Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Challenger Clocked At 111 In Georgia. He Was Being Tried.

Bowlerguy92

10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Hellcat Charger Redeye Widebody
Watch out for the lines of cruise control morons.
You know, that's actually a really good point. I bet the advent of "adaptive cruise" has probably caused a lot of the bullshit you see on the interstate with no one paying attention because their cars are driving for them and everyone moving at the same rate of speed allowing almost no passing at times. As soon as a gap opens up, adaptive cruise closes it.

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Every thing but the driver.
Speed limits in this country are such a joke at this point. While I'm getting pulled over and cuffed for wreckless at 100 MPH+ in NH, the Karen hogging the left lane causing everyone to weave around her, almost hitting each other and causing a pile up gets a pass. 65 MPH is such an insanely low speed limit for cars designed to safely travel at 200 MPH. Even an average 4 wheel appliance that we're surrounded by on a daily basis can easily travel at 100+ MPH day in and day out.

Unfortunately, because of our antiquated traffic laws and specifically the enforcement and emphasis on laws that don't actually promote safety, we've bred a culture who text while they drive, shaves, talks on the phone, doesn't know traffic laws at all and who sit in the left lane and force everyone else around them on the non passing side. We could never change them at this point to something like what the Autobahn has shown us can be very safe and efficient for many decades. People here simply couldn't handle actually having to drive.

Since I've gotten the hellcat, I make every effort to blow through traffic wherever possible and get away from the "pack." Sometimes this means passing on the right side, I really don't care. The only close calls I've had in the last 5 years have been because I have been stuck IN the "pack" of idiocy and have almost been taken out by someone not paying attention. It's much safer for me to get around traffic and into the open.
Make interstate driving a special class on your license.
Can't pass the test, you can't drive on it.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Make interstate driving a special class on your license.
Can't pass the test, you can't drive on it.
Hmm. Not that I drive all that much on interstates, but find them very easy to drive on. Effortless passing etc., but quite boring. That's where people who don't actually drive should be, I think.

If there's a need for special licenses it should be for driving on curvy 2-laners. Although, it can be fun to see some cars ricochet in their lane thanks to lane keep assist.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
You know, that's actually a really good point. I bet the advent of "adaptive cruise" has probably caused a lot of the bullshit you see on the interstate with no one paying attention because their cars are driving for them and everyone moving at the same rate of speed allowing almost no passing at times. As soon as a gap opens up, adaptive cruise closes it.
Now they are cruise control morons clapping their hands to “We will rock you” instead of keeping hands on the wheel!

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
Now they are cruise control morons clapping their hands to “We will rock you” instead of keeping hands on the wheel!
I hate that shit and turn it off every time I drive the wife's car. I'm happy it wasn't even an option on the super stock because I don't have to screw with turning it off!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I have no idea if the cruise control even works in any of my vehicles.

Much prefer driving instead of just being along for the ride.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
I use it all the time on my 5.7 daily driver. For some reason I like to watch my fuel efficiency gauge when I’m out and about. Maybe it’s because I’m old but I enjoy getting the max mpg when I’m driving. It goes down 3-4 mpg when my wife takes the vehicle out. :LOL:
I guess saving a mile or three per gallon is no big deal but you do get better gas mileage in cruise control on an open road. On my Daytona, it made a difference between a 500 mile range and a range of about 440 miles. IMG_1621.jpeg

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I use it all the time on my 5.7 daily driver. For some reason I like to watch my fuel efficiency gauge when I’m out and about.
I guess saving a mile or three per gallon is no big deal but you do get better gas mileage in cruise control on an open road.
I'm not so sure about that. By not using cruise I can give it some extra gas before a hill, then not insist on maintaining a specific speed up the hill. Spent a lot of time watching the instant mpg reading during a few years of biweekly 1,000 mile "commutes", and learned to maximize the mileage while still maintain an average of about 71 mph.

