Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

HPtuners Question and Answer Thread

Trader history for ostmike (0)

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Thanks Jon. So why would anyone want to cut fuel or command leaner for torque management? I would think timing retard would be the safer method? It's probably over my head... all I know is, it looks bad to me that it's doing this at WOT and under full boost.
bigger question is what are you hitting where it’s going into tqm. My suggestion find a new tuner. Not sure who tuned your car but you said he’s well known. Not saying Mike from ost here. Because honestly I don’t have his customers come looking for a new tune which says a good thing about him. But some of these other guys I am doing retunes for like crazy because the car simply doesn’t run right. The trans side it seems is a huge struggle for people.

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Factory uses fuel as a tqm source. My thought. Why lose an engine and trans at the same time? Cutting fuel will cut power but there are safer ways to do it as well.

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
bigger question is what are you hitting where it’s going into tqm. My suggestion find a new tuner. Not sure who tuned your car but you said he’s well known. Not saying Mike from ost here. Because honestly I don’t have his customers come looking for a new tune which says a good thing about him. But some of these other guys I am doing retunes for like crazy because the car simply doesn’t run right. The trans side it seems is a huge struggle for people.
For what it's worth, the tuner never said that the tune is done... this problem did not come about until revision 4. Perhaps, when he reviews the logs after this 4th revision he'll fix this issue on the next one. That's giving him the benefit of the doubt though...

This particular tuner prefers that we schedule a remote tuning session block of time and not send logs back and forth week after week. But the problem is when I had that session back in the fall the track got oiled down and we weren't able to finish. And that was the last day of the season... Now it opened back up in March and here I am sending logs trying to get it finished.

OP
ostmike

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Thread Starter #84
BoostedGTA, Jon and Speedy are correct. It is tune related and it is an easy fix. I would be glad to assist if you can't get this resolved. I am sure Jon would be glad to help as well.

BoostedGTA

Member ID
Reactions
City
Greenville
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
BoostedGTA, Jon and Speedy are correct. It is tune related and it is an easy fix. I would be glad to assist if you can't get this resolved. I am sure Jon would be glad to help as well.
Thank you Mike! I had actually already called your shop a few weeks ago to inquire on a 15" conversion and mentioned to one of your associates that I was going to come to you for a tune if things didn't work out satisfactorily with my current one. Most important thing to me is that I'm comfortable that it's 'right' and safe, moreso than the number it runs. And so far i just don't have the warm fuzzy about what he's doing. As for the 15" conversion, I'm trying one more tire before going that route. Just mounted up some 315/50/17 ET Street R's! (Previous tire was a Hoosier 28x10.5x17 DBR).

Thanks also to Speedy (who pointed me to Mike at OST via the videos) and to Jon for all the helpful advice in here!

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
And this is what we need to see more of. Some of the well know tuners are to arrogant and think they can do no wrong. First hand seen this a mshs in OSW this year. There is enough hellcats to tune to spread the wealth.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
@16GoManGoHC2 was going to do a bench test of the two rails to see if a mechanical difference could be determined but it's been an interesting experiment.

Assuming that you can actually feel this and it is not a sampling rate error this is a tuning issue. It is a very common problem that we see with cars tuned elsewhere.

3. If your tuner is reputable with this platform he will be busy. It is not unusual for me to be 2-3 weeks behind in responding with revisions. I start email tuning revisions first thing in the morning and limit my time to 3 hours. I then go to the shop and tune cars on the dyno the remainder of the day. I leave the evenings and weekends for work around the house and family. I always list my expected response times in my email signature for my customers but that is all I can offer.[/QUOTE]

RE verse HC fuel rail pressure verse output voltage test comparison still on my to do list. Ported RE rails do do better with more equal trims bank 1 to Bank 2 then ported HC rails do. Both do better with porting then stock but RE rails really see good results especially on the Drivers side rail. Had a recent customer chasing a fuel issue send me his rails and he gained 15% inj duty cycle back from porting his rails.

50C7EF3D-31D0-47C8-A2CB-0CCF1C55D684.png

On the Yes, can actually feel it, see it on HP T log, and see it on Draggy runs even between the 3-4 shift and at the top of 4th cuts right around the 130 mark.
901AB55C-3807-49A5-BAB5-922423F7457A.jpeg 2C6A2165-F3A7-463F-8897-CC5B9B70F633.jpeg B0EE19BA-8489-48F7-8024-3640DF31F9C1.png
Here it is fixed by @jonx96 , gained me a 1/2 second on my 60-130 times. Took care of it within an hour of contacting him. I don’t know how people can wait 2-3 weeks for a reply or revision, summer would be over by the time one is tuned.

New Personal Best 60-130!!

