Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

E85 questions

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Here is why you test.....I alone was the reason a gas station had to have their tank emptied, cleaned, and refilled. Guys could of had huge issues if this wasn’t caught, especially considering so many blindly fill jugs there for racing.

View attachment 3707
What is that?

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
What is that?

Ever shucked a ear of corn and found it was bad? That’s the equivalent 😳

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
lol. I will test more. I do have that simple test kit. An extra 30 seconds can save 10-15K. A good trade off.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Ever shucked a ear of corn and found it was bad? That’s the equivalent
Gross .

Member ID
Reactions
City
Miami
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
Interesting info. Better performance out of 85 than 93?

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Not pump E10 with 85 octane. E85 with about 105 ocatane.

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
What is that?

Garbage. Not e85 lol. Who knows what it was. I knew something was wrong when I put it in my mason jar to test.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Garbage. Not e85 lol. Who knows what it was. I knew something was wrong when I put it in my mason jar to test.
Maybe it's " filler" ...... Or pee

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
The fact that any vendor doesn't offer a native flex fuel sensor and true flex fuel (one that compensates for content variation) is disturbing.

Next. It has been proven that anything past E60 presents diminishing returns with respect to power production and tempering unwanted combustion events. Moreover, given the lower BTUs of ethanol vs. gasoline - that additional 25% of ethanol content represents more volume occupied in the cylinder, and displaces room otherwise available for oxygen.

As for testing fuel - it is very simple to put a flex fuel sensor in the return line with a gauge. These kits are readily available, and if you don't want the gauge the sensor can even be logged in HP Tuners Pro through its I/Os.
This is what I've been curious about. Everyone says E85 which needs bigger injectors more pump etc, but where do the diminishing returns start? If E60 is equal to 100 octane, that's pretty dang good and you likely don't need such big injectors and pumps to drive it. Mixing it up might be a challenge though. I think the benefit of the extra volume corn fuels require is the cooling effect on everything. I run my car a bit richer on 93 for the same reason shooting for a .83 - .84 lambda.

Responsible? That is crazy talk, it is bartenders fault you drank too much, the car manufacturers fault the car goes that fast, and maybe you live in cave but those crazy "assault" guns just kill people on their own, gotta keep them under armed guard, they will sneak out of the gun safe and go crazy. Their is talk of outlawing forks, they make people fat, gotta use your hands for now on.

Back to E85, if the engine blows up, just blame the gas station and litigate it, no need to test anything,
LOL this cracked me up.

FFBOS

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Prospect
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
There is something in the works for a true flex fuel sensor to use on hellcats. We shall see.

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
I am going to support the US economy and get a killer chiller with the drag strip option. It could not hurt in so. AZ.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
This is what I've been curious about. Everyone says E85 which needs bigger injectors more pump etc, but where do the diminishing returns start? If E60 is equal to 100 octane, that's pretty dang good and you likely don't need such big injectors and pumps to drive it. Mixing it up might be a challenge though. I think the benefit of the extra volume corn fuels require is the cooling effect on everything. I run my car a bit richer on 93 for the same reason shooting for a .83 - .84 lambda.
There is likely a fine line where the returns start to diminish but there are those that run E98 over E85 as well. So there has to be some benefit in it. Most the reason I want to run E85 is so I can run it straight without having to do any mixing. I'd rather not mess around and accidentally get the mix wrong and be way lower on octane than I should be. So if E60 is equal to 100 octane, what's E85 equal to 110? I've heard E85 is 100-105 octane equivalent. Either way the benefits are undeniable.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Why not 100% Ethanol ?

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Why not 100% Ethanol ?

Don't be greedy! :ROFLMAO: I dunno, highest I've heard is E98.

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Too difficult to ignite

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Too difficult to ignite
I've read that E is harder to start in the winter/colder climates. Some are installing engine block heaters to help alleviate this issue.

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Weird fuel. Has a higher Initial temperature to convert from liquid to gas. But once ignited it burns at a lower temperature than fuel.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I am going to support the US economy and get a killer chiller with the drag strip option. It could not hurt in so. AZ.
Agreed, I love mine.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I've read that E is harder to start in the winter/colder climates. Some are installing engine block heaters to help alleviate this issue.
It is harder to start but I've never considered it to be an issue. Granted it rarely ever gets below 32F here, but in the winter months it does get that cold and the car still starts fine, it just turns over a few more times before starting up. If you live in an area that goes well below 32F, I suppose a block heater would help.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
There is likely a fine line where the returns start to diminish but there are those that run E98 over E85 as well. So there has to be some benefit in it. Most the reason I want to run E85 is so I can run it straight without having to do any mixing. I'd rather not mess around and accidentally get the mix wrong and be way lower on octane than I should be. So if E60 is equal to 100 octane, what's E85 equal to 110? I've heard E85 is 100-105 octane equivalent. Either way the benefits are undeniable.
True E85 is about the equivalent of 105 octane.