It was interesting to see how much could be gained by backing off just 1 mph sometimes. Other times going 3-5 mph faster made very little difference. All dependent of weather and topography, of course.

Not saying that people can't get better mileage using cruise, but am pretty sure that those who actively drive can beat it.
When on an interstate and maintaining a steady speed, it's very common that people pass me, then slow down, then pass again, and so on. They would likely save gas by using the cruise.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Speed limits in this country are such a joke at this point. While I'm getting pulled over and cuffed for wreckless at 100 MPH+ in NH, the Karen hogging the left lane causing everyone to weave around her, almost hitting each other and causing a pile up gets a pass. 65 MPH is such an insanely low speed limit for cars designed to safely travel at 200 MPH. Even an average 4 wheel appliance that we're surrounded by on a daily basis can easily travel at 100+ MPH day in and day out.

Unfortunately, because of our antiquated traffic laws and specifically the enforcement and emphasis on laws that don't actually promote safety, we've bred a culture who text while they drive, shaves, talks on the phone, doesn't know traffic laws at all and who sit in the left lane and force everyone else around them on the non passing side. We could never change them at this point to something like what the Autobahn has shown us can be very safe and efficient for many decades. People here simply couldn't handle actually having to drive.

Since I've gotten the hellcat, I make every effort to blow through traffic wherever possible and get away from the "pack." Sometimes this means passing on the right side, I really don't care. The only close calls I've had in the last 5 years have been because I have been stuck IN the "pack" of idiocy and have almost been taken out by someone not paying attention. It's much safer for me to get around traffic and into the open.
I completely understand where you're coming from, but I land on the other side. I am very much in favor of keeping the majority of dumbasses at a speed like 65 MPH. I don't want them trying to go faster because I see the results of their ineptitude often. We would need far better drivers, and far more stringent proof of ability and mechanical minimums for me. Just my two cents.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
I use it all the time on my 5.7 daily driver. For some reason I like to watch my fuel efficiency gauge when I’m out and about. Maybe it’s because I’m old but I enjoy getting the max mpg when I’m driving. It goes down 3-4 mpg when my wife takes the vehicle out. :LOL:
I guess saving a mile or three per gallon is no big deal but you do get better gas mileage in cruise control on an open road. On my Daytona, it made a difference between a 500 mile range and a range of about 440 miles. View attachment 109995
I'll see your 28 and raise you

Ford Expedition EL at 54 MPG.jpg

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
No thanks! I would miss that sweet sound of a Hemi too much to switch to an economy cruiser
Hmm. You're getting almost 4 mpg better, using eco mode and cruise, than my girlfriend consistently gets with her Redeye. Hand calculated since '19, by the way.

And that's not obeying any speed limits on the highways, or using cruise control. Maybe you should disengage the cruise, step on it, and save some gas?

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
No thanks! I would miss that sweet sound of a Hemi too much to switch to an economy cruiser
Normally I get about 17.7, same as I did in the HC. That is the beginning of 90 miles down into the Pecos river valley east of the Sacramentos. So that twin turbo 3.5 coasts a lot and runs the mileage up.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #74
This gas mileage thing is a crock of shit. These cars aren't built for economy. Who's going to pay the gas taxes then?

Government isn't going to cut their cash machine.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
d snot care ifster
Sorry 2 say butt I didn't purchase my 6.2 HC fer it 2 bee an eco nomacal fuel critter. Wood snot care if it gut 6 mph. Spend dat amount of denare oes on a so called hot rod fer gas millage? Kno way. Whom ever cares shuld sell da critter. Mine, da last I lucked waz 2 ears asnow, gut 8mpg but dat is da way I drive. Shurt brust and stomp it bee tween da red lights. 2 day waz 25 miles an hour. 6 red lights and ugh train. Why ah speed limit wen dare r 1 hundred lights in da way??

