Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

After Market ECU - FuelTech = Drag Racing

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
There have been several questions and/or comments about after market drag racing ECU.

If you want to start really racing your car and want to start moving the needle (figuratively speedometer) lol

You'll need an after market ECU. We use FuelTech's FT600, their wiring harnesses and sensors for one reason and one reason only. Almost every winner uses FuelTech for it's second to none traction control, easy to read display, easy to make small corrections and lightest weight ECU & display combined into one unit. We've priced other ECU and their wiring kits & sensors and the price are higher or almost comparable with FuelTech.

Using FuelTech...we get to load "5" maps (which are tunes) on the ECU before we start racing. Once you do your burnout, backup and understand the track's sticky or not conditions. Stop the car and reload a new tune in less than a minute. No stopping the car, pulling up your laptop or shutting the car off and loading a new tune in either the engine and/or transmission in 4 to 5 minutes. And god forbid if you loss internet connection or your laptop crashes in the middle of loading and locking up your factory ECU and your race day is over with and weeks downtime getting a new ECU or flashing your old one.

With FuelTech none of those worries. Just press a button and bam...car reloads a new tune for engine and transmission.

We have 5 tunes loaded...#1 being on kill, down to number #5, which means it's going to be a soft launch and overall much slower pass.

Btw, NO MORE laptops in the car logging. The FT600 ECU does all that for you. Stores five tunes and logs and stores your passes. And no more downloading and emailing your log to the tuner. With FuelTech, your tuner logs into the ECU remotely and makes adjustments, saves the tune and bam...you're right back racing!

Even people without a tuners background and training can read the logs, discuss with your tuner and see what's going on with the car.

Btw, FuelTech logs and makes adjustments by the millisecond and not some guess game adjusting maps. FuelTech tunes to real time data.

1702233392504.png

Look at the winner circles for events from Promods, Street Outlaws NPK and Street Racing, to Outlaw series, LDRP, World Cup Small Tire and down to local track big tire and small tire events..etc..etc... Which ECU are they winning with?

http://instagr.am/p/Czl-qUjLrTX/

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Than why is Holley used so much

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Haha. Don’t look at me. I went the DragPak route with the Holley Dominator because it was there and so far it does everything we need at my piddling level. I do know it’s true that at the Pro Mod/LDR level, the Fuel Tech is the go to system and no doubt there’s a reason for that. I don’t know anything about the FT system that would allow me compare so I’ll just say I’ll make the best of what I got. 👊

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Stand alones are great! But they wont work for any street car that has to pass emmissions. Can the Holly be remote tuned like the Fueltech? Seems to be quite a feature.

I would consider one if I could get the trans to work in my Trackhawk but all go to a TH400 or 4l80. Im guess the OP has a TH400.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Stand alones are great! But they wont work for any street car that has to pass emmissions. Can the Holly be remote tuned like the Fueltech? Seems to be quite a feature.

I would consider one if I could get the trans to work in my Trackhawk but all go to a TH400 or 4l80. Im guess the OP has a TH400.
Holley can be live tuned remotely. It’s the age of miracle and wonder. It’s a long distance call 😎

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #7
Haha. Don’t look at me. I went the DragPak route with the Holley Dominator because it was there and so far it does everything we need at my piddling level. I do know it’s true that at the Pro Mod/LDR level, the Fuel Tech is the go to system and no doubt there’s a reason for that. I don’t know anything about the FT system that would allow me compare so I’ll just say I’ll make the best of what I got. 👊
You are correct Marc. FuelTech rules the roost for any type of drag racing. There are very few cars even in the Street Outlaws cars that don't run FuelTech.

Their new FT700 has even more features and FuelTech getting into Jetski racing. smh

They said if it's fuel injection their system can help tune and control the vehicle. Just amazing.

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #8

Agreed your transmission has to be fixed/working before changing out your ECU to FuelTech.

The emission comment is a good one. Once you go after market ECU then the Emission testing can not be done. But that brings up a good point about states with Emission testing but promoters make it mandatory. I'll create a new thread to discuss race promoters and emission testing.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
What would be interesting would be a complete package layout (ECU, Harnesses and necessary components for a complete system) for converting a Hellcat over to the Fuel Tech stand alone. That was the one thing that was available to me when I needed to see what I was looking at with the Holley. The DragPak package was right there with all the parts numbers for harnesses and sensors. I wasn’t getting into something that had to be figured out. Colby is working with people experienced with the FuelTech platform. Most Hellcat shops don’t have any experience with any stand alone stuff. The electrical system install is critical with these things and whoever is doing it better have their shit together or the end result isn’t going to be what you want.

OP
Dman007

Dman007

500 Posts Club
U.S. Army Veteran
7 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Smyrna
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #10
What would be interesting would be a complete package layout (ECU, Harnesses and necessary components for a complete system) for converting a Hellcat over to the Fuel Tech stand alone. That was the one thing that was available to me when I needed to see what I was looking at with the Holley. The DragPak package was right there with all the parts numbers for harnesses and sensors. I wasn’t getting into something that had to be figured out. Colby is working with people experienced with the FuelTech platform. Most Hellcat shops don’t have any experience with any stand alone stuff. The electrical system install is critical with these things and whoever is doing it better have their shit together or the end result isn’t going to be what you want.
Good call out and FuelTech already has my build sheet for a Gen 3 Hemi and what's needed to order and install for the FT600.