THANKS @jonx96 your #1

2FF528D7-9AED-490C-8AC2-60A056F4262B.png 3549290F-FAE1-4E53-BE64-0666FF9B723A.png
Clean at the shift now!! Making some steam even at low timing, she’s got more in her for sure!! THANKS JON!
image.jpg

OP
ostmike

ostmike

Vendor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Portersville
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat
Thread Starter #88
Anymore questions? I keep checking back here every few days but haven't seen anything.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Anymore questions? I keep checking back here every few days but haven't seen anything.
I`m getting positive opinions on the wavetrac differential, do you have any experience with these?
my car seems to like the one wheel peel lately.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
@oilburner are you using any type of line lock or just holding the brakes for the burnout?

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
@oilburner are you using any type of line lock or just holding the brakes for the burnout?
I was using my line lock. Mopar Jim said I should just use foot brake to heat tires, he an Hpindy do this an don`t have a problem. both me an DemonSRT were having the same problem an both of us were using line lock. has this been your experience as well??
I never got a change to try I broke an axle on 5th pass. previous years never seemed to be an issue.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I don't like foot braking a car during a burnout. I feel it puts un-necessary wear and strain on the rear brakes, axles, and diff. I use a Burnbox HC as a line lock.

Mine spins both tires and I use my side mirrors to confirm. Every once in a while I'll see just one smoking....a quick tap of the brake pedal will cause the condition to correct itself in my experience. I think sometimes the LSD clutches don't engage well and that brake tap causes them to mesh up.

I do know continually allowing the car to spin one tire will bring an early death to the diff clutches.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I don't like foot braking a car during a burnout. I feel it puts un-necessary wear and strain on the rear brakes, axles, and diff. I use a Burnbox HC as a line lock.

Mine spins both tires and I use my side mirrors to confirm. Every once in a while I'll see just one smoking....a quick tap of the brake pedal will cause the condition to correct itself in my experience. I think sometimes the LSD clutches don't engage well and that brake tap causes them to mesh up.

I do know continually allowing the car to spin one tire will bring an early death to the diff clutches.
I really like the wavetrac an think I`m going that direction plus I`m sure my clutches are toast now. thanks.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I was using my line lock. Mopar Jim said I should just use foot brake to heat tires, he an Hpindy do this an don`t have a problem. both me an DemonSRT were having the same problem an both of us were using line lock. has this been your experience as well??
I never got a change to try I broke an axle on 5th pass. previous years never seemed to be an issue.
I'm not a fan of foot breaking. You would be more likely to only spin one tire that way. Way more control with a line lock to do a good burnout everytime

Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC

Vendor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Martin
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Mike I have 2 questions for you
1. The part number on the valve body and tcm seems to be the same. On my personal redeye I put a different trans in. I didn't swap Valve bodies. Well the trans was out of a 21 hellcat. I was having a few weird issues so I brought it to my dealer to flash it. So they did. They said it pulled down my vin but when I got home I still saw the soul of a hellcat and not a redeye config in the tcm. Do you know how the witech detects which config to load in?
2. I am debating about buying a witech. I really do not do a ton of installs I mostly do remote but it would be nice to have. The dealer seems to have very limited capabilities with theirs.
Assuming this is what I am looking for is these two items?
1685101180257.png 1685101198575.png

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Mike I have 2 questions for you
1. The part number on the valve body and tcm seems to be the same. On my personal redeye I put a different trans in. I didn't swap Valve bodies. Well the trans was out of a 21 hellcat. I was having a few weird issues so I brought it to my dealer to flash it. So they did. They said it pulled down my vin but when I got home I still saw the soul of a hellcat and not a redeye config in the tcm. Do you know how the witech detects which config to load in?
2. I am debating about buying a witech. I really do not do a ton of installs I mostly do remote but it would be nice to have. The dealer seems to have very limited capabilities with theirs.
Assuming this is what I am looking for is these two items?
View attachment 106669 View attachment 106670
They can flash it to the most recent OS based on vin, that’s it. I had a buddy at the dealer came to my house to flash my TCM, since it’s out of a 16 charger. He couldn’t even change the vin on it, just flash it to the most recent OS based on the vin it was showing

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Witech is very limited. If your TCM had your vin on it, they should have been able to flash it to the most recent redeye OS. We need bench flashing support for the 8HP transmissions like we do with the PCM

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I would get Alfa obd and read what the vin is really showing on the TCM, costs $50. You can read what the vin is on every module on the car. If it says anything besides your vin, I’d see what your transmission builder says

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
You can also read the os/firmware version on every module with Alfa

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
@Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC i went through this. Valve bodies from Dodge come with the TCM. They are blanks. When we programmed mine we put into the system my VIN and it programmed it for that year. Once a VIN is written it cannot be re-programmed by Mopar tools, the functionality simply does not exist. To re-write a vin to a TCM that is already encoded you will need a bench harness. Seqway to:
They can flash it to the most recent OS based on vin, that’s it. I had a buddy at the dealer came to my house to flash my TCM, since it’s out of a 16 charger. He couldn’t even change the vin on it, just flash it to the most recent OS based on the vin it was showing
Witech is very limited. If your TCM had your vin on it, they should have been able to flash it to the most recent redeye OS. We need bench flashing support for the 8HP transmissions like we do with the PCM
I am looking at said bench harnesses but they are about 7k in price :(