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I'm glad our Challengers get about 22 and 24 mpg. If not, the puny gas tank would make them nearly as useless as an electric car.

Well, obviously it's far faster and easier to get gas than charging an EV, but it'd suck not to be able to go somewhere, and back, without having to gas up.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Hmm. Not that I drive all that much on interstates, but find them very easy to drive on. Effortless passing etc., but quite boring. That's where people who don't actually drive should be, I think.

If there's a need for special licenses it should be for driving on curvy 2-laners. Although, it can be fun to see some cars ricochet in their lane thanks to lane keep assist.
Too easy, you are correct. Many don’t recognize the complications that make an interstate highway quickly dangerous! I agree, most people need a driving certification NOW!

His point is like;
1. telling people to get their dumb and ignorant asses out of the left lane except for passing
2. maintaining a minimum speed limit
3. Don’t tail gate at high speeds you are not a NASCAR driver.
3. get the PHUCK off the interstate if you can’t go the minimum speed in the rain, don’t just put on your blinkers and hope all is ok.
4. Merge using an entrance ramp without stopping, or slowing down, hit the damn gas!
5. don’t move over to the left lane at 20 mph less than it is traveling because you have decided to be a dumb ass to allow the person merging slow to be able to do that.

Oh I can think of more because I drive a bunch on roads like that. Hell different on two lanes where you may even find a nice farmer moving his equipment. BUT, that is expected and one needs to be more careful when on those roads.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #78
Too easy, you are correct. Many don’t recognize the complications that make an interstate highway quickly dangerous! I agree, most people need a driving certification NOW!

His point is like;
1. telling people to get their dumb and ignorant asses out of the left lane except for passing
2. maintaining a minimum speed limit
3. Don’t tail gate at high speeds you are not a NASCAR driver.
3. get the PHUCK off the interstate if you can’t go the minimum speed in the rain, don’t just put on your blinkers and hope all is ok.
4. Merge using an entrance ramp without stopping, or slowing down, hit the damn gas!
5. don’t move over to the left lane at 20 mph less than it is traveling because you have decided to be a dumb ass to allow the person merging slow to be able to do that.

Oh I can think of more because I drive a bunch on roads like that. Hell different on two lanes where you may even find a nice farmer moving his equipment. BUT, that is expected and one needs to be more careful when on those roads.
I prefer the secondary roads. Just a more peaceful and less stressful way to travel.
I find that we take about the same time to our destination and so many of these roads are in great shape and hardly any traffic because everyone is on the interstate.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I prefer the secondary roads. Just a more peaceful and less stressful way to travel.
It's the exact opposite for me.

On an interstate it's basically zombie driving. Not much to do other than keep an eye out for cops, and people trying to kill me.

But on the far more fun secondary roads it's a matter of not only cops (they're rare, thankfully) but trying to stay on the pavement in the curves, or at least the lane, finding a chance to pass (in case there's another vehicle), not hitting any wildlife or cattle, etc.

Full on adrenaline rush, basically. To the point that I now have to use eye drops as I completely forget to blink, which has made my eyes red. Anything but peaceful.

But I guess it's different when tranquilly driving a taxi.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #80
It's the exact opposite for me.

On an interstate it's basically zombie driving. Not much to do other than keep an eye out for cops, and people trying to kill me.

But on the far more fun secondary roads it's a matter of not only cops (they're rare, thankfully) but trying to stay on the pavement in the curves, or at least the lane, finding a chance to pass (in case there's another vehicle), not hitting any wildlife or cattle, etc.

Full on adrenaline rush, basically. To the point that I now have to use eye drops as I completely forget to blink, which has made my eyes red. Anything but peaceful.

But I guess it's different when tranquilly driving a taxi.
Interstates are maxed out around here. Traffic jams are plentiful.

Secondary roads are basically empty especially in rural areas with many being dual lane.

Yes, life is extremely better in a taxi. That's why it's called Taxi Kat.