Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Mobil 1FS VS Pennzoil Pure Plus.. Oil Difference

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Hello guys... just wondering who here has experience using Mobil 1 FS in their hellcat/392/Demon ETC.. my last oil change I recommended to my mechanic Pennzoil Pure Plus.. apparently for some reason he said he couldn’t find it so he used Mobil 1 FS.. my Redeye has about 5000 miles now.. I’ll probably run that oil 4000 miles or so before next time I specify better use the Pure Plus Pennzoil which I tend to prefer??? Let the debate begin.. I don’t want speculation here.. I’d like to here people that actually say used Mobil 1 FS or another brand and have had some oil changes? Notice any difference? Thoughts?

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #2
I read some threads people have said oh the zinc, phosphorus is a little high? Or it’s on the low end of a 40 weight oil? The Mobil 1 FS that is... And like there is 3x the moly in the Pennzoil or whatever.. lol.. is any FS really adequate for a STOCK hellcat.. I’m not drag racing or tracking the car. Some people just state the fact that back in 2012 and prior Mobil 1 was FCA oil of choice for there vehicles... also anyone know if the Mobil 1 FS oil formula has improved? A lot of these old forum discussions were like 2016-2018...

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Run both and let us know 😆 🤣 😂. Seriously though, Pennzoil is phasing out the Ultra line (I think?). Can't go wrong with either IMHO. I'll keep my eyes open for any info though (as I like that type of stuff). Alternatively, Valvoline now has an FCA approved 0w-40...might consider going that route?

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
1596117969312.png

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Here is my PUP 0W-40 UOA for comparison.

Attachments

Tannehill

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
New castle
State
DE
Country
United States
The longstanding debate hasn't been whether Mobil 1 is god enough, it's been the fear that some have heard if there is an issue with your vehicle during warranty related to the drivetrain that they will request evidence of oil changes and that you used the appropriate Pennzoil oil. If not on schedule and using Pennzoil they will turn down warranty work.

The debate is whether using Mobil 1 vs Pennzoil is a Magnuson Moss Act issue.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
The longstanding debate hasn't been whether Mobil 1 is god enough, it's been the fear that some have heard if there is an issue with your vehicle during warranty related to the drivetrain that they will request evidence of oil changes and that you used the appropriate Pennzoil oil. If not on schedule and using Pennzoil they will turn down warranty work.

The debate is whether using Mobil 1 vs Pennzoil is a Magnuson Moss Act issue.
So your saying if you have an issue, drain the oil and put Pennzoil in it? 😂😁.. then take to the dealer.. oh I just had my oil changed a little while back..

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
If a dealer ever asks you for evidence of oil changes run for the hills. This is a sure sign of a ignorant crooked ass Dealer. It is "Never" your responsibility to prove anything. The responsibility of proof relies solely on them to prove negligence for failure.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
i Doubt they’d do a scientific evaluation on the oil type even if something happened.. just be like yeah I’ve used the Pennzoil.. what are they going to say your a liar because we found traces of additional additives.. .00003 percent zinc is responsible for a blown engine lol, that extra potassium yup that will do it haha... etc..

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
People like to talk big about what they will do if warranty is denied but if you care about your warranty just use an oil the meets the manufacturer's specs for the vehicle and avoid any potential hassle. Once out or warranty use any magic juice you want.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I have been using the mobile one euro 0w-40 since the modifications about ten thousand miles ago.

Pretty sure if it was a major issue I'd have had an engine replacement or two by now

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
People like to talk big about what they will do if warranty is denied but if you care about your warranty just use an oil the meets the manufacturer's specs for the vehicle and avoid any potential hassle. Once out or warranty use any magic juice you want.
Agree 100%. Why give dealer/FCA anymore reason to hassle with a claim issue? I get we are in the right, but prefer not to spent $$$ (legal counsel) to prove it down the road if something comes up.

Heminized

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
New Smyrna Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger
That's one way to put it I guess.

For me it's know your rights and be willing to stand up for them...or bend over a barrel and take it up the whazoo.

I have reasons for not using Pennzoil, and FCA trying to strong arm me into using it didn't sit well with me at all.

But yes, if you are going to lose sleep at night because you didn't use an oil with the magical ms-12633 bs whoopla...Best to just stick with one that dues. :cautious:

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15

For me it's know your rights and be willing to stand up for them...or bend over a barrel and take it up the whazoo.

I have reasons for not using Pennzoil, and FCA trying to strong arm me into using it didn't sit well with me at all.

But yes, if you are going to lose sleep at night because you didn't use an oil with the magical ms-12633 bs whoopla...Best to just stick with one that dues. :cautious:
If you say it works for you HEMI and Fubar I think I’ll be fine too.. I didn’t specify to my mechanic use Pennzoil. But I did send him a pic this is what I use.. when he said he couldn’t find the Pennzoil.. like most other old motor heads.. he just used the Mobil 1 FS and said it should be as good or better than the Pennzoil.. and I think it’s safe to say from Hemi’s analysis it’s every bit as good as the Pennzoil

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #16

Well they’re phasing out ultra platinum.. so does any other oil products even use the term 12633? Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t that only on the SRT version of the oil? Which has been discontinued like over a year.. even this.. E6D9836F-A783-48DE-A0AD-FF8D693F2BD6.jpeg I use this on the charger.. and on the label it doesn’t say it’s rated ms12633 but some say this is better than the SRT ultra plat or whatever..

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Well they’re phasing out ultra platinum.. so does any other oil products even use the term 12633? Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t that only on the SRT version of the oil? Which has been discontinued like over a year.. even this.. View attachment 21127 I use this on the charger.. and on the label it doesn’t say it’s rated ms12633 but some say this is better than the SRT ultra plat or whatever..
Valvoline has a 0w-40 that meets FCA spec.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Well they’re phasing out ultra platinum.. so does any other oil products even use the term 12633? Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t that only on the SRT version of the oil? Which has been discontinued like over a year.. even this.. View attachment 21127 I use this on the charger.. and on the label it doesn’t say it’s rated ms12633 but some say this is better than the SRT ultra plat or whatever..
I believe that is formulated for extended drain intervals...very stout oil for sure.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
I believe that is formulated for extended drain intervals...very stout oil for sure.
Yeah, I’ll switch back over to the pure plus next change.. I cringed a bit when my mechanic said he used the Mobil 1.. I was firm with making sure he drained the oil cooler but didn’t specify make sure you use the pure plus pennz... but after seeing HEMI’s analysis I feel better.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yeah, I’ll switch back over to the pure plus next change.. I cringed a bit when my mechanic said he used the Mobil 1.. I was firm with making sure he drained the oil cooler but didn’t specify make sure you use the pure plus pennz... but after seeing HEMI’s analysis I feel better.
Mobil makes great oil IMHO...don't think twice about it.