Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Anyone Ever Use the Factory Supplied AIR DEFLECTORS???

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It's fully understandable, I think, that these air deflectors don't get much respect.
For one, they came free with (or on) the vehicle. And more importantly, they're not visible.

Compare that to spending money on a pair of 2-foot Hellcat decals for the sides of the car.
Now that's a performance upgrade that the neighbors will notice.

Those air deflectors don't stand a chance.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
It's fully understandable, I think, that these air deflectors don't get much respect.
For one, they came free with (or on) the vehicle. And more importantly, they're not visible.

Compare that to spending money on a pair of 2-foot Hellcat decals for the sides of the car.
Now that's a performance upgrade that the neighbors will notice.

Those air deflectors don't stand a chance.
Stickers=Horsepower!

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #63
With the new belly pan as well?

View attachment 13153
NICE PIC!. That is exactly what I was trying to convey without imagery. Look at how the air duct is way away from the air deflector. Do you think any of that air is making it to the deflector? And at speed? The air speed and pressure will sweep it right under the car before it makes the 1ft. jump. (They're not even in line). Also look at the trailing edge of the deflector itself. Not only is it out of the air stream and off the rotor a few inches, it still has to get to the rotor through the steering knuckles and ball joints. My laymen's intuition and eye says NFW.
Again, thank you for the photo and input.

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat
7C4B7FDC-E863-4CFE-912E-6FF15D948B19.jpeg

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
NICE PIC!. That is exactly what I was trying to convey without imagery. Look at how the air duct is way away from the air deflector. Do you think any of that air is making it to the deflector? And at speed? The air speed and pressure will sweep it right under the car before it makes the 1ft. jump. (They're not even in line). Also look at the trailing edge of the deflector itself. Not only is it out of the air stream and off the rotor a few inches, it still has to get to the rotor through the steering knuckles and ball joints. My laymen's intuition and eye says NFW.
Again, thank you for the photo and input.
lol

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
Hell, even some members are purchasing the kit, and installing them on older Hellcats.

There's even talk of a new rotor company that might provide them with their rotor kits.

You know, just saying.
Bull,

Off OP topic, but...

...saw your signature about it being oddly appropriate to discuss the high speeds of our Hellcats as percentage of the speed of sound - a Mach Number. That does elevate our cars into rarified air and should be something handy to toss out at car shows to audiences agog with wonder. I did the math - If we consider the atmosphere on a standard day at sea level static conditions, the speed of sound is about 761 mph, or 1100 feet/second. So 203 mph = 2.67 Mach! Or, 293 feet/second. Hey, a football field/second!

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
203 MPH is not even 1/3 Mach.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Bull,

Off OP topic, but...

...saw your signature about it being oddly appropriate to discuss the high speeds of our Hellcats as percentage of the speed of sound - a Mach Number. That does elevate our cars into rarified air and should be something handy to toss out at car shows to audiences agog with wonder. I did the math - If we consider the atmosphere on a standard day at sea level static conditions, the speed of sound is about 761 mph, or 1100 feet/second. So 203 mph = 2.67 Mach! Or, 293 feet/second. Hey, a football field/second!
You're not going 2.67 Mach with the horsepower that your car generates....not even close. You'd need to get over 2000 mph at sea level to go that Mach number.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
hahahahahaha...

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Car going 763 mph... this link is bullshit, but I can't upload my more or less pure onboard vertical stabiliser camera and radio comms footage to this site.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I used to have the precise Mach number in my signature for the exact air density on that day, but dropped it out because it was too much trouble debating it with people. I honestly forget the number now.. .2xxxx something???

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I used to have the precise Mach number in my signature for the exact air density on that day, but dropped it out because it was too much trouble debating it with people. I honestly forget the number now.. .2xxxx something???
...now where's those numbers from the Christmas Redeye contest when you need them :p

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #74
Bull,

Off OP topic, but...

Hey stop high jackin' my thread with inaccurate info. :p

OP
coolblue

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Thread Starter #75
You're not going 2.67 Mach with the horsepower that your car generates....not even close. You'd need to get over 2000 mph at sea level to go that Mach number.
Yea...THEN maybe the air deflector's would work. Ha ha ha ha ha.

Last edited:

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Yea...THEN maybe the air deflector's would work. Ha ha ha ha ha.
oh sure...but you could only go back to 1955...which would be ok with me...I guess :)

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Okay, all you naysayers, I just added up the top speeds of our Hellcat powered cars.

It comes to 762 mph, which is pretty darn close to 767.269. Only one pulley away from Mach 1.
So there.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Okay, all you naysayers, I just added up the top speeds of our Hellcat powered cars.

It comes to 762 mph, which is pretty darn close to 767.269. Only one pulley away from Mach 1.
So there.
How many Hellcats did you add up to get that number? Adding 3-4 cars that are all doing 203 mph in parallel does not Mach 1 make.....even if you stack them one behind the other :)
If a Hellcat could do Mach 1, they be setting all the records at Bonneville....and every other speed trial,.....which we know ain't happenin' :p

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
How many Hellcats did you add up to get that number? Adding 3-4 cars that are all doing 203 mph in parallel does not Mach 1 make.....even if you stack them one behind the other :)
Four of them.
Two at 180, one at 199, and one at 203 mph.

Anyway, now you're pooping on my parade by bringing up facts and physics. I was under the impression that those pesky things were all but banned on vehicle related forums.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Four of them.
Two at 180, one at 199, and one at 203 mph.

Anyway, now you're pooping on my parade by bringing up facts and physics. I was under the impression that those pesky things were all but banned on vehicle related forums.
yeah science.gif