Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dealer hasn’t been draining my oil cooler

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Next time I'll try pulling the cooler's plug right after the pan's. So far I've done pan, filter, and then the cooler.
More oil coming out from the cooler should flush it out better.
Update: When I changed the oil recently, I did remember to pull the cooler's drain before removing the filter, and a lot more oil came out that way.
Pan, cooler, and then filter, will be my preferred order from now on.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Yeah, I wouldn't let a dealership's employee anywhere near my car. When I purchased an oil filter from the dealership I didn't even drive the hellcat to the dealership, felt like bad karma. When I got home from purchasing the oil filter I noticed it was full of dust. The dealership didn't even give me a box, it was just the filter that was probably sitting on a shelf for years.

I then ordered a 2-pack from HHP, which I highly suggest, scored the correct SRT oil from NAPA, went to my mechanics shop and we lifted the Hellcat and proceeded to do a proper oil change. He was unaware of the secondary oil filter drain plug, but I showed him and he was caught off guard. We drained the 1/2 quart or so and refilled with 7 quarts.

https://highhorseperformance.com/cart.php?suggest=4b86e068-f170-4fa5-8774-9867c00a52b5

$25 and a 12-pack.

View attachment 9952
I buy mine ( oil filter ) at Walmart , Mopar brand too , # MO899 , $6.50 a piece.

Member ID
City
Lantana
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Recently had my first Oil/Filter change at 500 miles. Confirmed the Dealership was going to use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, 7 quarts and upgraded the oil filter to the larger SRT filter. Service Advisor stated no extra charge to drain Oil Cooler but the customer must request it. The SRT Tech stated the Oil Cooler should be drained every other oil change.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
The SRT Tech stated the Oil Cooler should be drained every other oil change.
Smart. That way they can always claim that it's the next guy's job and avoid doing it themselves.
Even supports my theory about neglecting the 6-month rule; I'll change the oil and filter every other oil change.

Skrelnik

Member ID
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
Recently had my first Oil/Filter change at 500 miles. Confirmed the Dealership was going to use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, 7 quarts and upgraded the oil filter to the larger SRT filter. Service Advisor stated no extra charge to drain Oil Cooler but the customer must request it. The SRT Tech stated the Oil Cooler should be drained every other oil change.
That is hilarious! My other car had a clogged heater core so I brought it to the dealership to fix, out of warranty, and I know I can do the job, but I just don't have the time right now. The Service Adviser said at no cost they will drain the coolant and refill.

Prior to removing this heater core you must drain the coolant, just like an oil change, you change the oil, and for you @Lone Star Redeye that is on the house since you were smart enough to request it.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
With my on going engine problems in the past year. Viper tech had everything back together after 6 weeks. Dodge engineer came down to make sure, for the 2nd time. He was not impressed cause of the fuel pressure did not match. Viper tech was not aware that the car has 2 fuel pumps. Car would not run with 1 pump at 1/2 pressure. Whom to think a mechanic was not aware. Learning curve. Ok. Rico had the info when one of his went bad. All good, under warranty and works. What I read here I run by him and the same from him. He will take 45 minutes to discuss new ideas. Sun Coast Chrysler. Good dealer.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
With my on going engine problems in the past year. Viper tech had everything back together after 6 weeks. Dodge engineer came down to make sure, for the 2nd time. He was not impressed cause of the fuel pressure did not match. Viper tech was not aware that the car has 2 fuel pumps. Car would not run with 1 pump at 1/2 pressure. Whom to think a mechanic was not aware. Learning curve. Ok. Rico had the info when one of his went bad. All good, under warranty and works. What I read here I run by him and the same from him. He will take 45 minutes to discuss new ideas. Sun Coast Chrysler. Good dealer.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
My dd...oil changes are farmed out...my toys..I do all my own oil changes...I trust no one...I have two lifts...its a breeze

