Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Last Call

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
It's fun to make fun of these cars and look at Dodge like WTH are you thinking though :LOL: Having some mechanical additions like the drag mode features is a good thing and these models should have all had something special like that to set them a part IMO.

I'm not in to the electric motors have exhaust idea. Dodge marketing told me that was their plan at CDM and I told them they'd be laughed off the internet if they did that. The electric car does still have mechanical items on it though and they could certainly find a way for one of those items to make an actual mechanical sound. I mentioned something like cross cut gear sounds in my video on the Daytona. Comments seemed to like that idea, but not everyone wants to hear it so it'd have to be a sport mode or something that could be turned off and on somehow. I'm envisioning a straight cut gear on the side of the electric motor shaft that gets engaged when enabled and gives you a mechanical sounds that would actually change with motor RPM.
I actually thought that was what they were going to do. The SOURCE for their chambered exhaust should be a motor case or gear reducer. Now here is a big question. Is the supposed transmission and gear shifting an actual transmission? Or fake shifts like in a CV transmission. Fake shifts are something I would not be into. I am into the real or pure mechanical propertires that the device has.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
My neighbors hybrid Toyota has a sound like the Jetsons car. I like it because I can hear him and not accidentally walk out in front of him like you can with a Tesla.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I actually thought that was what they were going to do. The SOURCE for their chambered exhaust should be a motor case or gear reducer. Now here is a big question. Is the supposed transmission and gear shifting an actual transmission? Or fake shifts like in a CV transmission. Fake shifts are something I would not be into. I am into the real or pure mechanical propertires that the device has.
The transmission is a big "?". They're calling it "eRupt" so that leads me to believe it'll cut power momentarily and pretend to shift gears but we'll see.

Also, I also saw where insurance companies are starting to deny coverage on vehicles over 700HP. So that'll be interesting all the way around. Farmers is one of the first I've heard of.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The transmission is a big "?". They're calling it "eRupt" so that leads me to believe it'll cut power momentarily and pretend to shift gears but we'll see.

Also, I also saw where insurance companies are starting to deny coverage on vehicles over 700HP. So that'll be interesting all the way around. Farmers is one of the first I've heard of.
Farmers more than doubled our premium this past year. We changed.
Heck they refused coverage on our house because we live within 5 miles of the ocean.

Last edited:

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Yea, my guess is that there's going to be some kind of shock absorber /actuator type system that is going to push on the interior cabin tub/seats that simulates a shift. I don't think they would literally interrupt power delivery for a "real", "fake" shift.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Yea, my guess is that there's going to be some kind of shock absorber /actuator type system that is going to push on the interior cabin tub/seats that simulates a shift. I don't think they would literally interrupt power delivery for a "real", "fake" shift.
Oh Lawd. An amusement park ride.

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Oh Lawd. An amusement park ride.
Heck, I'm hoping for the 20 speed "Fast and Furious" fake shift mode.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
I just finally split off the Hellcat from my "regular" insurance on to Hagerty - they were happy to take my money, and I closed the gap value-risk I have been living with for less $ than I was paying. Only minor annoyance was they wouldn't go to the stated value I wanted without a lot of red tape, so I took the highest value they would go to with no additional info. needed.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I just finally split off the Hellcat from my "regular" insurance on to Hagerty - they were happy to take my money, and I closed the gap value-risk I have been living with for less $ than I was paying. Only minor annoyance was they wouldn't go to the stated value I wanted without a lot of red tape, so I took the highest value they would go to with no additional info. needed.

How much was that ?

Maybe via PM?

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Well I’m still with USAA and (for those eligible) I pay $170/month for 3 cars with very good coverage and maybe a $1000 deductible (might be $500, I don’t know).

Think it’s like $60 for the Hellcat, $60 for my BMW, and maybe $50 for the Jeep. I know a lot of people got frustrated with USAA because their customer service isn’t what it used to be but I have no issues with them.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
DONE with USAA after having them for almost 35 years, they aren't even close to the shadow of the company they were when I joined them in 1988.

I guarantee if you experience a total loss (coll or comp) with them it will settle for a fraction of what Hagerty's stated value policy would be (which you determine, subject to their approval).

I switched to GEICO a few years back and when I just ran my new Hellcat purchase through them, they wanted nearly 40% more than Hagerty with a stated value of $90K (it's brand new and unmodified so no additional supporting documents/receipts were required).

Comparing rates to a policy with a guaranteed cash value to one that isn't is apples and oranges. If you want to leave the value of your car to the insurance company and not have a guaranteed cash value policy, more power to you but come total loss (for whatever reason) the settlement will be a night and day difference...

