Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

New Hurricane 3.0 Inline 6 - 500+ HP

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Another engine/vehicle combo optimized for the EPA test-loop.

But at least it costs more with additional complexity and higher running costs. It's got that going for it.;)

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Zero interest in a turbo anything. It's a cheap crappy short term bandaid. Initial performance will be ok but as time passes they'll (the turbos) blow up with relatively low miles. Look at Ford's junk Eco Boost. Major issues abound.

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Zero interest in a turbo anything. It's a cheap crappy short term bandaid. Initial performance will be ok but as time passes they'll (the turbos) blow up with relatively low miles. Look at Ford's junk Eco Boost. Major issues abound.
My Step Fathers EcoBoost 4 banger Mustang went Ecoboom late last year. Though it was a 2015, it only had like 10K on it.
Car has been in the shop for weeks for new engine/turbo. They told him turbo was on back order for only 2 weeks and now they say 6+ weeks.

I pretty much had turbo cars my entire life up until I got the Hellcat. I think things were different then vs turbos now. I don’t think the super mass produced turbo setups for the base/mid model cars are built for the test of time. Might be better on the higher end models; I appreciate the new Ford GT, but don’t have interest in one with the V6 TT. Not like I could afford one anyway.

I’m more of the purist, and even through the masses don’t give a crap what’s under the hood, they may care after that powertrain warranty is up and they’re replacing turbo oil/coolant lines or are running into emissions issues which won’t even pass a state inspection.

I don’t know…guess I have little faith in this company creating a new I6TT; unless they’re teaming up with BMW like the new BMW Supra partnership.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Zero interest in a turbo anything. It's a cheap crappy short term bandaid. Initial performance will be ok but as time passes they'll (the turbos) blow up with relatively low miles.
On the other hand, turbos do well and last for hundreds of thousands of miles in trucks.
And when they used blowers, those were on top of 2-strokes.

We really shouldn't allow Furd to give turbos a bad name.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
That engine would need to have some sort of proven reliability before I'd even consider it as an option, much less pay extra for it.

-For reference, just look at a few Toyota Forums and see how well the new twin turbo V6's are working out on the new redesigned '22 Tundra's. Lots of folks have theirs sitting in the shop with turbo issues without any improved parts available. Plus it seems gas mileage is just barely better than the I Force 5.7 V8's they replaced. You place these small displacement 6 cylinders in heavier vehicles and expect decent gas mileage...think again.

I will admit though, 500 hp out of a 3.0 liter engine is pretty impressive. But OTOH, I don't see these twin turbo 6's going over 100K miles trouble free like a lot of V8's do.....but we'll see....
Infiniti struggled for 4 years to keep the TT 3.0 RedSport 400 from eating it's turbo's (it puts out 400hp). We have had no issues with our '19, but it has the new, upgraded, larger turbo's + it's the wife's car and doesn't see really hard use. It does require premium gas tho !!

No way would I buy (at a premium price no less) a new TT anything !

Agreed. I'll be curious to see what the EPA ratings end up being and then what people get in the real world. My ET Hemi didn't get any better mileage than a standard Hemi in my experience (and a lot of other's), but Fuely.com does show a small but measurable difference in the averages between the two.
Using the wife's car again, it weighs 700/800 lbs less than my Cat and makes just over 1/2 the HP but only manages about 2 mpg better o_O

On the old Mustang forum they were being referred to as the EcoBoom engine, lots of the early ones went poof with low miles.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Using the wife's car again, it weighs 700/800 lbs less than my Cat and makes just over 1/2 the HP but only manages about 2 mpg better o_O
Funny that you bring that up. While I don't have enough miles on it yet for a fair comparison, my new V6 Challenger weighs about 500 lbs. less than the 'Cat, and has less than half the horsepower.

Despite that, I'm not convinced that I can equal the mpg numbers of the 'Cat. Then again, I have yet to get better mileage than my girlfriend gets in her Redeye.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Could be fun in a relatively inexpensive 3,500 lb vehicle.
So now we're getting excited bout 500 HP...when did we go back to 2005...

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
So now we're getting excited bout 500 HP...when did we go back to 2005...
Only if the car weighed 1000lb less.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Only if the car weighed 1000lb less.
So you want to put it in a pinto....

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Funny that you bring that up. While I don't have enough miles on it yet for a fair comparison, my new V6 Challenger weighs about 500 lbs. less than the 'Cat, and has less than half the horsepower.

Despite that, I'm not convinced that I can equal the mpg numbers of the 'Cat. Then again, I have yet to get better mileage than my girlfriend gets in her Redeye.
It’s def not just Ford although i agree on the giant engines they last longer. But those are purpose built for utility. I would think performance based turbos will eat themselves up pretty quickly. You are more than welcome to be the guinea pig when they come out lol. Please report back when you get near 50,000 miles so the rest of us can decide whether or not to buy an EV lol.

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
As long as the next gen SRT's aren't loaded up with hybridized batteries, it's a good bet it will be significantly lighter than they are now.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8

What made you buy a V6 Challenger? Are you doing penance or something?

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
It’s def not just Ford although i agree on the giant engines they last longer. But those are purpose built for utility. I would think performance based turbos will eat themselves up pretty quickly. You are more than welcome to be the guinea pig when they come out lol. Please report back when you get near 50,000 miles so the rest of us can decide whether or not to buy an EV lol.
We have @ChargerChallenger here for that. :)

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
What made you buy a V6 Challenger? Are you doing penance or something?
Not anymore. It was a replacement for a Golf Sportwagen Alltrack. A great little car, but I never really became friends with it. So about a month ago I decided that a GT AWD Challenger would be a better winter/all-weather beater.

Its direct lineage is Ram 1500 (ultra boring), Trackhawk (not as ideal as I thought), the VW (just kinda boring), and now the V6 Challenger. And I'm very happy with the V6 so far. It does out-handle the 'Cat.

As an added bonus, the cops will think I'm suddenly driving slowly on purpose. In reality, I'm going as fast as the V6 allows. They'll get a reality check soon, now that the roads are drying up and the 'Cat can come out again.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #35
I've had a few turbo cars and the only one that was worth a shit was a CC R- Line VW.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Hell yes! They were about 2,200 lbs. Would be like a Helliphant in a Challenger power to weight wise.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
He's become the Joel Olstein of the Forum...religiously gives us evaluations of all that's holy..and the temptations of the unholy blue oval...

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Hell yes! They were about 2,200 lbs. Would be like a Helliphant in a Challenger power to weight wise.
Hmmmm make em in Mexico instead of Canada...call it the Mopinto..and release it on Cinco De Mayo...1000 HP...2200 lbs....limited to 2000 units...buyers must be illegal aliens..and all the controls are in Spanish...

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
..and all the controls are in Spanish...
Some of the stuff on the touch screen might as well be.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
On the other hand, turbos do well and last for hundreds of thousands of miles in trucks.
And when they used blowers, those were on top of 2-strokes.

We really shouldn't allow Furd to give turbos a bad name.
And in some truck applications back in the day...turbos over 671 blowers...