Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Mobil 1FS VS Pennzoil Pure Plus.. Oil Difference

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Valvoline has a 0w-40 that meets FCA spec.
I’ve noticed that although the product information sheet says it does, but the bottles don’t. I emailed Valvoline for confirmation but never got a reply.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
I’ve noticed that although the product information sheet says it does, but the bottles don’t. I emailed Valvoline for confirmation but never got a reply.
That is strange...good to know jroyk.

Tannehill

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
New castle
State
DE
Country
United States
I'm not arguing the craziness of the oil thing, but am fairly certain there HAS been occurrences of people having warranty work denied on engine issues because they either A) could not produce receipts they did changes within 6mths/6000 miles; and/or B) they could not show the appropriate SRT Pennzoil Ultra Platinum was used.

You may be in the right and feel it is not your duty to prove negligence, but FCA tells the dealer whether work is going to be covered/reimbursed after the dealer submits the paperwork. If their answer is No, it's not being covered until YOU fight and prove otherwise. So from there, it's on you to get the lawyer, etc. etc.

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
@Tannehill
I knew a guy who had their warranty work denied because he was screwing the Service Manager's daughter. ;) A dealer can deny warranty work for any reason they want to. Doesn't make it right.

Choosing a Dealer is just as, if not more important than choosing your vehicle. There are so many corrupt/bad Dealers out there.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Valvoline has a 0w-40 that meets FCA spec.
Wow, was just at Walmart buying oil for my truck. I didn’t notice the Valvoline with Chrysler spec but wasn’t really looking either.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Had a 392 Charger and used Mobil 1 FS. Changed every 5000 miles. When I got rid of it for the Cat it had 75,000 miles and never any issues. Never had any tests on the oil but I'd have no issues or 2nd thoughts of using it again.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Wow, was just at Walmart buying oil for my truck. I didn’t notice the Valvoline with Chrysler spec but wasn’t really looking either.
It’s got to be their Advanced Full Synthetic 0W-40.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
As long as you are using a QUALITY oil there should not be a problem caused by oil.

Manufacturers change specifications all the time. Just check out the German manufacturers for instance. LOL
The same brand/grade of oil but different specs. on older models you can use the newer spec but not the other way around.
My store is a Castrol distributer and for years we couldn't get 0w40 for BMW's because it was a deal the manufacturer's had.

Mobil 1 was the oil spec'd on older SRT models.
That changed for whatever reason or conspiracy theory in 2015.
Oil spec's get upgraded all the time and are not usually backwards compatible for warranty reasons.
So the argument of, well it was good enough before so it has to be good now. Doesn't change the way the manufacturer looks at it.
I know the Magnusson moss act, Blah Blah.
Someone would still have to go through a fair amount of grief and time/money to fight it if it was an issue. While the car sits waiting for the issue to resolved.

I know people who use the cheapest filters and cheapest oils then extend oil changes and do not have any oil related problems over many miles.
They always laugh at me for spending more money on better quality oil/filter and changing early.
I also don't have oil related issues. So in there eyes I am wrong. There will always be different points of views.

If you are comfortable knowing that in the unlikely event of a mechanical failure,
You may have issues with warranty for the oil used. This is not for sure what will happen but a possibility.
Oils have become less and less universal in the automotive industry, at least spec wise, as has coolant and other fluids/lubricants.

While under warranty I choose to take the easy route and use what is spec'd. Even though mobil 1 or Castrol or whatever good oil would/should be fine.

Back in 2015 when I bought my first Ram it required a ms6395 spec oil. Mobil1 did not have it listed so I called them.
I was told at the moment they did not have an oil meeting that spec and suggested for warranty purposes to use an oil tat did meet that spec.
Even though there would not be an issue using their oil.

I am just sharing my view and or info that I have.
Please don't turn it into another argument. We all have our views and that is fine.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Well they’re phasing out ultra platinum.. so does any other oil products even use the term 12633? Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t that only on the SRT version of the oil? Which has been discontinued like over a year.. even this.. View attachment 21127 I use this on the charger.. and on the label it doesn’t say it’s rated ms12633 but some say this is better than the SRT ultra plat or whatever..
Amsoil has it. I normally go 10,000 or a summer on the same oil
https://www.amsoil.com/p/signature-...MLl_ystBGNCqAc3dgeGRTOw2AVn-J1DBoCQUgQAvD_BwE