Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Hellcat wont Crank

Member ID
Reactions
City
Ellicott City
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 set hellcat challenger
I am old school and do not know much about newer cars and especially the electronics
Our 2019 hellcat started flawlessly each time and now won't engage the starter
The battery appears good I checked the starter relay not even a thought about cranking all else appears fine in Maryland it sat for a week but battery does not seem to be the problem

Bowtie Guy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Amherstburg
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Beer Mobile
I am old school and do not know much about newer cars and especially the electronics
Our 2019 hellcat started flawlessly each time and now won't engage the starter
The battery appears good I checked the starter relay not even a thought about cranking all else appears fine in Maryland it sat for a week but battery does not seem to be the problem
Could it be something as simple as your key fob ?
Use your key fob to push the start button
These things eat fob batteries

Aside from that I have nothing LOL

OP
P
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ellicott City
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
I know that is about the level of where I am at appreciate the help. We are thinking it is not the fob
The "controls" dash, program ignition etc all come on and respond when in the car....tried two different fobs
When pushing the start button..nada
I am thinking it is an interlock like the car doesn't recognize it is in park or doesn't recognize the pedal is depressed during start....sort of like the old neutral safety switch...ant thoughts are better than a tow to a shop

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I know that is about the level of where I am at appreciate the help. We are thinking it is not the fob
The "controls" dash, program ignition etc all come on and respond when in the car....tried two different fobs
When pushing the start button..nada
I am thinking it is an interlock like the car doesn't recognize it is in park or doesn't recognize the pedal is depressed during start....sort of like the old neutral safety switch...ant thoughts are better than a tow to a shop
Sounds like what they do when a guy intentionally pulls the starter relay and puts it in his pocket for the night.;)

Chuck

Founding Member
Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye Super Stock
Step on brake ,put in park sounds dumb but seen it happen many times

OP
P
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ellicott City
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Maybe you know but for whatever reason it won't come out of park or go into any gear with the Ignition on I can' say we never really thought about taking it out of park until now while the engine was not on we've never done that before but it won't come out of park, shifter does not move

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Maybe you know but for whatever reason it won't come out of park or go into any gear with the Ignition on I can' say we never really thought about taking it out of park until now while the engine was not on we've never done that before but it won't come out of park, shifter does not move
A low batttery can cause this you could have a bad battery cell. Get a battery tester or Volt meter and see your volts.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
That’s normal, my A8 wouldn’t do that either. I’d wash my car early in the morning and have to pull the neutral pull strap and push it out of the garage so I didn’t wake people up haha.

My vote is also for check the battery even though it appears fine. No reason to believe it would be anything else. Could give the starter a good whack too just for good measure.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Needing a new battery in a '19 is a bit early, but certainly not unheard of. Measuring the voltage is rarely an indication of if the battery is still good.

Invest in a load tester, they're cheap. Or take the battery to an auto parts store and have them test it.

Geerhed

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Beaver
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 WB Hellcat Charger
The 2019 Ram done same thing last summer. Then finally started after i don't know how many attempts. Running down the road all gauges were going crazy!! many thing s like 4wd , some functions would not Engauge. Took battery out of Charger and put in truck it fired up and ran perfect! Had new battery replaced under warranty in truck was all it was and no problems since!

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
When you try to start do you get the fuel.pump pre-pressuriazation and the other associated noises pre-start?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
These Cars seriously sensitive to minor fluctuations in supplied power. Car garaged most of the time?

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Holding your ears straight?? What ever it is you will not out live it.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
My guess is battery. I proactively changed mine (2018) a month ago before my 1,600 mile trip to Texas. @JRabq's wife's car had some strange battery issues as well.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
My guess is battery. I proactively changed mine (2018) a month ago before my 1,600 mile trip to Texas.
If I had that many doors which would trigger the dome light, I'd carry a spare battery...and have AAA on speed dial.

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
I had that problem a couple of years ago. Both key fob batteries died at the same time. Imagine that.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I got 1 on my heart and 1 on the cell ph0ne looking critter. These batteries are nutts. In the trunk for 1 reason. Battery goes out you have no entry into the trunk. Have to be jumped by a person with a jump box. Might work might not. I have gone thru 3 batteries in 3 years. Ole hell, BS. I have a trickle charger hooked up cause it's too hot in Fl.'

OP
P
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ellicott City
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #18
Wow this is great you are really helpful so we did try to jump start it thinking it was the battery and nothing happened but maybe there's a dead cell because it was sitting at a garage for a month waiting on a repair then it's sat for a week at a time before it started it does seem to have the pressurization in the fuel pump start but I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and go to the auto shop and let them load test it Keep up the good work guys and gals this is really helpful

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I had that problem a couple of years ago. Both key fob batteries died at the same time. Imagine that.
I thought that only happened to old people married for over 60 years...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Wow this is great you are really helpful so we did try to jump start it thinking it was the battery and nothing happened but maybe there's a dead cell because it was sitting at a garage for a month waiting on a repair then it's sat for a week at a time before it started it does seem to have the pressurization in the fuel pump start but I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and go to the auto shop and let them load test it Keep up the good work guys and gals this is really helpful

Did you try jumping with another vehicle or with one of those jump boxes?

Many of them do not have enough starting amps, mine did not when I tried.