Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Airing up a beadlock

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Nis

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #22
Good on you for asking what to do, if not, your first track day could have ended like the guy in this GTR that thought he destroyed his beadlocks.

LOL, plus I do not understand at a sanctioned drag strip, if it is, dozens of bystanders are in the burnout area.

sc4.6

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Port Stanley
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Challenger Redeye
LOL, plus I do not understand at a sanctioned drag strip, if it is, dozens of bystanders are in the burnout area.
It's about as dumb as those street takeovers; those clowns don't realize the dangers until someone gets hit with shrapnel from broken parts, or in the worst case, the whole car.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It's more than a little ironic to see the use of WD-40 and soapy water mentioned when the goal is to keep the tire from moving on the wheel. But at least the soapy water isn't a petroleum product, so the tire doesn't care.

There are products made specifically to lube the tire beads with, and which later (after drying) helps with bead retention, instead of making things slippery.

And it helps a lot to remove the valve core when seating beads, on any kind of wheel.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Soapy water does dry, I used it on mine- a lot of people do

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Soapy water does dry, I used it on mine- a lot of people do
I know that a lot of people do, and that the water dries. The issue is that the soap portion doesn't disappear.

Are you also into jumping off of bridges if others do?

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I know that a lot of people do, and that the water dries. The issue is that the soap portion doesn't disappear.

Are you also into jumping off of bridges if others do?
Do you have beadlocks? I have 30+ passes and hundreds of street miles in them, in the wet burnout box. I mark the tire with chalk. Haven’t moved a smidge.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
No, I've only tried beadlocks once, and that was to prevent air loss when 'wheeling. Found that it's usually the inner bead that lets go first anyway, so I pursued other ways to be able to run at between 1 and 5 psi.

Regardless, it doesn't make soapy water good for mounting tires. Better than WD-40 obviously, but far from good. Again, there are products made for the purpose.