Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Add me to the 9 second club

TEXAS REDEYE

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
PASADENA
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 HELLCAT RED EYE
I took a journey to get to this point. During the summer I had a 2.85 upper, 180 degree thermostat, catless mids installed. I also had suspension links installed so my 17" rims would fit. To be honest, I was pretty bummed out with a rating of 714 rwhp on the Mustang dyno. This was from a baseline dyno of 616 rwhp. I think they called the dyno a 'heart breaker'. I received the tune and the work was done by Peitz Performance near Katy, Texas.

I took the car and made some passes as is at Lone Star MOPAR Fest in early October when the DA was around +2,000. It was a hot and miserable day at Houston Raceway Park. My best time that day was 10.424 @ 133.94 and considering I had a 2.85 pulley I expected a lot better time.

I had been thinking about getting a set of Demon springs, but don't have the tools or knowledge to install them. Luckily I have a buddy who is a mechanic so I bought the Demon springs and had them installed.

I was invited to a track rental at Houston Raceway Park on November 3 and looking at the weather reports, it appeared we would have real good weather. When I arrived I was first in line and the guys there were doing an outstanding job of prepping the track. I have full seats and full weight and the only prep I do was putting the Mickey R's (305/45/17) at 18 psi.

Since on only prior runs had a PB of 10.424 my goal was to get into the real low 10's, maybe in the 10.teens or even 10.zeros. I figured that only in a dream would I get into the high 9's.

So the track was ready and I lined 'em up. My Mickey's made a nice smoke show. As the green light went on, I revved up the car then launched hard. No spin, no nothing, but haul ass down the 1320 feet.

I knew I had made a great pass, but I didn't know what the time slip said as the time slips were at the starting line. Since I was the only one running, I made another immediate pass and this one felt the same as the first one. Pure hard launch, no spinning, no wheel hop. I did notice I was going into 5 th gear real near the end of the quarter mile, maybe about 50 feet from the end the car shifted.

I parked my car and walked over to the clip board and got both time slips, and there it was, the glorious 9.991 @ 136.95. I was literally blown away with the 60 foot times of 1.453 and 1.454 on the runs. There is no doubt in my mind that the Demon springs allowed my car a lot better launch than before I had them installed.

The question is this..........Do I have a 9 second car? Yes I do, however it took negative DA to get the time slip. As the day warmed up and the weather got hotter, I made a 10.07 and a 10.16 pass, which shows how much of a difference DA makes. Was my 9 second pass a 'hero' pass.........NO, because I was immediately backed up with a 10.02 and a 10.07 pass. Had I made the 9.991 pass followed up with 10.2 or 10.3 passes, then I would say I made a 'hero' pass.

9 SECOND SLIP.jpg

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Congratulations!

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Congrats!

DA makes a huge difference. I normally only make passes in the spring and fall.

As far as dyno numbers go, it may be cool to have a number but being everyone is different I don't get to caught up in them. As long as you hook at the track, those are the real numbers of how much power your car has. One of my old cars ran faster then others that said they made 150 more hp on the dyno then mine did

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
You did it, the conditions were that, CONGRATS! Enter the time etc. on the RE 1/4 mi thread. Nice work.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
Congrats!! [driving]

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Yes . You have a 9 second car . You have a time slip to prove it . It feels good to get that slip doesn't it . Lol I framed mine and hung it on the wall in my garage

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
TEXAS REDEYE

TEXAS REDEYE

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
PASADENA
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 HELLCAT RED EYE
Thread Starter #7
Yes . You have a 9 second car . You have a time slip to prove it . It feels good to that slip doesn't it . Lol I framed mine and hung it on the wall in my garage

I made a copy of it and laminated it so I can carry it in the car, just in case someone talks trash to me, I'll just pull out the slip.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I made a copy of it and laminated it so I can carry it in the car, just in case someone talks trash to me, I'll just pull out the slip.
Nice . That's a great idea!

RonHellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
FL
Country
United States
Congrats

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Nice! Did they kick you off for no roll cage now? :)

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
Great job! Congrats on the 9 second run.

I've personally been quite surprised(and truthfully disappointed) at just how air sensitive these things are. I have a considerable amount of blown motor experience in all sorts of weather and have never seen anything as air dependent as these cars.
Ah well, they're still a blast even in the sticky slow weather.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
9 SECONDS IS AWESOME MAN I DONT CARE WHAT THE DA WAS ,THE CAR MADE THE PASS ,THREFORE IT COUNTS EVERY OTHER CAR RUNS THE SAME DA WHETHER ITS POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE DA ON THAT DAY,, AWESOME JOB AND WELCOME TO THE 9 SECOND CLUB(y)(y)(y)

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Did you have any runs before the 100hp increase?

If the prep was great, you could have experimented with raising the pressure in the tires, that may have put those 10.0s into the 9s as well.

OP
TEXAS REDEYE

TEXAS REDEYE

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
PASADENA
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 HELLCAT RED EYE
Thread Starter #14
Nice! Did they kick you off for no roll cage now? :)
Nothing was said. Had it been a test and tune night, no doubt I would've gotten my hand slapped, however since it was a rental, nobody said anything.

Then again they may not have cared given it was such a high 9. Had it been a 9.7 they may have said something. I really don't know.

My goal is to have a test and tune night with -1000 DA make a couple of 9 second passes and get tossed. :LOL:

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
Dynos are BS and should only be used to nail down the tune

4400lbs (assumption) at 137mph is 870whp!!!!

You have a 9 second car. Look what Dodge did to get the Demon's record. Congrats

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Congrats on the 9 second pass !
Alex is a good tuner & the Mustang dyno is a heart breaker to those that are expecting a large # but it's more real world. The only # that matters tho is the track ET's.
Alex also tuned my HC.

What was the DA on Nov. 3rd ?

OP
TEXAS REDEYE

TEXAS REDEYE

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
PASADENA
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 HELLCAT RED EYE
Thread Starter #17
What was the DA on Nov. 3rd ?
The DA was -325 when the first pass was made, then quickly moved to the positives as the day wore on.

OP
TEXAS REDEYE

TEXAS REDEYE

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
PASADENA
State
TX
Country
United States