I've previously insured high end cars and custom motorcycles with several different carriers including USAA, Foremost, etc. and even an actual cash value (ACV) policy, which would typically pay more than a standard policy in the event of a total loss, was incredibly problematic compared to a guaranteed cash value policy. I had a custom chopper insured at an ACV of $50K and when it was declared a total loss after a wreck they attempted to settle it for a fraction with both depreciation and comps that were beyond ridiculous. I had actually under-insured it at that value and after much angst, aggravation, etc. I got them to settle for the full amount of $50K. They did not offer a guaranteed cash value policy so ACV was the best I could do at the time...

Talking insurance rates is great...until you experience a loss, total or otherwise. That's when people find out the $78 or whatever dollars they "saved" a year cost them thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars, on a vehicle in this case which isn't going to made after the '23 model year and will be increasingly problematic to repair/restore/replace.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
DONE with USAA after having them for almost 35 years, they aren't even close to the shadow of the company they were when I joined them in 1988.

I guarantee if you experience a total loss (coll or comp) with them it will settle for a fraction of what Hagerty's stated value policy would be (which you determine, subject to their approval).

I switched to GEICO a few years back and when I just ran my new Hellcat purchase through them, they wanted nearly 40% more than Hagerty with a stated value of $90K (it's brand new and unmodified so no additional supporting documents/receipts were required).

Comparing rates to a policy with a guaranteed cash value to one that isn't is apples and oranges. If you want to leave the value of your car to the insurance company and not have a guaranteed cash value policy, more power to you but come total loss (for whatever reason) the settlement will be a night and day difference...

I've previously insured high end cars and custom motorcycles with several different carriers including USAA, Foremost, etc. and even an actual cash value (ACV) policy, which would typically pay more than a standard policy in the event of a total loss, was incredibly problematic compared to a guaranteed cash value policy. I had a custom chopper insured at an ACV of $50K and when it was declared a total loss after a wreck they attempted to settle it for a fraction with both depreciation and comps that were beyond ridiculous. I had actually under-insured it at that value and after much angst, aggravation, etc. I got them to settle for the full amount of $50K. They did not offer a guaranteed cash value policy so ACV was the best I could do at the time...

Talking insurance rates is great...until you experience a loss, total or otherwise. That's when people find out the $78 or whatever dollars they "saved" a year cost them thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars, on a vehicle in this case which isn't going to made after the '23 model year and will be increasingly problematic to repair/restore/replace.
I totaled a vehicle with them a few years back. Lady pulled out in front of me on a rainy night and I T-boned the heck out of her. Luckily nobody was hurt.

Had no issues with them giving me an acceptable value for the car. No fighting, no haggling, no nothing. What they offered was very fair and easily would’ve replaced my car with an exact replica.

Also used them for a homeowners claim when we got hit by a tornado. The process and service was pretty good and, again, had no issues with them trying to go cheap on me.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
My Hellcat is with Hagerty on an agreed value policy and has been since new. I insured it for what I bought it for, I probably need to bump that up a bit.

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
@AeroF16, again, apples and oranges...

Was the vehicle you totaled a '92 Corolla or a '16 Hellcat? You're NOT (not opinion, fact) saving any money on physical damage (coll or comp) by not insuring a vehicle as valuable as the Hellcat (or other similar specialty vehicles) by going with a standard policy, or even an ACV policy for that matter.

If I were to add my Hellcat to my GEICO policy not only would it be more expensive but the payout in the event of a total loss would quite literally be close to $20K different. I go to the movies the week after it's delivered and it gets stolen, doesn't get recovered in a month and they'd pay be $70K MAYBE, at best, kicking and screaming the whole time as they talk to me about depreciation, etc. With Hagerty, (or any other company offering guaranteed replacement cost coverage) in addition to saving nearly 40% on my yearly premium I'd get a check for $90K to go shopping with. It's ridiculous to even call it a comparison...saving pennies on the front end to lose thousands in the event of a total loss (which is what we're discussing here) on the back end is insanity.

Prior to my starting my MIL/public safety career I was an insurance adjuster and as long ago as that was, nothing much has changed after going through a near total loss recently with my daughter's Jeep JL Wrangler which USAA returned to us "repaired" with an additional nearly $4K in un-repaired damage that I had to brawl with them over...and got covered after I significantly escalated the matter above several pay grades. Ultimately the vehicle should have been totaled as the total damages exceeded 60% of the vehicle's ACV (that ratio varies state to state and by company), but I got her out of it and in something brand new and it's someone else's problem now...

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
What is so special about a 2016 Hellcat that the insurance would payout different than any other car? I’d understand if it was a Demon or something much more rare but these things are all over the place and will be for quite some time to come.

Funny you mention a Jeep JL Wrangler. Friend of mine was sitting at a red light two years back and got rear ended. USAA totaled the car and paid her well more than she paid for the car new based on the market value. Her and I were both shocked to at how much they offered.

I’m not doubting your experience, it just differs from mine and others I know. I have also heard plenty of people that have not been happy with USAA, it’s just not my experience though.

