Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

E85 questions

OP
TMAC

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #121
I am going to support the US economy and get a killer chiller with the drag strip option. It could not hurt in so. AZ.
They are currently installing a race comp stage 2 FI Interchiller on my Hellcat. Along with the supercharger insulating spacers and bottom side thermal blanket.
I agree that in the desert heat a chiller is a good idea.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
AZ and Florida have sum what same tempt but different humidity and dew points. Dew points have a greater factor than RH. Which has a huge difference on the cooling points. Chiller time. Now on gonging topic is the pully 3.12.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Who say what on both for warranty. I can build the chiller, but the effect the pulley has on the engine and computer printout and PCM is a different el story. The damn heat here and there for 8 months can kill an interer cooler. Need a damn spot cooler in the trunk and run a 3 inch round duct into the hood. What it amounts to. Or to the 6 intercooler like the Camaro does. 6 of em. Cooler more boost more H/P. We can't run our cars in July.

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
I put a block heater in mine. When it drops to the low 60's at night and the car sits overnight outside at work, it can be hard to start. Block heater will keep the coolant at 90-110 in the winter weather.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I put a block heater in mine. When it drops to the low 60's at night and the car sits overnight outside at work, it can be hard to start. Block heater will keep the coolant at 90-110 in the winter weather.
That is some very useful and eye opening info. So if you did not have access to a block heater or electric to heat it would that be a 'fogget about it' at a wintery 32 degrees or lower?

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
That is some very useful and eye opening info. So if you did not have access to a block heater or electric to heat it would that be a 'fogget about it' at a wintery 32 degrees or lower?
It might fire eventually, but it will take a couple times to start when it's 60, it might take longer or might not at all that cold. A lot can be tweaked in the fuel at start to help, but ethanol is hard to light in a cold soaked iron block.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
It might fire eventually, but it will take a couple times to start when it's 60, it might take longer or might not at all that cold. A lot can be tweaked in the fuel at start to help, but ethanol is hard to light in a cold soaked iron block.
Take out the second plug in every cylinder on the Gen III and put in a glow plug, problem solved. LOL. Seriously, again informative, and thanks for the honesty.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Aren't you running colder plugs too? Stock plugs here, never had an issue with it starting on E85 down to 32F weather. It does turn over a few extra times before starting but always starts.

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
I had 12s. Barth told me to get rid of those. They are nitrous plugs. He told me to put in the 14s. I did and it starts easier.

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
Yea I have 12s due to the car having nitrous installed on it.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Yea I have 12s due to the car having nitrous installed on it.
Yea, you dont have much choice so that's why you're having more cold start issues but the block heater is a good solution.

OP
TMAC

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #132
So I have purchased a test kit. I went with the Pro kit.
https://www.fuel-it.com/ethanol-content-tester/

Looks like the test bottles are a wide mouth type, and maybe easier for a klutz like myself to keep from bathing in ethanol.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I had a gal whom needed a wide mouth fer different reasons.

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
27195096-291F-4EE4-BD24-C9AE8F74AD54.jpeg
G
8D0324ED-E7D8-4A6D-9A16-59584AFA27BE.jpeg

Getting lucky over here. E-85-E-90 at every fill up.

OP
TMAC

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #135
Is it possible to put together a list of stations with the E54 and E85 pumps in the greater Phoenix area?
I have not seen a list (and I have searched on-line). I know of 2, but there has to be more.
If you send the station locations and type of ethanol available, I will compile it and make it available.

HellcatMatt

Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Download the app: Alt Fuel (Alternative Fueling Station Locator)

A271F619-9F71-41EB-936E-3E651DE05C9C.png

Member ID
Reactions
City
Gilbert
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I've heard there's one on val vista and Broadway that doesn't show up on the map that's in the higher percentile ethanol

I haven't verified though

The one in gilbert on higley and pecos is 2 minutes from me. I haven't checked the ethanol percentile but paladin06 has said it's right around 54%

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Now all you need in so. CA is a 1/4 mile track. I used to go to two. Big Willie's in Long Beach until the coast guard dumped sand on the track and the one in Carlsbad off of Palomar airport road. Both are long gone.
One of the reasons e85 is not produced in large volume is the end product is clean; but the entire process from beginning to end produces more junk in the air than E10. So not environmentally friendly.

OP
TMAC

TMAC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #139
https://www.energy.gov/maps/alterna...cator#/find/nearest?country=US&location=85204
I have used that locator from my PC.
Shows mostly electric charging stations, bio-diesel, propane, etc. Not very useful for ethanol. And seems really out of date. The 3 places I know of don't even show up.

While I am going to make this change, the entire thing seems like a total cluster fuck. Its hard to find, and when you do find it, you can't rely on the quality. A lot like cocaine in the 1980's.

I have looked into fuel storage cabinets. The ones setup to store 2 55 gal drums of a flammable liquid safely, with ground straps, venting and temp triggered airlocks. Around $1500 for a good one. I have a detatched garage/shop with a lift in it, so plenty of room for a cabinet, vented to the outside.
Torco is in AJ, (very close to me) and they will deliver and pick up empties. 2 drums would fill the car 6 times. The amount I drive, this would easily last several months. While I'm not thrilled about going to drum fuel, it's not something I haven't done in the past. Would solve both where to get it AND quality. Hell, I could go T98.

Last edited:

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
They are. On the ones listed call before going.