna leather seats in it I’m sold hah…

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
I wonder is the 3.0 high output will fit in that Dart. That’d be my new daily 😆😄. 500hp Dart 3300 pounds I like that power to weight.. just do a wheel swap.. Dart SRT some little bulged out wheel flares maybe an All Black Edition type thing Black mesh grill etc.. and cost 45K so you get base c8 corvette straight line performance in a little sleeper pile of poop for half the cost. Maybe throw laguna leather seats in it I’m sold hah…
Are you gonna go back to 2016 to make this mythical SRT Dart? 😜 Belvedere makes Cherokees now.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
So the wagoneer V8 gets trounced by this I-6?

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
My buddy who is testing the wagoneers said they are a little laggy on the bottom end but really get up and go.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I had a twin turbo that was bad ass. No weight at all. Supra.

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
There's no doubt that there's almost unlimited power to be made with turbos. It's the complexity and longevity that are my concerns.

The maintenance costs, along with the increased additional parts costs just don't appeal to me.

It comes back to the old adage: "Speed costs money, how fast do I want to go?"

My 2 cents, (4 cents with the current inflation).

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
For something like a Jeep, SXT Challenger/Charger, I'm all for this. I'd probably not want to be an early adopter unless it came with a very good warranty and that would mean NO MODS either, but for those cars a bump in power would be a good thing. My wife's Infiniti Q60 Red Sport makes 400HP with a TT V6 and it's very nice. We've had it 3 years and knock on wood no problems.

However, the problem is going to be for enthusiasts like us. We want a V8 option and if that isn't offered, a lot of us will go to another brand that does offer it. Just is what it is and I'm afraid Stellantis is mis-reading their demographic. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll sell enough non-performance models to make up for it, but they've pretty much banked on the "Brotherhood of Muscle" for the past 5 years or so now and been wildly successful.

In a Challenger I'm afraid we'd have this:

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #56
Are you gonna go back to 2016 to make this mythical SRT Dart? 😜 Belvedere makes Cherokees now.
Same platform.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
Sure, but that means less than you'd think. Mostly a few dimensions and some hard points. When Cherokee production moved from Toledo to Belvedere they didn't just flip a switch and start making Cherokees, they had to invest $350M to retool. Cherokee has/had more in common with the also extinct 200 than it did with the Dart.

Last edited:
OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #58
Sure, but that means less than you'd think. Mostly a few dimensions and some hard points. When Cherokee production moved from Toledo to Belvedere they didn't just flip a switch and start making Cherokees, they had to invest $350M to retool. Cherokee has/had more in common with the also extinct 200 than it did with the Dart.
Same platform.