Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Another oil change

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Yeah, it's definitely a self induced problem. And it's not too many, it's way too many.
All these cars yours or do some belong to your wife/gf (Or maybe both your wife and girlfriend lol)? My girl isn't a mechanic by any means, but she enjoys learning and I have no problem showing her how to do a simple oil change. I am doing one thing next oil change to make things simpler. I'm going to install Stahlbus valves for both engine oil pan, and oil cooler drains. I'm also going to put in a access hatch for the oil cooler so I don't have to take out 15+ screws/push pins to take a cover off to access the oil cooler drain.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Not all, MaxCarnage. Five of them are my girlfriend's, plus two tractors, two utility vehicles, and a little dump truck. The rest are mine.

Unfortunately, "the rest" is many more than she has. And three of the five 6-monthers are mine.
Thankfully she takes her Porsches and Ram 3500 to the dealers for service, and it still puzzles me that those Porsches run just fine, with intact warranties, for well over six months.

And aren't those access covers that James sells great? I just wish he had them for her Redeye and our 'Hawks.

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
There’s been plenty of discussion and some evidence at BITOG, that excessively frequent oil changes actually increase metal wear. The tribological film that forms on parts is stripped off by the fresh dose of detergents. [dunno]
I actually heard this along time ago about tranny fluid. Too many oil changes is no good because of detergent effects you talk about. But I have never heard that of engine oil. Interesting.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Yeah, it's definitely a self induced problem. And it's not too many, it's way too many.
Damn you rich guys to Hell !!!:devilish::devilish:

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Damn you rich guys to Hell !!!:devilish::devilish:
Yeah, you po' po' boy. You got a fuc*&^% museum!. :LOL::LOL:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Buying several cars, and more importantly, not selling enough of them, does not make you rich.
Trust me, it doesn't work that way.

OP
SilverBillet

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Thread Starter #27
I’ve been taking my cars to the dealer for oil changes for years. First, the factory oil change packages are relatively cheap. I don’t have to worry about finding the time, weather, jacking the car up, mess or disposal. I do change my own in the truck and 12 quarts for the diesel is enough to satisfy my oil change fix. The other thing is, it gives my cars a dealer documented record for warranty purposes. I was putting over 3,000 miles a month on my Daytona and getting the oil changed every 7-8 weeks. A nice side benefit is that it has been a great opportunity for me to develop relationships with the service managers (there have been several), service writers and techs. I honestly get the royal treatment there. I actually enjoy getting my oil changed at the dealer’s!

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
OP
SilverBillet

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #29
Very interesting...but I still have to get my oil changed. Maybe the quality of the synthetic oil today makes it OK with shorter intervals between changes?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
The only logical reason I can see for these uber frequent oil changes is to get people into the service departments, and then try to up sell.

Of course, they do make some sense if not driving a vehicle long enough to get the fluids warm.
And maybe FCA has seen posts where people start their vehicle once or twice a week during the winter and let it idle for a bit.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Not all, MaxCarnage. Five of them are my girlfriend's, plus two tractors, two utility vehicles, and a little dump truck. The rest are mine.

Unfortunately, "the rest" is many more than she has. And three of the five 6-monthers are mine.
Thankfully she takes her Porsches and Ram 3500 to the dealers for service, and it still puzzles me that those Porsches run just fine, with intact warranties, for well over six months.

And aren't those access covers that James sells great? I just wish he had them for her Redeye and our 'Hawks.
I was waiting for him to make one for the Redeye and decided that probably wasn't going to happen given the fact that the air ducts are in the way. So I recently decided to order a Hellcat front shield instead that comes without the air ducts, install the access cover and use that. Putting my factory Redeye front shield aside. I don't road race my Redeye, so I won't be missing out on any benefits the Redeye cover has. Just an idea for your ladies Redeye. As far as the TH is concerned if James got ahold of a TH shield he could probably make one. Assuming there is room for a cutout.

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
I cancelled it because of the weather forecast. Going back on Monday.
I’ve been taking my cars to the dealer for oil changes for years. First, the factory oil change packages are relatively cheap. I don’t have to worry about finding the time, weather, jacking the car up, mess or disposal. I do change my own in the truck and 12 quarts for the diesel is enough to satisfy my oil change fix. The other thing is, it gives my cars a dealer documented record for warranty purposes. I was putting over 3,000 miles a month on my Daytona and getting the oil changed every 7-8 weeks. A nice side benefit is that it has been a great opportunity for me to develop relationships with the service managers (there have been several), service writers and techs. I honestly get the royal treatment there. I actually enjoy getting my oil changed at the dealer’s!
I'm sorry huh? Those two posts are misleading and confusing lol.

I use race ramps rather than jack my car up. Easier. Hardly any concern for mess with Stahlbus valves that you can use to poor directly into a container. Disposal is simple and free to your local auto parts store. I document and keep my own records and receipts. So what are you paying for your oil changes? Curious to what I pay vs going to a dealer. I haven't bothered asking my dealer.

I've had dealers strip my oil pan plugs, and several times make a mess on fill up with various cars I've owned in the past. Not to mention getting into my car dirty and leaving greasy prints. The sad fact is they are in a hurry to push you along and get onto the next customer. While I take my time and drain my oil thoroughly and properly.

Glad it's working out for you so far. I don't bother with dealerships unless I absolutely have to. That's not to say they aren't polite and kind, but when it comes to YOUR car, YOU are the only one that truly cares about it imo.

OP
SilverBillet

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #33
No problem here. I just don’t like working on my cars that much anymore and have a pretty good relationship with my car dealer.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Just an idea for your ladies Redeye. As far as the TH is concerned if James got ahold of a TH shield he could probably make one. Assuming there is room for a cutout.
I have been thinking about making a smaller opening, just enough to reach a Stahlbus or similar valve, and one for a stationary hose.
Or maybe secure at least the right side of all that plastic with Dzus fasteners.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Why aren't you doing it yourself? As long as you are able. They want take the same time and care you will yourself.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
It’s interesting how the auto manufacturers have been forced the hand from the CAFE standards Carbon Foot print impact to extend oil changes. Many cars now are going 10k-15k-20k oil Change intervals to help offset the Carbon Foot Print impact. And the auto companies know its better to roll the dice to see how long motors will go with less oil changes versus the penalties from world Governments. And yet they are requiring the consumers to no matter what dump oil that is perfectly fine to meet warranty guidelines. If it was me I would purchase an Oil Change Kit and have the receipts to show I did buy the oil and filter in the timeline. DO I CONFESS I actually changed the oil:whistle: and then over time sure I will change the oil and or if your tight with your dealer just bring in the oil at a later date and give it to them. They have no clue what you have done and be sure to reset the OIL LIFE so the computer thinks this happened:geek:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Ah, yes, the three stages of oil's life.

Stage 1: On the dealer's lot the oil remains perfect indefinitely.
Stage 2: With the papers signed the oil goes bad at or before six months.
Stage 3: Once out of warranty, the oil's life expectancy reverts back to Stage 1.