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I was very fortunate to have a good dealer that works with the customer even though I didn't purchase my auto through them. If I had the 200 year old oak trees like in Tenn, I would do my own. Too much sand to hold any weight around here. Dealership backed me up on the bad 110 fuel and the rep agreed not to bust my ass for over $20,000 worth of work and a $8,200 extended warranty. I have and Rico have brought them many customers. And whom would let you drive a 2019 Red Eye off the show room floor with 4 miles on it? Paddle shift it's butt off. Nice car nice people. Owner,76, shows up every day to look over the inventory,,, every day. Hard to find these people. it another curb this weekend. Front spoiler pulled 4 plastic screws out. A bit loose,but got that extra warranty. Ruined a lot of aluminum wheels on te vettes, so I knew tis was going to happen. 3rd time. Damn curbs.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
So on every other oil change you'll have 7.5 quarts of oil in it. The oil cooler should be drained every oil change, my .02

Member ID
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Was at the dealer getting my oil changed and walked back to the service bay . The kid that was changing it said he was done and about to put the under carriage plate back on . We joked and talked about how he is the one that always changes my oil . I then asked him if he drained my oil cooler and he said what oil cooler !!! I said for the engine oil he said I didn’t know it has one and went in and talked to a SRT tech and came back and said well it does and took down more of the under carriage plates and drained what looked like about a half quart . Needless to say I was pissed because I realized he had never done this before !! I was so mad I just left out of fear of someone saying the wrong thing to me and snapping and going to jail !! When I cooled off I called the service manager and he said let me call you back ! The next day he called and said he fired both oil change techs and was going to talk to the owner of the dealership about how he could make this right with me . I’m waiting on his return call by this Thursday with their response as to how to deal with this ! I have reached out to Dodge about this and am waiting on their response also !!!

Member ID
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Was at the dealer getting my oil changed and walked back to the service bay . The kid that was changing it said he was done and about to put the under carriage plate back on . We joked and talked about how he is the one that always changes my oil . I then asked him if he drained my oil cooler and he said what oil cooler !!! I said for the engine oil he said I didn’t know it has one and went in and talked to a SRT tech and came back and said well it does and took down more of the under carriage plates and drained what looked like about a half quart . Needless to say I was pissed because I realized he had never done this before !! I was so mad I just left out of fear of someone saying the wrong thing to me and snapping and going to jail !! When I cooled off I called the service manager and he said let me call you back ! The next day he called and said he fired both oil change techs and was going to talk to the owner of the dealership about how he could make this right with me . I’m waiting on his return call by this Thursday with their response as to how to deal with this ! I have reached out to Dodge about this and am waiting on their response also !!!
You were better off that he didn't drain the oil cooler , sounds like he was not properly trained and or incompetent . It was one less opportunity for a "Boss you ain't gonna believe this shit" moment. I do mine and a friends with race ramps, a torque wrench , magnetic drain plugs, 7 quarts Pennzoil 0w-40 SRT oil, SRT oil Filter and 1.5 cans of beer.

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
I did the 2nd oil change on my RE yesterday at 2500 mi. My dealer did the 1st one at 500 miles, at that low of mileage I don't really care if they drained the oil cooler or not.
Anyway, I drained the cooler w the oil filter off and was surprised at how much oil came out of it. It was a good bit more than what I'd read to expect. After seeing how much is in there I'd say not changing it at every oil change is a bit neglectful.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
After seeing how much is in there I'd say not changing it at every oil change is a bit neglectful.
I still think that the amount is inconsequential. To me it's the crap that has settled in that low spot that counts.

Skrelnik

Member ID
City
Fairfield
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I still think that the amount is inconsequential. To me it's the crap that has settled in that low spot that counts.
Possibly, but there is a right way to do the job and a wrong way, and not draining the oil cooler is definitely not the correct way.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Thankfully Dodge gave us an easy way to get rid of what gets stuck there by incorporating a drain plug.
If the oil cooler wasn't meant to be drained it wouldn't have a drain plug on it.
It's as if you didn't read the entire thread...or your memory is worse than mine.