Here is the catch. Not everyone buys all of the sensors. We wanted all of the sensors. LOL! More data your tuner has, the better he/she can tune your car.

Basic must haves sensors:
1. Oil Pressure
2. Fuel Pressure
3. Water Temp
4. Trans dumps (internal and external)
5. Crank case pressure
6. Driveshaft - must have in racing
7. MAP
8. Knock

Added sensors:
9. Turbo speed
10. Ride Height
11. Wheel speed
12. IAT
13. Pan vacuum
14. I know I'm forgetting some sensors...LOL!

Here is the list of my complete FuelTech FT600 kit:

We bought the remade wiring harness and then built our own sensor harnesses. Some of the basic sensors are in the FuelTech wiring harnesses.

1702317436015.png

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
DOES FUEL TECH CONTROL THE 8 SPEED ,I KNOW OF ANOTHER CAR ON FUEL TECH I BELIEV IN FLORIDA THAT HAS THE 8 SPEED HP90 BUT IM NOT SURE HOW USER FRIENDLY IT IS

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Than why is Holley used so much
I KNOW FROM MY CONVERSATIONS WITH MARC HEIDINGS THAT HOLLEY IS VERY USER FRINDLY AND DOES LIVE REAL TIME FUEL ADJUSTMENTS SO ITS EASY TO TUNE THE FUEL FOR SURE

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
I KNOW FROM MY CONVERSATIONS WITH MARC HEIDINGS THAT HOLLEY IS VERY USER FRINDLY AND DOES LIVE REAL TIME FUEL ADJUSTMENTS SO ITS EASY TO TUNE THE FUEL FOR SURE
Don’t need user friendly when you spend this kind of money you have to pay for them to help you all the way. Logs and more logs.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
How many suspension travel sensors?
I imagine they want to see the front and rear, both sides?

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
FUEL TECH AND HOLLY ARE DEFINITLEY A GOOD CHOICE WHEN WANTING TO GO TO A 7 SECOND CAR CONSISTANTLY ,AS WELL AS CHANGING THE DRIVETRAIN TRANSMISSION TO DIFFERENTIAL FOR DURABILITY OF COURSE,,,, BUT 98 PERCENT ON THIS FORUM WILL NOT GO TO THAT EXREME BECAUSE THEY STILL WANT TO STREET THE CAR AND DONT WANT TO SINK 100,000 PLUS DOLLARS TO DO IT AND THAT WOULD ONLY BE THE BEGINNING OF THE MONEY IT TAKES BECAUSE EVEN WITH THE BEST AVIALBLE AND BEST TECHS DOING THE WORK SHIT WILL STILL FAIL. BECAUSE ITS JUST PART OF THE GAME ,LOOK AT THE DRAG PAKS ,IF YOUR GOING THE COMPETE WITH THOSE GUYS YOUR MOST LIKLEY GOING TO BE REFRESHING THE MOTOR EVERY 20 RUNS OR SO ,IM ONE TO ADMIT I MYSELF WITH JUST WHAT I WAS DOING WITH MY CAR WHICH WASNT NEARLY THE INVESTMENT WAS GETTING TIRED OF SOMETIMES DROPPING 5 K IN A WEEK ... I CANT FIT INTO THE BIG BOY PANTS THATS REQUIRED TO STAY IN IT , MOTORS AND MOTORS AND MOTORS AND EVEN THE BEST HAVE MOTORS COME APART

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
I know they got one for the 6r80 but have not heard of one for the Hellcat or TH trans. If they did id be all in!

DOES FUEL TECH CONTROL THE 8 SPEED ,I KNOW OF ANOTHER CAR ON FUEL TECH I BELIEV IN FLORIDA THAT HAS THE 8 SPEED HP90 BUT IM NOT SURE HOW USER FRIENDLY IT IS

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I WANT TO SAY BILLY HERNANDEZ HAS THE FUEL TECH ,BUT MIGHT BE MISTAKEN AND HES RUNNING TURBOS AND AN 8 SPEED

Tuckerracing

Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Whitehouse
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Holley is coming out in 2024 with a plug-n-play system that will also control the factory 8-speed, is what I was told by Holley, will see when it gets here.

I will be going to FuelTech on my new build and would highly recommend FuelTech for anyone wanting to build a car with a th400/glide set-up.

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
Holley is coming out in 2024 with a plug-n-play system that will also control the factory 8-speed, is what I was told by Holley, will see when it gets here.

I will be going to FuelTech on my new build and would highly recommend FuelTech for anyone wanting to build a car with a th400/glide set-up.
You boys are going to let r eat

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I'm going to love watching all you guys kicking ass at the track.