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
@AeroF16, I'm confused that it seems like you don't comprehend the difference between standard insurance and ACV policies, both of which are subject to depreciation, and a guaranteed replacement cost policy, like the one Hagerty offers, where YOU, not the insurance company, decide the value of your vehicle, particularly in the event of a total loss and depreciation does not apply.

If you don't understand what's so special about a Hellcat, or any other high performance/specialty car I REALLY don't know what to tell you. When insurance adjusters crunch total loss figures (which, again, I did for a living) there's no upward adjustment for the fact that MY '23 is the last year of the Hellcat, which has already resulted in rising MSRPs right NOW, never mind the ADMs we're going to see. Newer, low mileage Hellcats are literally selling for what a brand new one would because of availability, market conditions, etc.

You're paying approximately $720/year for your '16 Hellcat which has a total loss value, which will absolutely be depreciated by the insurance company in the case of such an event, for a payout of what exactly? Exactly; you have NO idea, but whatever you think it is...it's gonna be less. In any event I (and MANY others apparently) do see the value and what's so special about the Hellcat and even stock I choose to insure mine @ $90K guaranteed (which means exactly what it says...no haggling or depreciation, its guaranteed) for just over double what you're paying. How much would Hagerty charge you (if you're eligible) to insure your '16 Hellcat? No idea, but I'd find out if I were you. So in my case when a total loss under a standard or even ACV policy would be $70K MAX, the $20K difference in payout at $90K (using your current premium and the price difference between mine) would take me over TWENTY-TWO YEARS to "break even". If I were to use the price difference between the quote I received from my current policy with GEICO and Hagerty, it's even longer to break even...because it would be NEVER; GEICO wants nearly 40% more premium and their total loss payout the day after the car's delivered here shortly would NEVER be close to $80K, never mind $90K. I like to save money as much, if not more, than I like to spend it and if you feel that otherwise, arguably the polar opposite, is acceptable, I really don't know what else to say on the point...

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
@AeroF16, I'm confused that it seems like you don't comprehend the difference between standard insurance and ACV policies, both of which are subject to depreciation, and a guaranteed replacement cost policy, like the one Hagerty offers, where YOU, not the insurance company, decide the value of your vehicle, particularly in the event of a total loss and depreciation does not apply.

If you don't understand what's so special about a Hellcat, or any other high performance/specialty car I REALLY don't know what to tell you. When insurance adjusters crunch total loss figures (which, again, I did for a living) there's no upward adjustment for the fact that MY '23 is the last year of the Hellcat, which has already resulted in rising MSRPs right NOW, never mind the ADMs we're going to see. Newer, low mileage Hellcats are literally selling for what a brand new one would because of availability, market conditions, etc.

You're paying approximately $720/year for your '16 Hellcat which has a total loss value, which will absolutely be depreciated by the insurance company in the case of such an event, for a payout of what exactly? Exactly; you have NO idea, but whatever you think it is...it's gonna be less. In any event I (and MANY others apparently) do see the value and what's so special about the Hellcat and even stock I choose to insure mine @ $90K guaranteed (which means exactly what it says...no haggling or depreciation, its guaranteed) for just over double what you're paying. How much would Hagerty charge you (if you're eligible) to insure your '16 Hellcat? No idea, but I'd find out if I were you. So in my case when a total loss under a standard or even ACV policy would be $70K MAX, the $20K difference in payout at $90K (using your current premium and the price difference between mine) would take me over TWENTY-TWO YEARS to "break even". If I were to use the price difference between the quote I received from my current policy with GEICO and Hagerty, it's even longer to break even...because it would be NEVER; GEICO wants nearly 40% more premium and their total loss payout the day after the car's delivered here shortly would NEVER be close to $80K, never mind $90K. I like to save money as much, if not more, than I like to spend it and if you feel that otherwise, arguably the polar opposite, is acceptable, I really don't know what else to say on the point...
All I’m saying, which you asked, is there is nothing special about my 2016 Hellcat. I have two other vehicles that MSRP for more than my Hellcat did, nothing special about them either.

I understand the difference in policies. If I total my 2016, I’ll have absolutely zero problem finding another one for quite some time to come. Do I need a $70k payout from my insurance? No, I can go replace it for $55k.

Ronin

500 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Muspelheim
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'22 Challenger Hellcat
$55K? That's your guess, and is opinion, not fact. Guaranteed replacement value policies are fact, whether YOU, not the insurance company, choose for it to be value at $55K, $70K or $90K...you may have to substantiate why you value the vehicle at what you do like as @drag racer mentioned and have to provide receipts, pictures, etc.

The MSRP of my S-series AMG was double my Hellcat and while it had an insanely low total MY production (just over 400+) I'd be WAY more concerned about being able to replace my Hellcat than that in the event of a total loss. That's my personal feelings and opinion of course, but the math/comparison I did was fact/objective and I endeavor not to confuse the two...