Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dealer hasn’t been draining my oil cooler

Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Your right. I stand corrected.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Lantana
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
So on every other oil change you'll have 7.5 quarts of oil in it. The oil cooler should be drained every oil change, my .02
Not sure about the 7.5 quarts but watched the SRT Tech lower and raise my Redeye several times checking oil pressure, oil level and checking for any leaks.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Not sure about the 7.5 quarts but watched the SRT Tech lower and raise my Redeye several times checking oil pressure, oil level and checking for any leaks.
It's about 1/3 qtr. in the oil cooler , just saying it will be more than 7 if you don't drain the cooler.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I knew I was doing something wrong. Instead of lowering the car, I've been pulling the dipstick up when checking the oil level.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I knew I was doing something wrong. Instead of lowering the car, I've been pulling the dipstick up when checking the oil level.
What chu talkin bout Willis

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
That instead of holding on to the dipstick while lowering the car, I have just left the car stationary and lifted the dipstick instead.
Of course, my lift is kinda slow, like myself, so for me doing it that way is faster.

OP
Big City AL
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nashville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #107
The Owner’s manual says to do a correct oil change the cooler should be drained each time the oil is changed . It makes no since in my mind to not drain the cooler each time . But to each his own . 86031BAD-5D57-4B42-ADE9-366978F5E36E.png

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Don't bring pesky facts into this debate, please.

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
With the demanded frequency of oil changes (OCI) in these things the matter is relatively benign, especially considering what the TBN (https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/articles/what-is-total-base-number/), VOA (https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2961485), and UOA (https://www.hellcat.org/threads/engine-oil-analysis.6921/page-2) have shown.

Moot. All moot. Stop trying to find meaningless shit to worry about - just drive your cars and change your oil.
Best advice EVER!!!

Usmc341

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Don't kill me for asking this but I must ask. Most guys who complain about draining the oil cooler is removal if the access panels. They are a pain in the ass to say the least. What would be the harm of taking them off and leaving them off? Cars never used to have them. Seriously, when is the last time an object bounced up and busted up your oil pan? Yes you will be less aerodynamic. Instead of going 203 mph you will go 201. Just sayin...

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
. Seriously, when is the last time an object bounced up and busted up your oil pan? Yes you will be less aerodynamic. Instead of going 203 mph you will go 201. Just sayin...
That plastic is barely enough to keep a large bumble bee away from the pan. It's not a skid plate by any means.
Personally I wouldn't want to try 200 mph without that plastic, though. Chances are that the front end could get light.

Either way, it was very easy to install James access panel and not have to remove the front portion again to drain the cooler.

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
Don't kill me for asking this but I must ask. Most guys who complain about draining the oil cooler is removal if the access panels. They are a pain in the ass to say the least. What would be the harm of taking them off and leaving them off? Cars never used to have them. Seriously, when is the last time an object bounced up and busted up your oil pan? Yes you will be less aerodynamic. Instead of going 203 mph you will go 201. Just sayin...
Get this to solve that issue https://oilcooleraccess.com/

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I just cut a hole in panel right where the oil cooler drain plug is , so I don't have to remove that panel , I just remove the panel for the oil filter & pan plug , 4 bolts that it much easier .

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
^^^^ Just make sure the cut out is just big enough to get channel locks or crescent wrench on it to hold as back up on that drain line as you break lose & tightening the plug , you don't want to bend or break the drain line tube !

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
^^^^ Just make sure the cut out is just big enough to get channel locks or crescent wrench on it to hold as back up on that drain line as you break lose & tightening the plug , you don't want to bend or break the drain line tube !
I use a regular wrench, which also works quite well.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I use a regular wrench, which also works quite well.
Yeah , what ever works for ya , point was to use a back up , happy motoring !