Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Need advice on fighting the dreaded steering wheel vibration

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #101
Yeah the g force just slip those panties right off:geek:
Just wait until the next Top Gun comes out...

Delayed a year due to COVID.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Yeah the g force just slip those panties right off:geek:
@AeroF16, how does the G-string do with G forces? Enough of the tire stuff 😂🤣😅🤣😂😅.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #103
But you can indeed balance out the force from the road. Again, that's the whole idea with Road Force balancing.
I'm going to agree to disagree about that but I respect your knowledge and expertise, seeing as you own one haha. We're just saying two different things.

Now let's talk about boobs!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Hellcatcfp, you do know that the plans for an electric Challenger have been shelved, right?
Turns out that the Battery Charger had more appeal. Much more.

Last edited:
OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #105
@AeroF16, how does the G-string do with G forces? Enough of the tire stuff 😂🤣😅🤣😂😅.
Anything up to 5Gs is pretty tolerable, not a lot of extra effort involved.

5-7.5Gs takes a little effort. Most untrained people pass out around here.

7.5 - 9.0+ sucks. You are literally fighting for your life to stay awake and not pass out. Why not just let off the G? Because your enemy is trying to kill you. You need to max perform your aircraft, up to your body limits, to kill as quickly as possible.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcatcfp, you do know that the plans for an electric Challenger have been shelved, right?
Turns out the the Battery Charger had more appeal. Much more.
tenor (1).gif

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Your going to give @1971demon a death wish damn she can ride in my Taxi anytime all the time.
Two occupations I always thought would be fun..cab driver..and bartender..BTW..as usual way to go Troop(y)(y)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Took Hellcat to get tires looked at for my vibration issues at 80 mph. They balanced each again and happy to say vibration is gone, or at least so minimal I cannot tell. So, I am assuming every time I rotate I will also get them balanced as well. Will keep thread updated at i get more miles on them.

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #110
Took Hellcat to get tires looked at for my vibration issues at 80 mph. They balanced each again and happy to say vibration is gone, or at least so minimal I cannot tell. So, I am assuming every time I rotate I will also get them balanced as well. Will keep thread updated at i get more miles on them.
Good news!

Did they rotate the tires at all or just balance? Rotating a bad tire from the front to the rear is what made my vibration change significantly (for the better). Replacing the two rear tires is what made it go away completely.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Good news!

Did they rotate the tires at all or just balance? Rotating a bad tire from the front to the rear is what made my vibration change significantly (for the better). Replacing the two rear tires is what made it go away completely.
I told them not to as the dealership already did the rotation. They said Hunter Elite machine wasn't needed for any of them. Said a couple needed some weights and that was that. Back to smooth again (for now 😅🤣😂).

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #112
I told them not to as the dealership already did the rotation. They said Hunter Elite machine wasn't needed for any of them. Said a couple needed some weights and that was that. Back to smooth again (for now 😅🤣😂).
That's great that they were able to get you squared away. I would continue doing business with them for tires!

I took my car in for the V86 recall. Pre-purchased 3 oil changes for $165, which was a great deal ($55/ea). I'd usually do this myself but was a few hundred miles away from needing one and they were going to have the car anyways.

I pick it up and he tells me about the complementary tire rotation. Really nice of them, other than the fact that I had rotated the tires like 7 days prior! I haven't looked to see how they rotated them, hopefully I don't have to re-do it this weekend. Luckily I can still see the wax from the white crayon I used to mark them on the inside of the wheel.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
My 2 new tires almost look and feel like completely different tires to the touch. My old tires, which are 3 months old, seem very "hardened" compared to the new tires.

Not sure if that's normal or not with such minimal usage at such a young age.

My PS4Ss changed pretty radically from their virgin state to after having driven on them.

Those first couple of heat cycles have a noticeable affect on them. The compound goes from feeling almost like wet gum to normal tire-like.

And was that you pulling the Gs in the amusement park ride?

;)

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
My PS4Ss changed pretty radically from their virgin state to after having driven on them.

Those first couple of heat cycles have a noticeable affect on them. The compound goes from feeling almost like wet gum to normal tire-like.

And was that you pulling the Gs in the amusement park ride?

;)
Noticed the PS4s change like that as well. Tire place is nice and seem to know what they are doing. Will get tires balanced each time I get them rotated, perhaps that is the answer?

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Just a shot in the dark, but my 06 SRT Charger had this issue. Turned out to be the inner tie rod ends. Went with MOOG and that fixed it.

Bob

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
@AeroF16, my vibration is gone but I do notice at 80-85 mph more road force is noticable/felt. Perhaps to be expected vs 65 mph, but just an observation. Maybe a balance issue as well?

OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #117
@AeroF16, my vibration is gone but I do notice at 80-85 mph more road force is noticable/felt. Perhaps to be expected vs 65 mph, but just an observation. Maybe a balance issue as well?
My thoughts are the balance changes where you feel the vibrations.

Everytime I had them balance the tires, the vibration changed a bit with regards to the speed I noticed it at.

Funny, I typed this up earlier and deleted it, hoping you just had found your happy spot with your car. My car is perfect, at all speeds, so it is attainable.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
My thoughts are the balance changes where you feel the vibrations.

Everytime I had them balance the tires, the vibration changed a bit with regards to the speed I noticed it at.

Funny, I typed this up earlier and deleted it, hoping you just had found your happy spot with your car. My car is perfect, at all speeds, so it is attainable.
Thought had crossed my mind for sure.

Last edited:
OP
A

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #119
I spoke to Pirelli today about my A/S tires. They said they will auto warranty 2 of the 4. So I just go to Discount, have them find the 2 worst tires, replace them, then send the others back for warranty.

I'd do the same with your MP4S tires, no reason to settle.

I was almost hopeless about resolving the issue, now I can't believe how smooth my car rides. Don't settle.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I bet the gals wood like it better than the dryer.