Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

MY TRANSMISSION REPAIR 8hp90

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #121
ROY TOLD ME WITH WAHT HE IS SENDING ME THAT I WILL BE ABLE TO GET THE CLEARANCE CORRECT WITHOUT ANY MACHINING ,HE JUST ASKED ME TO LET HIM KNOW HOW I STACK IT TO ACHIEVE MY SET UP

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #122
HERES THE PUMP BOLT KIT I SPOKE ABOUT THAT YOU WILL NEED IF EVER REMOVING THE PUMP BECAUSE THEY ONE TIME USE ,THERE IS ALSO A PROPER TORQUE PROCEDURE WHEN INSTALLING THEM ,
IN ORDER TO SEAT THE OIL PUMP ASSY PROPERLU TIGHTEN BOLTS 1,7 AND 9 TO6 N.M ( 53 INCH LBS) ,THEN WORKING CLOCKWISE PATTERN BEGINNING WITH NUMBER 1 TIGHTEN TO10 N.M( 89 INCH LBS ) THEN WORKING IN A CLOCK WISE PATTERN TIGHTEN AN ADDITIONAL 90 DEGREES
As you can see the bolt kit comes with new from seal and input shaft oring image.jpg 3399EE25-7961-42B1-9422-FBAA2377A468.jpeg

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Great thread, its been a very interesting read. Can't wait to see the final outcome and result.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
HERES THE PUMP BOLT KIT I SPOKE ABOUT THAT YOU WILL NEED IF EVER REMOVING THE PUMP BECAUSE THEY ONE TIME USE ,THERE IS ALSO A PROPER TORQUE PROCEDURE WHEN INSTALLING THEM ,
IN ORDER TO SEAT THE OIL PUMP ASSY PROPERLU TIGHTEN BOLTS 1,7 AND 9 TO6 N.M ( 53 INCH LBS) ,THEN WORKING CLOCKWISE PATTERN BEGINNING WITH NUMBER 1 TIGHTEN TO10 N.M( 89 INCH LBS ) THEN WORKING IN A CLOCK WISE PATTERN TIGHTEN AN ADDITIONAL 90 DEGREES
As you can see the bolt kit comes with new from seal and input shaft oring View attachment 7510 View attachment 7511

Now this is getting really interesting, someone with the skill set to perform the work is working directly with manufacturers trying to improve the longevity of the parts. Just maybe I can get a few more tenths outta my old girl with these parts. We may have another A8 vendor here in the making.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Now this is getting really interesting, someone with the skill set to perform the work is working directly with manufacturers trying to improve the longevity of the parts. Just maybe I can get a few more tenths outta my old girl with these parts. We may have another A8 vendor here in the making.
I second this!

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Keep up the good work. Not sure how I missed this thread.

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #127
In case you tackle one of these transmissions yourself you will need theses adapt a case sleeves to remove the c d and e clutches from the aluminum shells without them you will break the shells don’t kid your self thinking you can do it with out them
Also you remove the rings a 180 degrees from the ring opening 8E502785-0599-48E3-AD3C-C4CD243C79C6.jpeg F53BA568-A60D-44B8-B9AB-BFAFF1352537.jpeg

Last edited:

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
In case you tackle one of these transmissions yourself you will need theses adapt a case sleeves to remove the c d and e clutches from the aluminum shells without them you will break the shells don’t kid your self thinking you can donut with out them
Also you remove the rings a 180 degrees from the ring opening View attachment 7514 View attachment 7515
The right tools for the right job !

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk

Marine121

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Georgetown
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Great read thanks for sharing your experience

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Tackle this myself, LOL I'm bringing it you you @hellno LOL

I noticed that as well I’m going to see if curt is willing to change the tune But what concerns me is if you go in change shift pressures in one clutch you might also be Changing shift timing as in the time between one clutch releasing and the other clutch applying not enough and you have overlap ( bind up) too much and you have a clutch releasing and the other clutche not coming on fast enough would cause a flair up which in both circumstances can cause clutch burn up so I think all clutch pressure would need to be changed together
What I'm seeing in the tune, shift pressure and shift timing, aka fill time, are two different settings per gear.

I did some testing today. FYI, standard Hellcat doesn't like Redeye torque converter settings. Felt like some kinda weird stall converter. I'm trying to get my "normal" mode shifts at WOT to have the same firmness as I have in "Sport". So far no dice. Gonna have to ask Mike.

I'm also wondering how much shift pressure is enough but not too much. Need to hear from folks with experience. In some cases in the tune "performance" is less than "sport" and some it's more.

I also learned Demon and Redeye trans tunes are identical from what I'm seeing and I didn't see any difference in Demon standard vs Demon crate either for trans stuff.

I think the benchmark for trans durability is Demonology. He had over 700 passes stock and Lord knows how many now at 1000HP+ and the guy races the car at least 3 nights a week.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I think the benchmark for trans durability is Demonology. He had over 700 passes stock and Lord knows how many now at 1000HP+ and the guy races the car at least 3 nights a week
Amazing.

Oh yea....you put the RE in with a 'regular' hellcat tranny, correct? So now your basically trying to retro tune the tranny to RE specs and no good?

Last edited:
OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #133

I’m curious about the demon trans information myself, the demon stall should give even lower 60fts

What I'm seeing in the tune, shift pressure and shift timing, aka fill time, are two different settings per gear.

I did some testing today. FYI, standard Hellcat doesn't like Redeye torque converter settings. Felt like some kinda weird stall converter. I'm trying to get my "normal" mode shifts at WOT to have the same firmness as I have in "Sport". So far no dice. Gonna have to ask Mike.

I'm also wondering how much shift pressure is enough but not too much. Need to hear from folks with experience. In some cases in the tune "performance" is less than "sport" and some it's more.

I also learned Demon and Redeye trans tunes are identical from what I'm seeing and I didn't see any difference in Demon standard vs Demon crate either for trans stuff.

I think the benchmark for trans durability is Demonology. He had over 700 passes stock and Lord knows how many now at 1000HP+ and the guy races the car at least 3 nights a week.

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #134
But my trans was shifting very firm before I damage it but the future is looking bright with possible 9.2s

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat

That makes 2 of us going to visit him when the time comes

OP
hellno

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thread Starter #136
Speedy keeps messing with that trans tune he might be seeing me more sooner then later 😂😂

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
Thanks for this! Brings back memories hanging out at my friends dad's transmission shop as a teen, helping to re & re tranny's just to learn stuff like this. My friend eventually took over from his dad and is still in busines, but now mostly just takes on local MB dealer work farmed out to him.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Lol I'm not doing anything crazy. Just moving settings from sport to normal. Mike taught me not to exceed max settings from the OEM. I may have found what's needed. It looks like line pressure is just one variable.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle